Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Get rid of that fist statue » Archive through December 11, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the way the moderation is set up on the site. No ifs, ands or buts if the admin or mods decide to ban you. Then it's at their own discretion on who all gets banned. That's why you need to either have a tight relationship (personal) with them, or just control your opinions.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on December 10, 2007)

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 308
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess is that when the argument becomes personal, then you're gone. The point of most of these threads is usually to try to develop discussions that are relevant and on topic.

Many threads go sideways very quickly here due to that fact. The fact is is that most of these threads can evoke strong feelings in regard to the subject of the thread.

The name calling starts when someone feels one-upped and it goes from there.

The worst part is that most of the folks that end up stepping over the line actually would have a valid point if they just stayed on topic and remained less personal.

Can we get back to discussing the fist now?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 570
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. Fist bad. Must go. All Detroit's problems vanish once fist go. (thanks for the POV, PR & DR. The guy who turned me onto this site told me that old hippies were behind DY. I guess if Jerry Rubin could switch sides, others could too).

Peace.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about if Windsor had a fist as well.......same size and all, and we the Detroiters
will want to symbolically bump fists with Windsor and we all yell "gimmee a bone, dog!"
Would that be a more friendly gesture?

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 645
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally some one is starting to get what i've been saying all along.

Come one Windsor, don't leave us hangin'!

The_ed

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was this artist commissioned to create the fist?.... or did the artist create the fist long before
the city of Detroit decided to use it for display?........like, the artist had sculpted a huge fist and
it was sitting around in his studio with shirts hangin' on it or something like that.
Then the idea hit him! "I gotta sell this thing so I can pay rent and buy some groceries."

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10959
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was commissioned. If I am not mistaken it is a to scale replica of Joe Louis' actual fist. That might just be a myth but he was certainly commissioned to do it.

Of course with many commissions I am guessing the work and design was completely the artists.

Missmich
Username: Missmich

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya'll are really funny. Tell a white person that its silly and wrong for them to take the first as racist when all you have to do is look at a black person sideways and its a *racist act* My, my, so many two faced double standards here

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4112
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Missmich, any credibility you could possibly have went out the window a long time ago. Remember, before your Misscleo and Michigansnowflake user names were both banned for making blatantly racist and offensive statements?

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the BLANK is Miss talking about?

(Message edited by cub on December 11, 2007)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4113
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, nothing new from Misscleo/Michigansnowflake/Mis smich. Her track record here shows she feels she must post in any thread involving race, and express her distaste for those who don't look like her.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 576
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LODGE,
Cleo is banned? I didn't know...

The fist is great and i think it must stay. Its a great symbol of power.

The_ed

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"RIGHT ARM!"

Jt1

Post Number: 10960
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What the BLANK is Miss talking about?

Cleo likes to point out how many unfair challenges white people face in our society. She knows that life would be much, much easier for her if she were black.

In summary, she is a fool that leans towards being racist.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3146
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In summary, she is a fool that leans towards being racist.

Leans toward? Her most famous quote on here was, "I'm racist and proud of it". No leaning involved.

The_ed

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She leaned so far she fell off the blog.

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_ed, it was commissioned by Time, Inc. for the city of Detroit and the artist was Robert Graham. Here it is on his website, including photos of its casting.

http://www.robertgrahamartist. com/civic_monuments/joe_louis. html

The artist had and has also made other monuments using individual body parts, torsos, heads, headless bodies. The fist seems to fit in with his other work.

I love the monument and the only problem I have with it is that it's placed in the middle of that large intersection. It doesn't really invite closer inspection out there.

And if people consider it "racist" I think it's because those few people have tried to appropriate it as such and not because it is.

Jt1

Post Number: 10964
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess some of the posters would be happier if it was never bronzed. Looks pretty 'light' in this picture.

http://www.robertgrahamartist. com/civic_monuments/joeLouis_g allery/joeinprog1.html

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be happy if the posters just stop nagging at it and sink in the reason for the statue.

The_ed

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanx Elsuperbob.................

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 442
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its best on here just to keep your opinions to yourself I guess. Sorry If I pissed off a bunch of people, but I do think this fist is one piece of controversy that Detroit doesnt need. It is already the most racially divided city in the country and this doesnt help. As a matter of fact just goes to further the cause.

I guess its only ok for people of color to feel racism and express it. Im sure Im the only one that this piece of art makes feel this way.

Jt1

Post Number: 10966
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I guess its only ok for people of color to feel racism and express it

Not true at all but in the same vein the work and the intent behind the work is well know. Racism exists on both sides of the color aisle. The issue is when people start finding racism/hate when it doesn't exist.

You complaining about the strcuture being racist and hateful towards whites is as ridiculous as Al Sharpton's plan to thwart Chicago's bid for the Olympics.

You both do a major disservice to the real issues that exist.

Jt1

Post Number: 10967
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I guess its only ok for people of color to feel racism and express it

Not true at all but in the same vein the work and the intent behind the work is well know. Racism exists on both sides of the color aisle. The issue is when people start finding racism/hate when it doesn't exist.

You complaining about the strcuture being racist and hateful towards whites is as ridiculous as Al Sharpton's plan to thwart Chicago's bid for the Olympics.

You both do a major disservice to the real issues that exist.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 572
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it's buried somewhere above and I missed it, but I'll ask: does anyone know by what process the concepts for the fist/space were reviewed? How was the piece selected?

Answers might help to frame the perceptions/lack of perception populating this discussion.

Jt1

Post Number: 10971
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Graham selected the Woodward-Jefferson site after he saw several locations in the city. "I don't like the idea of sculpture gardens where the work is isolated," he said. "I wanted Joe to be in the center of the city, right in the middle of the street with people driving and walking by it. And I like having it near the Hart Plaza designed by Isamu Noguchi because I respect his work."

Not selected by city officials to post a sculpture saying "Stay out whitey"

Sorry for my sarcasm but the continued attempt to make this more than a piece of art and a memorial to a famous Detroit is extremely tiring.

The_ed

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't we all pool our monies together and have a boxing glove designed
to fit the fist and THEN see how it effects people?!

Jt1

Post Number: 10972
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and more:

quote:

"Making a statue of a fighter would have been a limited image of Joe Louis," said Robert Graham, the sculptor responsible for Detroit's monument to the late heavyweight boxing champ. Instead Graham created a 24-foot bronze arm and fist suspended from pyramidal support beams that stand 24 feet tall. His Monument to Joe Louis at Jefferson and Woodward, commissioned with a $350,000 grant from Sports Illustrated magazine, came as a gift to the city.

I guess SI saw it for what it really is, a monument to Joe Louis.

I would recommend anyone that sees this monumemt as racist immediately suspend any SI subscriptions and contact them asking why they hate white people and don't want them in Detroit.

Jt1

Post Number: 10973
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

\quoteWhy don't we all pool our monies together and have a boxing glove designed
to fit the fist and THEN see how it effects people}

Then people would insist that the city is trying to cover up something and make wild accusations about that. The city can't win once some people get something stuck in their head. Just another illustration of why this region will never, ever move forward.

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 159
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto on the thanks Elsuperbob...
Merry Fistmas!
One love.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6877
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KEEP THAT FIST UP It represents Detroit's BLACK POWER! unlike that that black owned car wash on 8 Mile Rd.