Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » ISO Chuck Hughes story - help him out Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4356
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This arrived in the mailbag today. While three forumers are called I am sure any others with info would be greatly appreciated. Lets give him a Detroit helping hand.
quote:

Mr. Boileau:

I am a freelance writer in the process of researching what I expect will one day be a biography of Chuck Hughes, a former professional football player with the Philadelphia Eagles (1967-'69) and Detroit Lions (1970-'71).

As you may - or may not - know, Mr. Hughes, while a member of the Lions, collapsed and died on the field at Detroit's Tiger Stadium on October 24, 1971 during the final moments of a game against the Chicago Bears. It was later determined that the 28-year-old was suffering from an advanced case of arteriosclerosis.

Long story short: one of the wrinkles I'm trying to work into my manuscript is the addition of the impressions of a handful of people who were in Tiger Stadium that day as fans. I've talked to literally dozens of Mr. Hughes' Lions' teammates, coaches and even opponents. But the memories of the "man on the street" fascinate me.

For months, I had been trying to elicit the help of several relatively prominent Detroit sportswriters in this endeavor - but to no avail. After failing with that group, I started researching bulletin boards related to Detroit issues - like the one you've created. I have been able to accomplish in just a few weeks what I'd been trying in vain for months through the working press.

To this date, I have opened up dialogues with two people who will be wonderful sources for this book. Three others have responded - but I have no way of contacting them.

That being said ... I was hoping you might be willing to contact three members of the DetroitYES! site for me - for no other reason than to pass along MY E-mail address to them. I'm NOT asking you for their E-mail addresses - only that you'll pass along my E-mail (with a short explanation of my intentions - mentioning my book on Chuck Hughes should suffice) with a request to contact me.

The three members have the following screen names:

Sharms

Ticub

Kathleen

My E-mail address is: JeffHaag [at] mcleodusa.net.

This is a wonderful site you've created. Like I say - I was able to accomplish more here in a couple of weeks than I had through the 'working press' of Detroit in six months. If you could assist me with this step, I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you, in advance ...

Jeff Haag

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, I think I read on an earlier thread, maybe about Tiger Stadium, That The_Rock was at this game.

stromberg2, Thanks for letting me join this site, you have done a great service to the city.

Jaja
Username: Jaja

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do have a memory of that moment... The game was on TV and I distinctly remember watching
the 'action' of the players moving from right to left on the screen, but noticing a lone player at the bottom of the screen falling to the turf.. later I learned that player to be Chuck Hughes.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11114
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not directly related, I was in the player's section of the Silverdome when Mike Utley broke his neck, sitting with Lomas Brown's now ex-wife.

Witnessing a 70k-plus filled enclosed stadium come to such an absolute silence for the ENTIRE time it took to get the ambulance on the field and him extricated to the hospital was simply one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

I don't remember anyone uttering a peep.

Hanging at Lomas' house afterwards was crushing, seeing these strong and very capable men...Lomas, James Jones, Gary James, and a few of the other gladiators...facing their OWN mortality in the face of Utley's simple accidental fall.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2048
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of us who were at the game have been in contact with Jeff Haag on another thread. (Detroityes Sports Forum)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.