Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Rodriguez is Michigan's new football coach! » Archive through December 17, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3029
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing official, but the MLive board is going bonkers saying that the latest word is that Bill Martin somehow managed to snag Rich Rodriguez from West Virgina!

And a couple of news sources in WV are reporting the same thing...

http://www.wboy.com/story.cfm? func=viewstory&storyid=32640

Nothing from our local sources just yet...

(Message edited by thejesus on December 16, 2007)

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, just like sources mentioned that Les Miles was Michigan's new Head Man too, right?

Thejesus

Post Number: 3030
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here's another WV news source reporting the same...

http://www.wvgazette.com/secti on/Breaking/000001281

still nothing from local sources

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 271
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Freep,

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071216/SPO RTS06/71216021

Thejesus

Post Number: 3032
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's official! 3pm press conference is set

We have our coach!

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20071216/SPORTS0 6/71216021

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 433
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So when Red Berenson retires Michigan can hire West Virginia's hockey coach?

D_mcc

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only if Pitt has a hockey team

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/ news/story?id=3157227

ESPN's report.

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spartans Rejoice!

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 839
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure this is such a great pick up for Michigan. RRod has little to no midwest recruiting ties, a history of not handling criticism well, and a questioned style of leadership (all things that Michigan fans have issues with).

I'm not a wolverine, but I'm not sure this was the best hire, but more likely a move made in haste to answer the critics.

Thejesus

Post Number: 3033
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Spartans Rejoice!"

Yes, because MSU would just love to play a coach who has gone 32-5 over the past three seasons with a mediocre football program...just image what he can do with a program that draws the kind of talent that Michigan draws...

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 990
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terrelle Pryor (6-6, 220, the top high school QB in the country has decommitted from WV this morning and may be coming with Rodriguez to AA.
Michigan was supposedly on his short list before he picked WV.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oE-TH096R-8

(Message edited by rjk on December 16, 2007)

Thejesus

Post Number: 3034
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^he draws comparisons to Vince Young...I really hope his visit to AA is a good one because I don't see Mallet fitting into Rodriguez's spread offense very well

D_mcc

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Terrelle Pryor (6-6, 220) the top high school QB in the country has decommitted from WV this morning and may be coming with Rodriguez to AA.
Michigan was supposedly on his short list before he picked WV."

Source? I only saw that he had spoken with RR

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 840
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

West Virginia is a bit more than a mediocre program. They have the most wins in NCAA history without a national championship. It is a very well respected program.

With just 1/2 national championship since pre-jfk, Im not sure Michigan is the glorious program that so many Michigan fans claim that it is.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dmcc, here is your source:

http://michigan.rivals.com/con tent.asp?CID=751822

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2053
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mgoblue.com is the ONLY source, and they have confirmed it. Maybe I should not have refused jjaba's collect call a couple of hours ago. He likes to stay ahead of the press.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2054
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I knew we had a coach when I saw white smoke drifting from the small chimney on Schemblecher Hall.

D_mcc

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will be interesting to see how the spread works for RR in the Big Ten, should work nicely, but I don't think Michigan is tooled for the spread at this point...might be a year before it works itself out properly

Thejesus

Post Number: 3035
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^I agree...WV went 3-8 his first year there for the same reason...

but I've finally come around to accept that the spread offense is the future of football...better we get it going now than 15 years form now

(Message edited by thejesus on December 16, 2007)

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 988
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You may be right about the no huddle spread being the latest thing. Washington State University just hired Paul Wulff because of his sucuess at Eastern Washington. He's a no huddle spread guy.

In any case, don't expect miracles first year. This isn't the pros, and you've got to give 3 years before the first recruiting class makes its mark......

Trstar
Username: Trstar

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am happy UofM has a new coach, but...

There should some type of NCAA Coach transfer rule about coaches changing teams before the end of the last game.

There should be a last game plus 1 week rule between coaches leaving one school to go to another.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who Cares? Michigan will still go anywhere in between 8-4 and 10-2 for the next five years, get dominated by teams outside of the Big Ten, still lose against Ohio State, and will still lose most if not all of their bowl games. Oh and lets not forget still be perpetually overrated in the national polls and beat MSU most of the time. So what has really changed?

Besides its basketball season Wolverines that means its Spartan time, you all should disappear until August or when you all get that NIT invite. Personally its the best time of the year.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4176
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lloyd's recruits aren't slouches. He has the talent, and could take it much further than Lloyd, employing more creative uses and schemes.

Cheers to R-squared in A-squared.

The_Rock, hilarious. I've made a few jokes comparing this to that election myself.

Thejesus

Post Number: 3037
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There should some type of NCAA Coach transfer rule about coaches changing teams before the end of the last game."

He didn't transfer before the last game...he just quit his current job...he's not coaching U of M until next year...Carr is still coaching them in their bowl game

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5763
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock is right. jjaba called him late Sat. night from Martin's office. jjaba was waterboy for Bo back in the glory yrs.

The Rock's Vatican analogy is apt, but I DIDN'T
THE START THE FIRE.

MgoBlue, Lloyd Carr.

Trstar

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He didn't transfer before the last game...he just quit his current job...he's not coaching U of M until next year...Carr is still coaching them in their bowl game"

That my point. The WV coach just took a new job before his season (bowl game) was over. This applies to the other coaches as well. The athletes get severely punished for transferring schools. Coaches can bounce anytime they want without penalty. To me its unfair to the player of the team to have your coach say "see ya" before the season is over.

Thejesus

Post Number: 3039
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^you can't force someone to work in this country even if they are under contract (see 13th amendment against involuntary servitude)...

you can, however, collect monetary damages from them if they quit prior to the natural conclusion of their contract...that's what a buyout clause is for...

In RR's case, it was $4 million...

Trstar

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I'm saying is that the NCAA should legislate when coaches can change schools, i.e. not before the end of the season.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 420
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UM hired an outstanding coach. Kudos to Bill Martin.

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/ 711864.html