Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Why don't people pick up after their dogs? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mbshan
Username: Mbshan

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've been living in the charlotte and peterboro area for about five years now. when i first moved in there certainly wasn't much foot traffic let alone people with dogs. this has changed dramaticaly since then. i walk my dog around the brush park area daily. whenever my dogs dumps i pick after her. i have seen many people with their dogs every day who NEVER pick up after them! what's up with that? there is poop everywhere. come on people pick up after your dogs! i just venting because i know i will be stepping in it again real soon!

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 587
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tragedy of the commons - the streets and sidewalks belong to everyone so they are cared for by no one. Dog crap = another sign of diminishing civil order & deterioration of community.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's what happens when people don't respect their neighbors or neighborhoods. not localized to detroit, but certainly very true here....

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 514
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i guess i'm "that guy"

i thought picking up dog poop was a relatively new thing.

i don't ever remember even thinking about it 15-20 years ago.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

trust me
europe is much worse
theres no vacant lots to let the doggie do his/her business in
it was a land mine field every morning
dare i say- i walked in the street

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3337
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I try to pick up after my dog because I hate it when other dogs poop on my lawn. But, I have to admit, when it is dark out I don't pick up. I have tried, but frankly I cannot always find it and I don't want to search around too much, if you know what I mean.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 451
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe its the same reason there is so much trash on the streets of Detroit. Fast food bags, empty water bottles, clothing, old couches, old cars, beat up brokendown radios, metal parts from cars and who knows what, pill bottles, condoms, old toys, cardboard boxes, etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Doggy owners -- please clean up after your dogs and yourselves.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I walk my dog I go down Woodward toward the State Fair past the graveyard.
I used to just let him crap along there in the grass but since that area has been 'beautified', I now
pick it up everytime. People used to 'curb' their dogs by letting them crap in the street,
but folks don't even do THAT anymore. If you don't pick up after your pets you should be fined.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 4126
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't most cities have ordinances regarding this?

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 231
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Ann Arbor has a poop and scoop ordnance, I don't know about larger cities?

I live in Indianapolis and there is no such ordnance.

The_ed

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There should be an ordinance. Seems like the only people who do complain about it
have to find a stick to clean the crap from between the treads of their shoes. It's really
bad when you don't realize you stepped in it until after you get home.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 158
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Living in Hamtramck you should see the strange looks I get when people see me picking up after my dog

The_ed

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like Jerry Seinfeld said:
Aliens looking down on us from space see a dog leading US around and we pick up their crap.
They may think the dogs are in charge.

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An older article from the Freep about picking up after your dog... http://www.redorbit.com/news/b usiness/465665/doggy_doo_is_a_ big_dont/

From the SEMCOG Site http://www.semcog.org/OursToPr otect/7SimpleSteps/CleanUpAfte rYourPet.htm

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They may think the dogs are in charge."

In some families they are.

Nasa is still hoping to even find a microbe out there.

The Universe series on the History channel is fascinating.

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Picking up after your dog is not a new thing. 25 years ago, when I was eight, my mother always sent me out with a ziploc (larger size- we had a german shepard) when I took the dog on a walk. It was about being a good citizen and respecting other people's property.

When people let their dogs dump on my lawn and don't pick it up I have no problem opening a window and calling them out on it. My kids should not have to worry about dodging bombs when they play out front.

The_ed

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aoife, I agree with you. "It was about being a good citizen and respecting other people's property."

Drjeff
Username: Drjeff

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just in Paris for a week and dog shit is everywhere. I stepped in it twice. That and seeing a guy taking a dump in a subway tunnel were the lowlights.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3379
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's harder to pick up at night... I always take a flashlight along with plenty of plastic bags if I'm out with my dogs after dark.

The_ed

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother lives in Germany and frequents Paris. He says that Paris is
"one of the filthiest cities in the world. And the smell could knock a buzzard offa shit wagon."

Mbshan
Username: Mbshan

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have to wonder what folks would do if they had their own yard? i'm sure they would pick it up. wouldn't they? i have to agree with Jtw this is total disrespect of the neighborhood and the city itself! i have had homeowners say things to me about my dog using their yard and i have showed and told them that i pick up after her EVERYTIME. i just try to make a mental note to keep her off of their yard the next time. It's a shame cities have to have ordinances to tell people to clean up. To me that's just another part of the responsibility of owning a dog.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3458
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paris and Amsterdam are the worst dogshit cities in the world. Mojo Nixon has a great song called Amsterdam Dogshit Blues.

London is the opposite, there are free bags and receptacles all over the parks and people WILL come after you.

People just walk away from it without a second thought. You can tell by the looks on their faces if confronted with their laziness.

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never lived in a city or town that didn't have pet waste ordinances. After all, it's only common sense. Who wants that on their sidewalks?

Worse yet, it attracts rats and insects. And in this weather it freezes to the ground and will still be there come spring.

People too squeamish to pick up after their pet don't deserve to have one.

And by the way, that goes for cats, too. I hate finding Kitty's latest litterbox choice is the planter on my porch.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 264
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This dog owner will not leave the house for a dog walk without baggies and a scooper. It's common courtesy as well as a health consideration.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3355
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live on a corner, the strip of grass on the side, no one picks up, I think they think it's nobody's property. Well, I have to cut, trim it, etc and I don't appreciate all the crap

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 513
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The same reason they don't pick up after themselves... they're too damn lazy.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why don't people pick up after their dogs? "

Same reason people can't be troubled to throw their empty 25-cent chip bags in the trash instead of the ground.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5903
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After reading the last few posts I am reminded (against my will) of the time when my parents dogs used to find their own frozen poop in the backyard and... (censored)...

...that was just disgusting, and explains why I do not wish to be licked by anyone's dog!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.