Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » A blizzard is coming! » Archive through December 15, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 843
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we've seen worse, but it's the metro areas first significant "forecast" snowfall of the season, with very strong winds complicating things. Looks like travel on Saturday night and Sunday will be very difficult and slowwwww going.

From the NWS:

LIGHT SNOW IS EXPECTED TO OVERSPREAD THE AREA LATE SATURDAY AFTERNOON... BECOMING HEAVY BY LATE SATURDAY NIGHT. PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH EARLY SUNDAY AFTERNOON BEFORE STARTING TO TAPER OFF. TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 10 INCHES WITH SOME LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED BY SUNDAY EVENING. NORTHERLY WINDS WILL ALSO INCREASE TO BETWEEN 20 AND 30 MPH ON SUNDAY CAUSING REDUCED VISIBILITIES DUE TO SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW. SOME SNOW DRIFTS MAY EXCEED TWO FEET DUE TO THE STRONG WINDS AND BLOWING SNOW.

And the forecast for the Jackson, Ingham and Calhoun counties looking even more severe:

LIGHT SNOW WILL BEGIN TO FALL THIS AFTERNOON...HOWEVER A PERIOD OF HEAVIER SNOW IS EXPECTED TONIGHT INTO SUNDAY. ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW IS LIKELY THROUGH SUNDAY. BY SUNDAY...NORTH WINDS GUSTING 30 TO 40 MPH WILL CAUSE CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF THE SNOW WITH NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS POSSIBLE.

Mind_field

Post Number: 844
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitely worse south of the city: This is for northwest Ohio from the NWS:

SNOWFALL WILL DEVELOP TODAY AND INTENSIFY TONIGHT INTO SUNDAY MORNING. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 10 TO 15 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS. NORTHEAST WINDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 40 MPH ARE ALSO EXPECTED AND WILL CREATE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW THAT WILL SEVERELY IMPACT TRAVEL IN THE AREA THROUGH SUNDAY.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 274
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great timing. My daughter's wedding is at 3:00 today and we have a few dozen folks in from out of town, some driving, some by plane. Looks like their return trips home on Sunday are going to be a lot of fun.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1899
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i bet we get 3 inches, max.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets see, if Chuck Gaidaca or any other Channel 4 weatherman (not meterologist) predicted it we will not get one snow flake. Hey Channel 4 says it will snow tomorrow, get out your bathing suit because it will be sunny and in the 80s!

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 314
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone wanna help me find a job and house in Alabama?
Last I checked it was still in the 70's down there.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Anyone wanna help me find a job and house in Alabama?
Last I checked it was still in the 70's down there."

What does ave I.Q. have to do with snowfall?

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alabama State Motto: Literacy Aint Everything

Mind_field

Post Number: 845
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"i bet we get 3 inches, max"

Yeah, it seems the forecasted amounts are almost always on the high end of what we actually end up getting. Although i do remember about 10-11 years ago, we were forecast to get a dusting to an inch, and we actually got 6 inches.

Cincinnati_kid
Username: Cincinnati_kid

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife is hoping for way more than 3 inches

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1793
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ Were still talking about snow right, lol.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1900
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My wife is hoping for way more than 3 inches ••

don't get me wrong, i am too. the biggest thing i miss about where i grew up, rochester, ny, is some DECENT snowfall in the winter. there, 1-3" of snow is basically built into the forcast, and doesn't garner "team storm coverage" from the local news outlets. the last 9 winters i've been here, other than a few notable exceptions, i've been steadily dissapointed.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 257
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So has his wife.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 235
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yes, Indianapolis is at DEF-CON 2.

Confidence is high...

All DPW crews are ready for an imminent attack by mother nature that will last until Sunday evening.

DPW crews went out on ambush last night and pre-salted the roads.

Snow is rumored to be several divisions in strength.

Troops are ordered to hunker down and hold their positions
------------------------------ -------------------

It has just started to snow, pretty steady rate actually, I was thinking of sneaking out for a hot minute for a couple of errands this morning, but I may pass on that idea.

Local television is saying pretty much the same thing for Indianapolis as they are saying (stating) for Southeastern Michigan: 10" and up.
Plus the ever-so-fun 40 mile an hour winds.

We'll see, as some have stated in this thread a few people think we are looking at a few inches.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY! CHA-CHA-CHA/CHA-CHA-CHA/ FIESTA! Accuweather has us in their 6-12 inch zone, potentially paralyzing zone, and has 9 inches for the city in their forecast. However, this is looking just like that '05 blizzard for us.

Mind Field, the discussion from NWS Fort Wayne/Northere Indiana is even better. I'm sure the one from Cleveland is good too.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's funny, I bet if I had posted this thread (which I debated on day in and day out), I would have gotten such nasty comments back.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, about that CLE discussion, the models have been trending that swath further Northward as time progresses, which is why DTX and GRR has been expanding their advisories further NW too. So we could very well be looking at 10-15 inches (like we did in the city back in January of '05).

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 241
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let it snow, let it snow let it snow! Let it paralize the city! Its been a long time since we have had a good snowstorm! Happy Holidays to Everyone!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4158
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interestingly, the Detroit area weather radar is broken now. They better have that fixed by, say, midnight as a needed forecasting tool.

There will be two low-pressure points with this storm, and apparently at some point tomorrow morning one will be over Cleveland-area and one will be over in eastern PA/NJ. This is setup is good for transporting Gulf and Atlantic moisture this way. The heaviest snow will be from Southern Michigan along Lakes Erie and Ontario to upstate NY.

I'll be placing my money on 11 inches in downtown Detroit and 10 inches where I am in Ann Arbor.

Gary, congrats, have fun anyway.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 134
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BRING IT!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I'm waiting for Ghetto_butterfly and Smogboy to come in and say "I believe it when I see it, the weather man don't know what they be talkin' 'about."

(Message edited by DetroitRise on December 15, 2007)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4159
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or Miss_cleo (or whatever her name is now) to tell us how they had three feet of snow up in Petoskey two weeks ago.

Of course, northern Michigan is being completely spared with this storm.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a light snow outside my window of fine flakes.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The streets have gotten snow covered quick!

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 140
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing in the northern burbs (Shelby)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A NWS GRR Update (11:20 AM)-

"SHORT TERM...(1120 AM EST SAT DEC 15 2007) (THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH
SUNDAY)
THE NEWEST TRACK OF THE STORM TAKES IT TO NEAR TOLEDO. THIS TRACK
SUPPORTS HEAVIER SNOW FURTHER NORTH AND WEST. THEREFORE HAVE
UPGRADED THE WATCH AREA TO WARNINGS. ADDED A NEW WATCH FURTHER
NORTH AND WEST TOWARD LDM. WILL HAVE NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS IN
THE FORECAST. IT APPEARS THAT IN EXCESS OF A FOOT OF SNOW COULD
FALL IN A BAND SOMEWHERE IN THE WARNING AREA.

I DID INCREASE POPS TODAY TO ACCOUNT FOR THE AREAS OF SNOW. THE
MODELS STILL SHOW A DRY SLOT ARRIVING EARLY IN THE EVENING. THIS
COULD LEAD TO A 6 OR SO HR PERIOD OF NO SNOW OR FLURRIES."

Toledo would be too close for comfort when it comes to DTX's 4AM discussion:

"ONLY CONCERN AT THIS
POINT WOULD BE IF THE TREND TO THE WEST CONTINUES...POSSIBLY PULLING
WARMER AIR INTO SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN ALOFT AND YIELDING A MIX OF SNOW
AND SLEET IN MONROE COUNTY. THE THREAT OF SHIFTING THAT FAR TO THE
NORTHWEST OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS SHOULD BE MINIMAL AND WILL LEAVE
FORECAST WITH ALL SNOW FOR NOW."

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 244
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its hitting Harper Woods right now. i got the Ariens 3 stage all set to go!

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 989
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner #1477: Laugh-out-loud clever.

Scooter 2k7: Also funny.

Thanks for the laughs.

P.S. I agree with comments re: Channel 4. If I happen to be watching 4 and there's even a hint of an upcoming weather report (like a WW III alert) I switch channels.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 322
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woo Hoo! It snowed for a whole hour! There's a dusting on the ground! What a blizzard!

pffffffffftttt