Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Campus Martius ice skating « Previous Next »
Archive through December 13, 2007Plymouthres30 12-13-07  11:55 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11091
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, I'll be there.

We're at the Park, right?

Better get out of here, I've got work to finish up in Royal Oak...cannot believe it's NOON already.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 323
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes we are! Seeeeeeeeyaaaaa!

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like, from this webcam view, that the Campus Martius Ice Rink is FULL of people...
Skaters

but then, I see it was just dust on my computer monitor...

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went skating at CM last Sunday with my wife and our niece and nephew. It was pretty full, but not to the point that it felt restrictive out on the ice.

I and a few other patrons were hypnotized by the sight of the Lions closing in on a victory against the Cowboys on the Au Bon Pain plasma screens...until they blew it in the final minute.

Skating was fun, though!

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7_and_kelly_kid -
14493 : between Chalmers and Celestine.
Our house and a number of others in that stretch are gone too.

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kid_dynamite - Have eaten at Eph's at least once a week since it opened on Woodward. Haven't been disappointed yet!

J32885
Username: J32885

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been driving by the rink lately, I don't see a lot of action during the daytime. Usually, the late afternoons and evenings are a bigger draws for people at the rink. Hopefully next month, I'll be taking my girlfriend to the rink for some ice skating.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have a clue about CM. My mom used to take me down to "rink" in front ot the Bob-Lo boat departure dock in th late 50's. Skate around and had fun. I don't think/remember if you could rent skates, nor what the "price" was to access the facility. Bit..10+ years later...and more...Midnight Madness @ Windsor Arena, Ice Follies ? Mack & Wayburn, and Gordie Howe Hockeyland on 9 Mile. Memories?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 458
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Memories?

None whatsoever. Campus Martius is amazing, that's all I know.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During the day, most kids are in school and most adults are at work.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 665
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work there as a rink guard. yes, attendance is sporatic. But evenings are pretty well attended, and weekends and holidays and winterblast ALWAYS pack the house...

I think the boards are a great idea. I had to help ten million kids and adults up off the ice... without the boards it would have been way worse...

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 314
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

100 people skating right now

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't lived in Michigan for 21 years. Forgive me for being naive. Where is CM?

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skating downtown is fun, but I feel it's too small of a rink to really relax and skate. 100 people at once would be way too crowded.

I wish they'd set up a big outdoor rink on Belle Isle, or near the river. You could set up some amazing hockey games on a big sheet of ice.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steamaker--everything you want and more is at:

http://campusmartiuspark.org

I sometimes sit and work in the Au Bon Pain window seats, looking out at the skaters. Attendance fluctuates during the day but picks up toward the end of the workday.

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tex

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought they fixed up Flynn Pavilion and brought ice skating back to Belle Isle. Whatever happened with that?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6710
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there still a rink in Hart Plaza? I still remember skating there eons ago and remembered how between the place where one laces up to the ice surface was a strip of concrete (great for your skate edges). It was still fun though skating those circles, looking up in the night sky and seeing the Ren Cen in the background.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billk said, "During the day, most kids are in school and most adults are at work."

In Mischissippi? Right....

Where are they really at?

Cynknight
Username: Cynknight

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Queensfinest, spreading more love and sunshine on yet another thread, I see.

Seriously, you're free to post anything you want as often as you want (following the forum rules, of course) - but I'm amazed that you seem to find it fun to spend your time trashing the Detroit area. What did Detroit do to you the two years you spent living here? Just curious.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like a recommendation- I'm back in Detroit visiting family, and I'd love to go ice skating downtown. What would be the best time to go, which times are the most/least crowded? Or does it just depend on the weather?

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, yeah, the Gordie Howe hockey rink was a neighborhood affair about once a month for us on the East Side. Somebody's mother would pile us into their station wagon and we'd spend the whole day. My ankles would tingle and ache like crazy.

Fun, but had to be a completely different experience than skating like they do in NYC: outside, downtown, with the city all around. To me, it's an apples and oranges thing. Next trip home, though, I'll have to "take it outside".

Figebornu
Username: Figebornu

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I had my way, this bump in this road called Woodward Avenue would be restored back to the way it was - a straight path to the river. I ache with pain everytime I see how Woodward Avenue is disturbed with this iceberg called called a skating rink. Please my fellow Detroiters, this is not New York's Rockefeller Center. Wake up. Also, how dare they put this suburban-style Compuware Building in the heart of downtown Detroit. That piece of land should have been saved for a real sky building -say like 40-60 stories high. Whoever plans the terrain of downtown Detroit needs to be fired immediately.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 318
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

/\ This oughtta be good.

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This might be the first time I've ever heard someone express such distaste for the Campus Martius. Do many others share these sentiments? Personally, I really love CM.

I agree that I am also partial to taller high-rises and kind of wish that Compuware had been built to make an impact on the skyline, but I still like the look of the building. Plus, shouldn't we take what we can get and not be so particular? Because I like Compuware a hell of a lot more than a vacant lot. I mean, I would be thrilled it if Quicken would unveil plans to build a 40+ story tower at the Hudson's site, but as long as that parcel is developed, I'm not going to be that picky about it. It's still progress, even if it doesn't precisely fit your individual tastes.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 432
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im confused regarding the above comment, Campus Martius is probably the most succesful venue designed in Detroit in the last 40 years. It has turned out to be a catalyst for bringing metro Detroit together and last year nominated as one of the top ten gathering spots in a U.S city..Im glad we didnt "save" this spot for a possible undetermined, unknown and non existant 40 story highrise... We would have a area full of decay presently if we did,

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 343
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing to be confused about except ignorance and someone who it seems never gets out of his car.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2272
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Figebornu, you do realise that it is one of the best public spaces in North America, right?
http://www.pps.org/info/newsle tter/december2005/us_canada_sq uares
Tell me that you liked better the way that it was before:
http://www.pps.org/info/newsle tter/thirtieth_anniversary/gre atest_hits_7

"Nothing to be confused about except ignorance and someone who it seems never gets out of his car."
Yeah, that must be why Campus Martius bothers Figebornu so much--one driving down Woodward has to make a few slight turns in his car, something that didn't have to be done just a few years ago. The straight line to the river is disturbed!!

Figebornu

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CM voted one of the best public spaces in NA? Give me a break. What voting system did they use to vote for this - the same one that they used in FL and OH during the Bush elections?

Another thing....I generally do not drive. I walk, ride my bike and take the bus in this city and region that has literally destroyed itself for refusing to get together and take advantage of hundreds of millions of federal dollars to built a mass transit system. This has resulted in what a U of M professor calls "transportation apartheid" because, for instance, a young black kid cannot get from Gratiot and Mack to Pontiac, etc. unless he has a car. This segregated area called Metro Detroit has allowed the legal robbery of hundreds of thousands of both white and black people who cannot take advantage of the resources of SE Michigan. It is sinful. But beware, I am working on fixing this.

Stay tuned!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3373
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"young black kid cannot get from Gratiot and Mack to Pontiac unless he has a car"

too good to take a bus?

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is there more than one rink downtown?

i drove by some ice about a week and half ago and if what i saw was the rink, i could put a bigger sheet in my backyard and my lot isnt very big...

Figebornu

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And of course I am glad that the area was developed. But it should have been done in a more permanent, distinguished style. CM looks like it may wither in a bad storm.

Figebornu

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup asks if the black kid is "too good to take a bus?" First of all a handful of Metro Detroit communities have voted not to even let buses pick up or drop off in their communities. Secondly, the so-called bus systems in Metro Detroit are so ancient that one may die in February waiting for a bus that may or may not come.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3374
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltdave, according to previous discussions here the rink is 64'x120'. It's also refrigerated so it can withstand a 50 degree ambient air temperature.

"CM looks like it may wither in a bad storm"
You're new to the area, aren't you.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Figebornu, is that you?????????

http://www.figebornu.blogspot. com/

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4831
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Campus Martius is great, of ALL the things to complain about in the city, that is nowhere NEAR even the middle of the list.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 463
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like how that guy's title at the end of his blog is:

"Fige Bornu, Chairman
Positive African Image Institute"

F*ck off.

Figebornu

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Detx:

www.figebornu.blogspot.com and www.myspace.com/figebornu
and more

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 808
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

weird, very very weird.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2277
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Please my fellow Detroiters, this is not New York's Rockefeller Center. Wake up."

Figebornu, your favorite public space was on this list too
http://www.pps.org/info/newsle tter/december2005/us_canada_sq uares

So you can't say this about the PPS group:
"CM voted one of the best public spaces in NA? Give me a break. What voting system did they use to vote for this - the same one that they used in FL and OH during the Bush elections?"

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to get too off topic here, but I never knew Mad Cow disease is genetic.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.