Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Decriminalize medical marijuana? » Archive through November 23, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Legal pot for very ill gets lift
Big petition seeks state vote

November 21, 2007

BY DAWSON BELL and NAOMI R. PATTON

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS

LANSING -- Michigan residents may get a chance to vote next fall on whether to decriminalize the use of marijuana for medical purposes, after supporters of the idea submitted nearly a half-million petition signatures to state elections officials Tuesday.

The Michigan Coalition for Compassionate Care claimed to have gathered the signatures of 496,000 registered voters, far in excess of the 304,000 required to put the issue before the Legislature and, if no action is taken, to state voters.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071121/NEW S06/711210394/1008/

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

please just do it

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3773
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just say "YES!"

Zxzm
Username: Zxzm

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes.

The_ed

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NooooooOOOOoo

The_ed

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, yes, yes

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was going to be on the ballot a long time ago...but they had a meeting to discuss the implications and one thing lead to another and by the time everyone left...they lost the petition

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the burnouts and doctors of UofM teamed up with the great agricultural minds at MSU we'd be the medical marijauna R&D capitol of America. It might be the industry that reshapes the region. God knows we have plenty of good salesmen in the area.

I can just see the cost of weed skyrocket when Merck starts slinging it and insurance companies pay for it. Everyone and their brother will have glaucoma and hyper-tension.

IMO, yes, give the dopers 5 or 10 years to prove it is effective and doesn't do great harm to the community.

Amiller
Username: Amiller

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand that this is the first step toward decriminalization and eventual full legalization, but why should the question at hand even be if marijuana can be used medicine or not? Why would the question even be if it is addicting or not, or what the effects are? The only question should be of the right of a government to control what we put in our own bodies.

Drug prohibition is deadly, far more deadlier then the drugs themselves. It causes gang violence, murder, police corruption, billions of dollars wasted, it unfairly targets poor people and people of color, it even causes wars in countries such as Colombia.

If pot and other drugs were legal, with age regulation, crime would decrease drastically, especially violent crime and organized crime. We must also ask ourselves, what is more important: "the war on drugs" or human life.

I will agree that drugs are a problem, but it's not a crime problem, it's a HEALTH problem. Money for the drug wars should be reallocated to rehabilitation and education programs that will HELP peoples lives, not destroy them (and thinking economically, the money will be a much better investment). What ever happened to compassion anyway?!

Kjwick
Username: Kjwick

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about we allow physicians to prescribe the canabanoids that provide the analgesic effects of marajuana.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes!
vote yes!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, decriminalize it...

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because prescriptions manufactured to deliver canabinoids are much more expensive, much more difficult to get and more difficult to metabolize.

Kjwick

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd,

more expensive - i agree, they would be
more difficult to get - good "prescription" drugs should be.
more difficult to metabolize - that's not a correct statement.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Inhaled acts faster, without the needles...

"In a study comparing THC administered via oral, inhaled and intravenous routes, plasma levels peaked almost instantaneously for both inhaled and intravenous forms, whereas oral THC was the slowest to reach the circulation, most participants' peak plasma levels occurring at 60 or 90 minutes, although the average time to reach peak levels was about 2 hours."

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, growing pot is a green technology. The carbon footprint of growing cannabis is negligible or negative, as opposed to manufacturing pharma pills.

Kjwick

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, absorption is different, but metabolism is not.

is the attempt to treat acute or chronic pain? my understanding is chronic, and so the delay in reaching appropriate plasma levels most likely wouldn't matter.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, wouldn't matter to you. But pain comes in waves. And the option of being able to medicate yourself on a short-term basis is desirable.

Your arguments are lawyerly, don't show a heck of a lot of sympathy, and miss the point. You make me tired, mister ... :P

VOTE YES

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this is a DY poll, I vote yes, I will vote yes if on the ballot, and I signed the petition.

P.S. - decriminalize it

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2756
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These thread usually start out about medical marijuana.Then the pot smokers get on a go on about all kinds of crap.

There is likely valid uses for marijuana. Multiple sclerosis sufferers have advocated it's use. As for it being a pain reliever; hardly. There are plenty of pain relievers around that work better than marijuana. However to those that have a legitimate reason it shoud be available w/o possible criminal ramifications.

I am a bit skeptical of some in the medical profession as they might say the benefits of marijuana and other things have not been demonstrated_ to which I say if the sufferer finds it helpful that is good enuff for me.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover, My friend has ms and has severe pain and has tried all kinds of legal meds and they do not work as well as mj. They also cause side effects like impacted bowel and other symptoms. The mj does not cause these symptoms. Are you speaking from experience or ignorance.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6517
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are there people thinking that legalizing MEDICAL marijuana is the gateway to legalizing all marijuana? It's not like if htis legislation passes anyone can go into a doctor's office and get it. Legalize it so it can be used as pain management- pure & simple.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2757
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did say ms patients should be able to use it stotter. I am simply saying if people are advocating marijuana as an analgesic there will be resistance from the medical profession.

I have engaged in this debate every time it comes up here. I am sorry for your friend.I believe he/she should have anything available that relieves suffering.

The folks that like to get high are not helping the cause. There is zero empathy for the highgetters amongst the public at large_ most people just don't care. I think most people however are sympathetic with those that suffer. When those that get high try to join ranks with those that are looking for relief....it brings the legitimate users down and lessens their credibility.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 620
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least you're not entering this thread with your usual claim of being uninterested in the topic. You're never late on these threads, cl.

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend's mother used marijuana (in her hot chocolate, as she couldn't stand the thought of smoking it) to help relieve some of the very nasty side effects of chemotheraphy. She suffered from a very agressive form of breast cancer, and it really helped with her pain, nausea, and lack of appetite.

I understand people's hesitance when it comes to the issue, but when I think of how it helped Mrs. S through her last days, and how it made her comfortable enough to focus not her cancer, but on helping her family cope with the inevitable, I can't help but think the whole argument is ridiculous.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Henry Ford built his first model T with the intent that it would run on biomass fuels citing hemp as the primary candidate. Now that we have come full circle and have returned to biomass fuels, where is the movement to legalize industrial hemp? The medical marijuana campaign is scrutinized for being an excuse to legalize a recreational drug, but who would disagree with an industrial hemp campaign(except maybe a petroleum or paper producer)?