Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Dan Fogelberg « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitinmyheart
Username: Detroitinmyheart

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Passed away. A great loss. One of the greatest songs ever made was by this man.

Same Old Lang Syne

So many memories rush back whenever I hear this.

Rest in Peace Dan.

http://www.danfogelberg.com/

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-(

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2387
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw this on CNN. I'm not really familiar with him... How is he connected to Detroit?

Detroitinmyheart

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's not, It should have gone in Non Detroit. My bad.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1783
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have one of his LPs at my folks place where the record player is. Terrific album, it has the song "Power of Gold". I played it for my daughter to show her how the flute can be used in a Rock Song, and sound great. She also plays the flute.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 348
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even though I was not into his music as much as some, he definitely made an impact in the 80's. Colon cancer at age 56-too soon in my book. The "Leader of the Band" is, indeed, gone!

May his soul rest in peace.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we can make it Detroit. I saw him open a concert for the Eagles in the early 70s, at the Masonic. He walked out on the stage by himself, set down a stool, perched on it, and began to play his acoustic guitar, and sing the most beautiful songs. I can't recall what year, but it had to be very early 70s.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard this last night and was greatly saddened. Leader of the Band and Same Old Lang Syne are two of my favorites. For those of you not too familiar with his music, he also did the very popular Longer Than (there've been fishes in the ocean...).
I am so mad at myself because I would see that he was playing Meadowbrook or Freedom HIll in the summers and I always meant to go see him because I found his acoustic guitar and soft voice so relaxing and his music brought back some great memories.
Yes, way too young to die. Dan Fogelberg will be missed.

Krapug
Username: Krapug

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan's music was truly music to feel to. He hit all the emotions, and one of his greatest albums is "Exhiles", it was all about his divorce from his first wife (he has since re-married), and it's hit single, "Lonely In Love".

We have lost so many groundbreaking artists in the last few years, and in addition to Dan, we recently lost Ike Turner.
Despite the demons that haunted him, and his other problems, Ike was gifted and them some, and he helped shape Rock and
R & B.

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian:

Speaking of Fogelberg and the flute; remember the album he did with Tim Wiesberg - "Twin Sons of Different Mothers"? I'll have to rebuy it on CD. But if you want your daughter to appreciate the flute in a rock-n-roll context, then how'bout Jethro Tull.

Detroitinmyheart

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =2NmdFgFyhnk

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Favorite Tull tune: "Thick as a Brick"

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1785
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tull was good too. He Sounded good for a farmer from colonial period America. I liked "Cross Eyed Mary".

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Dan at Ford Auditorium in early 1975 He was touring in support of his "Part of the Plan" record and for an encore he said he had he had a special guest where he was joined by Glen Fry and they did a great version of " As the Raven Flies" It was one of my first concerts. RIP Dan I have great memories of that show!

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 351
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Locomotive Breath" should have been named "Locomotive Breathless" as there are some of the loudest breathing sounds that I have ever heard. I remember seeing the "Bungle in the Jungle" tour, I believe at Cobo. The guy put on a show with the flute.

The best flute:

"....and on the licking stick, Mr. Magic Dick....."

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wait.....wait..........no..... can't be........I just got that 8 Trak...........and.........and ..........."my old lover"......is........is...... realy old now.......as am I.........shit

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.