Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Former 8th police precinct open to trespass and vandals « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2134
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit (WWJ) -- The former 8th police precinct on Detroit's Northwest side once served to protect the community but now it's opened to trespass and vandals.

Detroit sold the property on Grand River and McNichols Road along with other city owned property to raise 30 million dollars to help close the budget gap, but the developer has yet to do any thing with the property.

So far, attempts to secure the 8th precinct have failed and the windows and doors are open to whom ever wants to venture inside.

Former 8th precinct police/community group President Sandy Kanakis has lived in the area for 17-years and wants the building secured.

"With the weather getting colder, I'm sure there's people going in and trying to take a little bit of shelter from this weather we have," Kanakis told WWJ's Florence Walton.

The precinct was closed after a police department reorganization in 2005.

A spokesman for the City of Detroit says the property was sold to a developer last May. As a result of our story, the city says it has been in contact with the property's new owner and will have him secure the building.

http://www.wwj.com/EXCLUSIVE:- Closed-Precinct-Eyesore/132625 1

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2135
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like this would be an easy dilapidated structure on which the city could impose some code violation fines. They just sold it; so they must know who owns it. It can't be like a majority of run down properties in the city that even if they wanted to fine the owner, they don't know who it is.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The former 5th Precinct building at E. Jefferson and St. Jean was razed a few days ago.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3315
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't the former 5th going to be a Homeland Security Office?

Iddude313

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think its going to be an immigration office.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 224
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good. It bummed me out to see that new "tenants" had moved in to the 5th Precinct.

Iddude313

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was all excited about the 'Cannabis Cafe' that the new tenants were going to open.
hehe.

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Isn't the former 5th going to be a Homeland Security Office?"

No No No... it's going to be the HomeLESS INsecurity Office...

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1525
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I was all excited about the 'Cannabis Cafe' that the new tenants were going to open."

Cannabis Cafe? where? when? how?
Can I buy stock? What about buying some.....uh....tea......yeah!- that's it: buy some tea!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.