Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Greenfield Village Holiday Nights « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 835
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone ever go to this? I am taking my girl tomorrow. It will be her first trip to The Henry Ford. I am a member of THF/GFV, and I am excited for her to experience this great place!

Anyone have a review of the event?

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 148
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dress warmly! My wife and I went last year and, even with thermal underwear, it was cold walking through the village. They do have several buildings open where you can get warm, as well as hot drinks for sale. You had better check to see if the Museum will be open, or just the Village. They had the Cotswold Cottage set up like a U.S. Army outpost in England during WWII, complete with soldiers in uniform inside and a couple of vintage Army vehicles parked outside.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've really enjoyed it, very Currier and Ives. If you happen by on the right night you can even catch Mr. mackcreative blowing glass.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 174
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been just about every year with the family and am going on the 23rd. Great time if you dress warmly. Stop by the beer hall for a hot rum and cider to get that fire back in the belly. They also have bonfires every 75 yards or so. It's impossible NOT to be in the holiday spirit afterwards.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you are there, remind them to send the Cohen Millinery back to Bagley & 20th streets. Corktown misses it.

http://www.wrenscottage.com/gv m/village/cohen.php

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 689
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corktown would probably really miss it if it wasn't for Ford Motor Company. It would've probably been leveled 30 years ago. They get little credit for how much history they have preserved.

Detalum
Username: Detalum

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We visited it last year for the first time, and my wife enjoyed it so much that she suggested it to her boss as a possible location for their annual Christmas party. Needless to say, we are going this Saturday to her work party in the village.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3216
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, how far in advance did they have to buy tickets, I wonder. It sells out all the time.

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We went last year. Loved Santa on the roof and his reindeer in the front yard. It was very enjoyable but do wear several layers of clothes. It was wicked cold out there!

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, like the Matrix Theater on the same block.

0%2C-8.760302695341853,http:// maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=42 .326404,-83.08019&spn=0.005235 ,0.013561&z=17&om=1&layer=c&cb ll=42.324785,-83.080087&cbp=1, 313.01360055249125,,0,-8.76030 2695341853

Boo-Yah!

Detalum
Username: Detalum

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup

I'm not sure how far in advance that the company actually made the reservations for admission and dinner at the Tavern, but they started inquiries well over 6 months ago.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to Holiday Nights last night. It was wonderful. Pretty cold, but we dressed in layers. Had dinner at "Taste of History"--it was terrific! Santa's reindeer unfortunately were "resting" so we didn't see them. Definitely put us in the Christmas spirit!

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sussex, I was surprised to see the fireworks last night and was joking that one would have to be crazy to be out in that cold. Glad you enjoyed yourself. As for me I was happy to watch the fireworks from a nice warm house.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3402
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Holiday Nights and we had dinner at the Eagle Tavern, too. It was a wonderful experience... just outstanding.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1615
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the glassblowing. They do candy canes and change the design every year. It's very cool. ON a side note, most of the glassblowers have their degrees from CCS. The dinner thing is cool, lots of fun. But you have to sign up for it very early because it sells out. You can get on a e-mail list if you want to find out about it.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, if you want to do something along the lines of the Holiday Nights at Greenfield Village, the Huckleberry Railroad and Crossroads Village does something similar, the Christmas train in fun. Just did this last weekend for something different. It is run by Genesee County Parks and is just north of Flint.

http://www.geneseecountyparks. org/genesee_county_parks.htm

9936sussex

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13: Curious as to how the dinner at the Eagle Tavern was. It sounded like a great idea, but I thought the price was high. Did you think the food was good, and was it worth what you paid for?

Hawthorne
Username: Hawthorne

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the Festival Singers. They sing outside the Liberty Craftworks Store dressed in Victorian costumes and many other layers underneath. Great voices and arrangements of both sacred and secular Christmas songs.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3418
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9936: the Eagle Tavern dinner was an absolute feast, with the kind of dishes they would have served in the mid-19th century. The food was excellent, and there was a lot of it. They even accommodated the vegetarian in our party, and didn't just serve veggie side orders for that meal -- no, there were special entrees and alternate dishes prepared.

We spent a lot of money but it was just great. I even liked the "pork-and-apple pie," which I thought sounded horrifying at first (the apples in there weren't sweet; they blended in). There was a "12 Days of Christmas" sing-along at the end that was really fun... other entertainment and music, too. My only, minor, complaint is that we were rushed in our meal a bit because there was another group coming in after us.

9936sussex

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13: Thanks for the information, we may have to do that next year.

Bob: I purchased a few of those candycanes this year (I have them for previous years too). I LOVE them. They make wonderful stocking stuffers and hostess gifts!

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a tiny correction: only one part-time glassblower has a degree from CCS. The rest schooled elsewhere, though Mr. mackcreative did teach at CCS.

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a tiny addition: Mr. mackcreative is one hell of a talented glassblower. Truly a rare craftsman in his field. I own a nice piece of Reticello glass by him and you wouldn't believe the comments I get on it. If anyone goes, be sure to check him out kicking his skills (if he's there) and the new Calcedonia Glass line in the Liberty Craftworks Store- It'll blow your mind...

(Message edited by Korridorkid on December 20, 2007)

9936sussex

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Korridorkid" I've seen the Calcedonia glass, and also the Rivers stuff. Really spectacular. I'm also a BIG fan of the chandelier in the Museum shop. The Martini set is wonderful too!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.