Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » A blizzard is coming! » Archive through December 15, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's 1AM I mean, then 2AM on Daylight savings. 12z is 7AM and 8AM. 09z is 4AM and 5AM. 18z is 1PM or 2PM. 00z is 7PM or 8PM.

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/prod_overview/local_gmt_conversion.shtml

(Message edited by DetroitRise on December 15, 2007)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4166
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a nice something from NWS IWX:

"BAND OF HEAVIEST TOTAL SNOWS
WHITE CO NE TO MARSHALL TO ELKHART TO BRANCH/HILLSDALE MI COUNTIES
TO AROUND 15 INCHES."

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1569
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What's funny, I bet if I had posted this thread (which I debated on day in and day out), I would have gotten such nasty comments back.

Have you ever asked yourself why? Sometimes we find that the problem doesn't lie with the other people.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have, and if it's what I'm thinking, I frankly don't care.

Anyway, it started snowing again on the eastside.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Winter storm warning for: Windsor - Essex - Chatham-Kent
Issued at 3:44 PM EST SATURDAY 15 DECEMBER 2007
A NEAR-CRIPPLING SNOW STORM WITH HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW AS WELL AS SOME ICE PELLETS TONIGHT AND SUNDAY. THIS IS A WARNING THAT DANGEROUS WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE IMMINENT OR OCCURRING IN THESE REGIONS. MONITOR WEATHER CONDITIONS..LISTEN FOR UPDATED STATEMENTS.
A MASSIVE WINTER STORM IS ABOUT TO STRIKE MUCH OF SOUTHERN AND EASTERN ONTARIO WITH NEAR RECORD SNOWFALL AMOUNTS. LATEST ANALYSES INDICATES THAT THE DEVELOPING LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IS MOVING INTO WESTERN TENNESEE PRECEEDED BY A BURGEONING AREA OF MODERATE SNOW WITH SOME FREEZING PRECIPITATION EXTENDING NORTH TO LAKE ERIE. THE LOW WILL MOVE NORTHEAST TOWARDS THE LOWER GREAT LAKES AND INTENSIFY RAPIDLY AS IT REACHES OHIO SUNDAY MORNING THEN TRACK ACROSS NEW YORK STATE INTO NEW ENGLAND SUNDAY NIGHT. THIS STORM TRACK WILL PLACE MUCH OF SOUTHERN AND EASTERN ONTARIO DIRECTLY UNDER THE BRUNT OF HEAVY SNOW. A FEW CLAPS OF THUNDER ALONG WITH BURSTS OF VERY HEAVY SNOW ARE ALSO LIKELY. PATCHY AREAS OF SNOW HAVE AFFECTED PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN ONTARIO TODAY AS WELL AS A LAKE SNOW BAND MEANDERING ACROSS TORONTO. THERE IS A CHANCE THAT THIS BAND MAY INTENSIFY THIS EVENING OVER TORONTO GIVING LOCALLY 5 CM OR MORE. THE BRUNT OF THE MAIN SNOW EVENT WILL BEGIN THIS EVENING IN THE SOUTHWEST AND RAPIDLY ENVELOP ALL REGIONS EAST TO OTTAWA IN THE OVERNIGHT HOURS. COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF SNOW AS WELL AS STRONG WINDS CAUSING BLOWING SNOW ARE EXPECTED. FREEZING RAIN IS ALSO POSSIBLE NEAR LAKE ERIE. WIDESPREAD SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 20 TO 30 CM ARE EXPECTED IN MOST AREAS TONIGHT AND SUNDAY. SOME LOCAL AMOUNTS OF 40 CM OR MORE ARE QUITE LIKELY IN A FEW AREAS BY SUNDAY NIGHT..ESPECIALLY FROM THE WEST END OF LAKE ONTARIO AND EASTWARDS INTO FAR EASTERN ONTARIO. SIGNIFICANT BLOWING SNOW IS EXPECTED TO ACCOMPANY THE HEAVY SNOW DUE TO STRONG NORTHEAST WINDS GUSTING TO 60 KM/H WHIPPING UP THE FRESHLY FALLEN SNOW AND CAUSING WHITEOUT CONDITIONS. IN ADDITION FREEZING RAIN IS POSSIBLE ESPECIALLY NEAR LAKE ERIE FOR A FEW HOURS OVERNIGHT AND SUNDAY MORNING AS MILDER AIR PAYS A BRIEF VISIT ALOFT. ICE PELLETS ARE ALSO QUITE POSSIBLE GENERALLY ALONG AND SOUTH OF A LINE FROM GRAND BEND TO NEAR TORONTO AND EAST TO CORNWALL. THE PUBLIC SHOULD BE PREPARED TO CHANGE PLANS ACCORDINGLY TO AVOID UNNECESSARY TRAVEL DURING THIS STORM. THIS MASSIVE SNOW STORM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO CAUSE NEAR-PARALYZING CONDITIONS AS ROAD TRAVEL ON ANY UNPLOWED STREETS MAY BECOME NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE ON SUNDAY. ALL MOTORISTS WHO MUST TRAVEL ARE URGENTLY ADVISED TO USE EXTREME CAUTION AND PLAN FOR MUCH EXTRA TIME TO REACH THEIR DESTINATION. THERE IS A HIGH DEGREE OF CERTAINTY WITH THIS STORM AS THE CONCENSUS OF WEATHER MODEL DATA IS VIRTUALLY UNANIMOUSLY FORECASTING THIS EVENT. ENVIRONMENT CANADA CONTINUES TO CLOSELY MONITOR THIS SITUATION. THE WINTER STORM WARNINGS WILL LIKELY BE EXPANDED NORTHEAST ACROSS THE REMAINDER OF THE REGIONS THIS AFTERNOON."

This is a forecast for Metro Windsor.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not that I honestly trust the weather channel too much, but this map should make you happy Detroitrise. Projected amounts as of 6:30.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're about 10-15 minutes too late. I've already seen it and it makes me more than happy!

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4167
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://radar.weather.gov/radar .php?rid=DTX&product=N0R&overl ay=11101111&loop=yes
and check the Northern Indiana radar to see something really ominous. Impressive large bands of heavy snow are already forming.

The pieces are beginning to come together; we're looking at 15-20 hours of decent snowfall.

I didn't make it to town tonight--mostly because I couldn't get Red Wings tickets--but that will probably turn out for the best.

Cris
Username: Cris

Post Number: 502
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope it holds off until late Sunday so they don't have time to clear the roads by Monday morning... we need a snow day!

Elviswithteeth
Username: Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! All that snow looks so much like fun! Thats ok....you folks in Michigan can keep it.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, either way, the side streets will probably still be bad enough.

If anything, it will be toning down Sunday Evening. However, the Drifting and Blowing may linger into that night.

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can somebody help me out here? We had flurries about a half an hour this afternoon (about noon) in Farmington Hills. The Kroger was PACKED! But when walked out of the store 30 minutes later, the flurries ended and it hasn't snowed since. So what's really going on? What's really expected?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2420
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"A blizzard is the inside of a buzzard."

-- Stan Laurel

Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Expected? Michigan weather has a mind of its own! Have shovel...will travel! Happy Holidays!

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elvis -- we'll keep the snow ....AND our water.

Feeling a little parched?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Can somebody help me out here? We had flurries about a half an hour this afternoon (about noon) in Farmington Hills. The Kroger was PACKED! But when walked out of the store 30 minutes later, the flurries ended and it hasn't snowed since. So what's really going on? What's really expected?"

Thank you for at least admitting you didn't know what was happening instead of attacking the weather man or forecasts. Good question.

Anyway, The snow from earlier was basically just a result of the Warm Air Advection and some lift. However, the lift didn't make it into the snow growth zone, which is why they were so tiny Then after that, a pretty massive mid-level dry slot moved in. Usually, when those move in, it dries out the mid levels of the atmosphere, and that usually limits the formation of snow in the atmosphere. Now, we're back into the dynamics, moisture (and even instability) of the storm system and places are seeing larger flakes and rates due to this and the flakes reaching the best snow growth region in the atmosphere.

Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not at all parched...Pffft. Thanks for reminding me why I left Michigan but I wont hold that against ya. Happy snow fall!

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 846
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"No snow here in SUNNY Nevada! Have fun!"

No water crisis here in lush, verdant Michigan, have fun!

Geez, i'd rather deal with snow and cold than have serious doubts about having enough drinking water for the burgeoning local population.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4168
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's on now. Heavy snow in Ann Arbor, northeastward to the CoD and inner suburbs.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4054
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This ex-desert rat thinks it's pretty darned exciting!

¬ Have snowblower, will travel (to the end of the driveway) :-)

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oohhh...ok... it's snowin' here now....

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, it's REALLY coming down here in NE Detroit.

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the METARs, every airport in Michigan south of Saginaw and Muskegon is reporting "light" snow, except for Troy, which is reporting "moderate" snow. Of course, most of these are automated, so you really have no idea.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3483
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's really pretty out.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, so "all white"="pretty," huh?

PLEASE recognize that I am clowning!!

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 463
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need four inches to fall and I won't have to work at 6:30 a.m. for my very last day at the YMCA...Two weeks ago I started working at a new job (very nice) and promised to work all my scheduled weekends at the Y as not to screw my fellow employees for the holiday. Tomorrow is my last day after years spent at the good old Y, SNOW LIKE A MUTHA!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 390
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

11pm update...one inch of snow on the ground, with light flurries. A bit of wind but not too bad. Lake Erie area, 25 miles from Windsor reporting.

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 466
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just not good enough, I need four inches! :-)

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Jeremy," the new Channel 7 weather guy, talked about how the weather will "continue to deteriorate" overnight.

It's SNOWING. Because it's Michigan. It can be hard to drive in, and we'll probably get snowed in, but it isn't a catastrophe. Most of us will cook food, watch movies and play games.