Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Campus Martius Wine Bar « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071213/O PINION03/712130400

Dropped by last night. The price of bottles seemed to have a nice range, from $30 - $90. There are a 8 or so flights that are available for around $14.

Some of the flights were...

Chard
Cab
French
Italian

You can tell the place went up quickly as there are some things that still seem like they need to be finished. There is a nice view of Campus Martius out of one window, but the bar obstructs the other views.

There is a small "appetizer" menu. Various cheeses, Bruschetta, olive plate. Sammys were also on the menu for $7. They all seem reasonably priced for a nicer place.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2141
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit & Paris? Interesting to have those be the locations of your establishments. Must be the French connection...

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2377
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is America's Paris.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4154
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds like a really cool place that I didn't even know was in the works. I think the First Nat. location would work well for that. I wish them well, and I'll show up when I make my first million.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2378
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wish them well, and I'll show up when I make my first million.

It's not really that expensive, lol.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4155
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Starting at $7...I'll wait. It reminds me of Melange/Rush Street in Ann Arbor...not where students usually hang out.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2379
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^I forgot you were still a student. If Detroit comes on line as anticipated, a $7 drink downtown will be a distant memory in 5 years.

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds nice. I think I'll visit next time I'm Downtown.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11728
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What flavors of Boone's Farm do they typically stock?

(Message edited by supersport on December 14, 2007)

Lmcdet
Username: Lmcdet

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going soon, I want to support a Detroit business. The more people we get to visit different establishments in Downtown (or anywhere in Detroit), the more other business will step up to setting up shop in Detroit. Just my opinion.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4156
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha let's hope not, Iheart. It's all about diversity in drinking options, though. Foran's Irish Pub is right down the block, i.e.

This place sounds very creative. The effort is there and that's why they hopefully succeed.

What kind of signage is there? I hope they have a street presence.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3349
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a step up from many of the Downtown bars = welcome addition

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS, I've heard they carry Country Kwencher, Snow Creek Berry (My personal favorite), and Strawberry hill.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3352
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Bartles and Jaymes

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4365
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they want to be truly Fin de siècle Parisian, the should have Absinthe on the menu - finally legal again after all these year.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a nice bottle of Absinthe from France that I'm just waiting for the perfect occasion to open it for.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did Absinthe get legalized?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4045
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there is some legal pseudo-absinthe available. I wouldn't recommend genuine absinthe after seeing photographs of brain tissue affected by the stuff.

From Absinthe:
quote:

A faux-absinthe liquor called Absente, made with southern wormwood (Artemisia abrotanum) instead of grande wormwood (Artemisia absinthium), is sold legally in the United States and does not contain Grande Wormwood. This was the first US approval referring to "absinthe" on the front label; the front label says "Absinthe Refined" but the US Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) classified the product as Liqueur.

In 2007 the first legally available absinthe has been approved for sale in the United States. These brands must pass TTB testing, which is performed by the Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry method and TTB considers a product to be thujone-free if the FDA's test measures less than 10ppm thujone.

(Message edited by Jimaz on December 14, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2145
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even though it is best known for being a chemical in absinthe, recent tests show absinthe contains only small quantities of thujone, and it is not responsible for absinthe's reported hallucinogenic effects. Thujone acts on the GABA receptors in the brain and does not cause hallucinations. In many countries the amount of thujone allowed in food or drink products is regulated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T hujone

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 662
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think that would be a nice place to stop for a "nicer" drink after skating... Coach Insignia is WAY out of my league... but this place... more m style... (if i'm looking to... whatever the opposite of slumming is) - andy

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stopped by last night for some Bruschetta and some wine........they have done a nice job with a small space. Not expensive at all, with a nice selection of wines.......and regular alcoholic drinks and beers as well. They did say that the owners also owned Sangria, not sure if that was discussed earlier.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ran into a guy at Salad Creations on Woodward. He said he was the owner of this wine bar and owner of Salad Creations. Can anyone verify this?

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering when downtown would get a dedicated wine bar. I'll be there next time I'm in town...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.