Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Book Club « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgive me if this has been posted before but:

Shit, we all get in these exciting race debates with even the most harmless thread. I propose a Detroit book club. Non residents would be included. Everyone would read a book and discuss it. The beauty of it is we could have facts to back up our points, or quote books with opposing views. It may lead to an intelligent discussion besides your racists and I am prejudiced and may break down some of the hatred between the races on just the Detroit Yes Board. Than we can take it to the world. Hahahahaha *Evil Laugh*

Bruce Fortner, Texas Industrial Areas Foundation-interracial coalition that used racial debate among races to strengthen their solidarity.
"Its effect was to bring anger to the table. Even in this organization we tend to be nice to one another. Sometimes we get caught up in our own cliche-how bad ..people are... "

Dry Bones Rattling, Mark R. Warren

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 328
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't tell Oprah about your idea, she'll be pissed and try to take credit for it........

Your suggestion is a good one and starting off with a common book might just get us all on the same page(pardon the terrible pun).

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How bout an easy read first? Anyone else game or have suggestions?

Land of Opportunity: One Family's Quest for the American Dream in the Age of Crack (Hardcover)
by William M. Adler (Author)

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 589
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get what you feel to be consensus, name the book and I'll give it a try.

I'll tell ya, though, lately I've been thinking that this forum is only good for what we've been seeing here: pithy, bad one-liners and logic resembling Swiss cheese. Too damn easy for the intellectually dishonest and the intellectually incapable to elbow their way to the adults' table.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.