Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Angelina's Bistro » Archive through December 12, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know when this place is set to open?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10970
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometime between now and never, seems like it is closer to never.

**Just my speculation, no inside information**

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3272
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not much going on there, looking in the window it looks the same as it has for awhile

Rax

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guys at Stubhub let me go through the building a few nights ago. Lot of work to be done.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 237
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where is it? what is it?

Rax

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Madison Theater. Broadway and Randolph (I think)

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

broadway and witherell; grand circus park.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's start a poll...which opens first Angelina's or Shield's Pizza?

Hopefully, both of these developments, get thru their own red tapes issues and/or delays and are open for the Spring of 2008!

Rax

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the Mercury Bar v Como's?

Lmcdet
Username: Lmcdet

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the Post or Justin's?

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comos is racist anyway. We were at friend's house this summer in Palmer Woods - just south of 8 mile. We called Comos. They said the "don't deliver to Detroit". The host said well do you deliver to Huntington Woods and they said "yes" not to Detroit. I won't ever step foot in there again.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 403
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can see why you're upset. There is a lot of crime in Huntington Woods, right? The drivers probably never get tipped there, right? It would make perfect sense to blacklist HW.

There are legitimate reasons why they made that business decision to not deliver south of 8 Mile a long time ago.

Jt1

Post Number: 10988
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There are legitimate reasons why they made that business decision to not deliver south of 8 Mile a long time ago.

Just as there should be legitimate reasons for people who live south of 8 mile to not support their business.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2783
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are those legitimate reasons?

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because businesses that blacklist Detroit don't deserve our business. Duh.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK you little racist kid_dynamite - why do you assume that everyone south of 8 Mile doesn't tip and there is crime issues there? The stretch of homes between Livernois and Woodward and 7 and 8 Mile are one of the highest density middle class & racial diverse neighborhoods in the City. What makes them so less deserving than Huntington Woods?

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 489
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is that considered racist? It's anti-Detroit but not racist. Actually it's racist to say that they are being racist because you are stereotyping that the citizens of Detroit are one race. I take personal offense to this.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 226
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say the business couldn’t care less if the driver gets a tip, it’s convoluted logic to suggest that the business would prefer not to make the sale due to the fact the driver doesn’t get a dollar or two as a gratuity.
Businesses don’t have it like that; to pick and choose which orders to accept using the tip scale as a determining factor.
Now I would think they are not delivering because the business would fear the order is a hoax and the driver might get robbed.

Also isn’t there like a $1.00 or $1.50 added on to the bill that the driver receives? Or does the business get that money?

When I lived in Detroit I had a very difficult time finding a pizza place that would deliver to us.

The Dominoes in River Rouge did deliver to our area, and sends out flyers in the mail as well.

Rax

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've got to draw the line on the delivery zone somewhere. Who cares if Huntington Woods and Palmer Woods were equidistant from Como's. If I'm a business owner in Ferndale, 8 mile seems like a logical place to draw that line.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3285
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone ever deliver pizza??

I did for a friend that owned a pizzeria. It can be scary, obviously you have money on you, so you are a prime target.

Saying no deliveries south of 8 Mile is generalizing, but how do you draw a line to protect your employee from robberies or harm??

It is easy to say "That's unfair" or "That's Racist!", but if YOU owned the pizzeria and you wanted to reduce the chance of your employee be robbed or harmed, what would YOU do??

Jt1

Post Number: 10989
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What are those legitimate reasons?

Comos chooses not to deliver to Detroit. While a minimal thing it is a quality of life issue. I would much prefer to support a business that supports Detroit. If Comos decides that Detroit is not worth their business it is clear that they do not want the business of Detroiters.

To me this is a clear of case of why Detroiters need to support Detroit businesses or businesses that support Detroit.

I'm sure that the people at Comos have even considerd the fact that the communities like Green Acres and Sherwood forest are probably wealthier than the average Ferndale family that they will happily deliver to.

I am glad that Granmont pointed this out I so I can ensure that friends/family are aware of this and do not support Comos.

Will it have a dent in their bottom line? Probably not but I think it is important to support businesses based upon decisions those businesses make.

Jt1

Post Number: 10990
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BobJ - That is fine and it is their business decision. It will be my decision, and hopefully others here, to sway people from spending money at Comos.

Now I am curious if anyone knows the answer to this question:

Has Comos ever delivered to Detroit? Are they basis this decision on assumptions or experience.

If it based on experience it is certainly more understandable than if they just chose based on assumptions to never deliver to Detroit.

(Message edited by jt1 on December 12, 2007)

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been to Comos 2 times in the last 2 years. It was this time of year & the place was overly decorated for Xmas with too many santas and lotsa animated dolls and trains, tinsel and trees. The food is not great and the atmosphere was blah-zay.
I had lasagna once and it was not-to-die-for. That place is over-rated. It's semi popularity is due to it's good location.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 404
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Granmontrules. You can call me racist all you want. That was not my opinion. That was the actual reasoning behind their decision.

JT1, yes they did. Like I said, there are reasons why they decided not to continue.

Jt1

Post Number: 10991
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kid.

I still will not be supporting Comos but decisions based upon history are a little more justifiable than those based upon assumptions.

Maybe they need to identify problem spots as opposed to 'anything south of 8 mile'

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 757
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I delivered for Domino's in college.
The owner wouldn't deliver to a certain lower income area because the drivers would get pizza's stolen alot and most drivers didn't want to go there because the tips sucked, and it was a little out of the way.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2785
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing is being black listed.The reasons for not delivering in Detroit are so damned obvious. It is crime.It is the amount of crime that dictates this policy.

The irony is that if Detroit did not have a crime problem people could order delivery from Detroit businesses. But few businesses will locate in the city for precisely that reason.

Rax

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Jt1, If Como's ever did open a restaurant in Detroit, you wouldn't support it?

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1358
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL; you never disappoint CL. like a broken record...

Jt1

Post Number: 10993
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So Jt1, If Como's ever did open a restaurant in Detroit, you wouldn't support it?

Pointless question since it will never happen.