Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Lego Detroit Cityscape at Max Fisher Center « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3165
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heard about this on the news:

http://www.detroitsymphony.com /main.taf?p=5,2,1,135

Cwl704
Username: Cwl704

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the mention off my clubs layout :-) http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi- bin/gallery.cgi?f=289771

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5897
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did someone say LEGO?? :-)

Great job Chris!

I met many of the members of the Michigan Train Club at the NMRA (National Model Railway Association) convention at Cobo Hall in July 2007, where they had an even larger layout. An awesome group of AFOLs (Adult Fans of LEGO)! The folks in this group have built large scale models of the Fisher, Penobscot and Stott towers, as well as other buildings of Detroit.

One day we will see the Guardian Building... which will probably eat up the available world supply of Orange and Tan LEGO bricks... :-)

There are over 100,000 adult LEGO fans worldwide, and that number is growing yearly. Back in 1986 when I first contacted the company about obtaining spare parts, they thought that adult collectors were a rare breed.

But since then... with the internet, and with the over 100 LEGO and LEGO train clubs worldwide, it was a bigger phenomenon than what The LEGO Group (HQ in Billund Denmark) ever imagined.

Great layout! And a great light rail system!

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, when I first saw this thread I did a search for you on google, and I found a link to a website with your work on it, but the link was dead. Do you still have a website with photos of your buildings somewhere?

Gistok

Post Number: 5899
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah that's an old link.

Try these two:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi- bin/gallery.cgi?f=140015

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi- bin/gallery.cgi?m=Gistok

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 237
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comerica Tower would be cool made out of Lego's. I still have 2 giant rubbermaid containers in my basement full of Lego's.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is my rendition of "Old Slumpy".

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4188
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, from those pictures that looks great! But I think I saw the Joker over by the train station, better keep an eye on him.

LOL at Thnk2mch

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Legos are awesome!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2047
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, you da man!! Looking forward to your production of the Big House. Great recruiting tool for not only players but also for a coach.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, um, how can I build myself a LEGO Fisher Building? I take it someone made instructions, right? I cannot imagine, with how expensive those things are, how much cash in LEGO you'd have in something of that size.

Gistok

Post Number: 5902
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I know that the Fisher Building alone cost the builder Jim Garrett about $1,000 worth of LEGO bricks! I'm not aware of any big models being made with homemade instructions. Maybe some graph paper to mark the footprint, but that would be about it. It's an acquired talent! :-)

And just where could you get tens of thousands of LEGO bricks in the sizes and colors that you want?

That would be Bricklink. Bricklink has over 2,000 sellers worldwide, each with their own online LEGO store:

http://www.bricklink.com/store List.asp

Both CWL704 and I have stores in Bricklink. His is under his "CWL's Extras", and mine is "Gary Istok Historic LEGO". I mainly stock rare items that others don't carry.

Locano
Username: Locano

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is awesome! I wish I had heard about this sooner so I could have made it down there to see it! (Unfortunately I can't make it today/tonight)

When I was in Chicago about a month ago, we stopped at the Lego store on Michigan Avenue and they had some of Chicago's landmark buildings such as the John Hancock Center on display. It was pretty awesome. I would love to see the same thing for Detroit.

Cwl704

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got home from the DSO from our teardown.I will say one thing the snow didn't stop folks who go to symphonys.There were a ton of families there today.DSO did a nice thing this year..unlike last year they allowed folks who weren't going to the concerts to come in during concert hours and look at our didplay...class thing to do IMO(I'm told they had allot of phone calls asking to do this and changed there policy).Jim(a fellow MichLTC member and builder of the huge versions of Detroit buildings) has updated his pictures with some more shots.Chris http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi- bin/gallery.cgi?f=289771

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2667
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome display!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6667
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Utterly amazing.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2668
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also have to say that the DPM looks just a tiny bit different in the Lego display than it does in real life.

Although, if it looked more like the Lego version, there would probably be a lot more people riding it.

Cwl704

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fn,If you are talking about the color scheme it is the official colors of the DPM right now(instead of the old green and yellow strips) however they(the cars) are all covered with adds right now.I had photos and art work sent to me by a DPM pr person.He has even said if I sent in a picture they would put it in there next DPM flyer/info sheet.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.