Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Here's a "bad" list that Detroit isn't on... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2383
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atlanta: Bank heist capital of nation

The following are the top metro areas and the number of bank heists this year:
• Atlanta: 350
• Los Angeles 338
• Philadelphia 316
• Dallas 297
• Boston 255

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/ 17/atlanta.bankheists/index.ht ml

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's because Detroit doesn't have that many big name banks and the banks here have all of that security from our crime issues.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 471
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who would want to rob the broke-ass banks in Detroit?

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

seems like it should be per-capita. or per quantity of banks.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2384
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has a lot of big name bank branches.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3047
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's because the criminals here aren't very clever...it takes brains to pull off a bank heist...

and I'm not complimenting the ones that do it. I'm just saying that criminals here are better suited to simpler challenges, like robbing corner stores and carjackings

Detroitinmyheart
Username: Detroitinmyheart

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 70s and 80s there were a lot of bank robberies around the city .

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2385
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

seems like it should be per-capita. or per quantity of banks.

That would still weigh heavily against Atlanta and Philly. Both have similar metro populations to Detroit, whereas LA has nearly 13 million people.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit has a lot of big name bank branches."

Comerica, Chase, and a division of big names I personally don't think count. None of them are based here anyway.

Thejesus, actually, It's probably easier to commit bank heists in the suburbs than the city. I can guarantee they're isn't as big of a security thing out in Birmingham or what not where you have to get nude to enter the bank.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2386
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Comerica, Chase, and a division of big names I personally don't think count. None of them are based here anyway.

What does where the bank is based have to do with the number of bank robberies?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4218
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"where you have to get nude to enter the bank."

I guess you could see everybody's assets at that bank.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2388
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Thejesus, actually, It's probably easier to commit bank heists in the suburbs than the city.

It's also easier to avoid charges if you rob a bank in the suburbs, apparently...

But I'll be damned if I didn't almost miss this one:

Forgiven bank robber lands back in court

(Message edited by iheartthed on December 17, 2007)

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At a news conference at the time, Gorcyca said he was urging leniency because Lawson was
acting out of desperation in tough economic times."

Isn't this the basis of most bank robberies? I mean, ya gotta be pretty desperate to try to rob a bank.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Desperate? Not if you're Sparkle Jones!
I just love that name.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2391
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad Sparkle isn't a middle aged, laid off mechanical engineer... among other characteristics. She might have gotten excused!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.