Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » No, But YOU'RE Eligible For Getting Your Ass Kicked Off My Porch « Previous Next »
Archive through December 18, 2007Jt130 12-18-07  10:47 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 471
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've gotten these guys before - I have a "No Solicitors" sign on the door and after I tell them to read the sign they then ask "what does that mean?"

I say something to the effect of "that means don't come here if you're trying to sell me stuff." And of course I get the "we're trying to save you money on your gas bill, we're not trying to sell..."

At which point I close the door. I've had to close the door six times in two months on these people.

I am going to make addendum to my sign and put the definition of "Solicitor" underneath it to help.

Of course, if it's a neighbor raising money for choir or something, that's O.K. But the neighbors already know that.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11049
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would recommend being more vigilant with them. If they don't scam you they will get to one of your neighbors.

Even if it is a matter of sitting on your porch and keeping an eye on them.

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a scam. The gas company already has your information and doesn't need someone to look at your bill. Tell them you will call the office in the morning and discuss it with them.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've had these folks come by too. They always scatter when asked for a business card, pamphlet, contact number, or anything so that I could call them.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have come through my neighborhood in Hamtramck. I told them I didn't appreciate the hour of their call, nor their request for my personal financial information (my bill) and sent them on their merry way.

Username: 3420

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Universal Gas & Electric. These people are crazy! They tried but I almost threw the man off the front porch.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 600
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI - in the arena of identity theft a lot can be done with a copy of another's bill. Bill's often are interpreted as evidence of stability and can, when paired with other personal information, be used to falsely establish a line of credit.

Don't show anyone your bills, especially unknown parties knocking on your door.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Universal Gas..that's them. There are a ton of old folks in my neighborhood so we get them too, and always late with the creepy headlamps. Here's a good one...When I answer the door, I tell them "Nu vorbesc Engleza" (I don't speak English) then when they try to explain it, look at them blankly and say "I'm sorry, goodbye." It's not mean, it doesn't require a weapon or an attitude. It also works great with religious solicitors, except for the Jehovah's Witnesses who carry a book with their tenets written in every language (smart).

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These people came by a couple of times in SCS in the summer. Since I was outside working on the house, they were saved the trip to the front door.

As soon as one guy tried to pull the "we're not selling anything" line I told him to p*ss off and stop lying. That sent him scurrying off.

After SBC pulled the same door to door stuff a couple of years ago (on one day, they came to the door 3 times), I was so tempted to drop them that if I'd had a choice for internet other than Comcrap, I'd have done it. Companies that market in that way do NOT get on my good list.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in a Toronto suburb and, like AIW said, we get lots of these gas companies offering fixed rate deals. I'm not really shocked when people solicit door-to-door after dark because after all it gets dark at 5:00 pm right now and nobody's home before that anyway. What is strange is that door-to- door sales totally disappeared for about 10-15 years. It just seemed like it was no longer acceptable because it's either a scam (vacuum cleaners) or unsafe -but the last couple of years we're getting tons of people - kids selling newspaper subscriptions, alarm companies, grocery delivery companies, satellite t.v. etc.etc. Why the sudden change? Is it because telemarketing no longer works?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1731
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well!! A sincere thanks to all of you, for your prompt, interesting, informative, and sometimes funny responses.
Actually, I am pretty much believing that these guys represent a company that is involved in the business which so many of you described. I'm not prone to reading all kinds of dark, arcane, devilish, sordid motives, or meanings, into everything. However, I still say that, regardless of anything else, anybody who shows up on your porch, after dark, in the attempt to conduct any kind of business is representing a cheese-whiz company or is, themselves, a shifty mofo.
Also, let me assure you all, there was never any shred of a chance that I was going to allow the guy inside, or show him any personal paperwork of any kind.
I don't usually initiate threads, so I was somewhat taken aback by the brief discussion of why I should, or should not, respond with a hail of gunfire. I never brought up any such thing; in fact, as my recounting indicates, I was fairly gentle with the guy.
Thanks again!!

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No matter where you are, never present weakness by opening the door of your home to somebody whose intentions you don't know, esp. after dark(The Wichita Massacre perps were doing a follow home on the next-door neighbor when an opportunity presented itself);
http://hereinvannuys.blogspot. com/2007/12/door-to-door-magaz ine-scammer.html

Ravine

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

401don: Maybe that nationwide Do Not Call list is working, and companies are employing people who are willing to go door-to-door.
Which means that the Good News is that they won't call you, but the Bad News is that they will show up on your porch.
Not a job I would want, in a city like ours, where trust is at a minimum and gun-brandishing & use is common.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4579
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aha, I have the solution to would-be Whichita Massacreists- The decoy front door! (easily accomplished with Corktown homes, which often have two front doors...)

As for the Jehova's Witnesses, a sign reading "Apostate Home" sometimes works.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6680
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I chased down one of these scums a few summers ago because he tried to flash very briefly an ID badge at me and tried to pass himself off as a Consumers Energy employee. He even had a copy of some Consumers Energy literature too (I knew it was a copy because it was only in black & white and not the real color version). I chewed that guy a new one to the point he had his buddy standing next to him to make sure I wasn't going to pop him one. Some of the neighbors came out to see what the ruckus was about too, but I think they all knew that we were onto their scam of trying to switch the lot of us over.

They've never returned and if they ever do, they'd best be prepared to be chased again.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 228
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a couple of "SBC guys" come through and ask if we were having any trouble with our phone. I said no, and the dude pointed to his "official" SBC shirt and said "you do know who SBC is, right?" I told him we didn't call for any service, and where's your work order and company van?
My guess is they bought those shirts at a thrift shop and were out casing the neighborhood. No way a phone company would send someone out to randomly check if people were having "problems with their phone."
Never thought of asking for a business card, though. That would be good "Can I get your card so I can call you if I do have problems?"

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://universalgasandelectric .com/index.htm

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6682
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's times like this where I wish I had one of those Montgomery Burns (from The Simpsons' fame) devices where I could click a button and release a horde of wolves or something at these folks.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had the same thing happen to me twice within the last 3 months, although I can't recall the name of the company they represented. Apparently, the "NO SOLICITORS" sign on the front door does not deter them nor does a barking mad 95-pound German Shepherd.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of these guys came to my door night before last, too. After a couple of "not interested" replies, he said he could give me some information-- so I said he could leave a printed pamphlet. "Oh, the information is all verbal." I replied that I am not interested in changing my supplier, thanked him, and closed the door.

Ravine

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Har har!! Of course the information is all verbal-- even if it is in a pamphlet!!
Maybe you should have said, "Well, if you can't tap it out to me in Morse Code, I'm not interested."
I'm guessing that he meant, "oral," but then, some folks are queasy about that word 'cuz it reminds them of, uhh, you know...

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 386
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thing that always drove me nuts was when I was living in a subdivided house in Ann Arbor, we'd have solicitors walk right into the house and go door to door to each unit. It never bothered anybody, and the front door was never locked by my housemates, which is what pissed me off the most since it might lead to robbery in the future. They were always fathers selling candy (with their kids present during school hours) for unusually high prices. $4/candy bar is very sketch.

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ho, ho, ho! That's not Santa. It's me laughing at the grammatically proper response in Ravine's posting.

Eric_michael
Username: Eric_michael

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As one of Jehovah's Witnesses I've seen all kinds of creative avoidance tactics. What's particularly funny is when we go to someone's door, they come with a phone up to their ear, "sorry, I'm on the phone right now..." and then it rings.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here you go, after a pair of magazine salesman murder an elderly couple the mayor of 'querque sues the crap out of their employer & proposes a "Do Not Knock" list for Duke City-why can't Kwame think outside the box like this?;;http://www.abqtrib.com/news/20 07/dec/18/albuquerque-sues-emp loyer-traveling-salesmen-accus /

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In case no one remembers, or knew, the MO of the lansing serial killer this summer (4 women) was to knock on an older lady's door, offer to do day labor, and when refused, asked if he could leave a phone number, and when she left to get a pen, walk right in. Supposedly, perp was caught when one woman's dog scared the shit outta him and he ran out of the house, but not before she got a description.

No reason to be scared, though............

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 3:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_michael, why doesn't "No thanks" work?

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a friend here in Atlanta come home one day and he said there was a "bum" on his front porch. He asked the guy if he was OK and if he needed anything? The bum just stared and didn't say anything. My friend went inside and came back in five mins. and the guy was still standing there. So, my friend said that if the guy wouldn't leave, he would be calling the police. He checked in five mins. and the guy was still standing there. So, my friend finally calls 911 and tells them that there is a bum on his front porch. After making the call, he checked and the guy had left so my friend called 911 to tell them that the bum had left and no need to send anyone. 911 replied, "What do you mean the bomb left? We have the bomb squad on the way to your house right now!"

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As one of Jehovah's Witnesses I've seen all kinds of creative avoidance tactics. What's particularly funny is when we go to someone's door, they come with a phone up to their ear, "sorry, I'm on the phone right now..." and then it rings."

If you know people don't want to talk to you, why do you harass them?

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Eric_michael, why doesn't "No thanks" work?"

When have you EVER had a Jehovah's Witness take "no, thanks" for an answer?

I find that calling for my partner to bring my gun usually gets them moving.

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will keep the Jehovah's away!

Eric_michael
Username: Eric_michael

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"why doesn't "No thanks" work?"
East_detroit, I can only speak for myself but usually "no thanks" works. So many people have so many misconceptions about what we believe that I may ask "why do you say 'no thanks'?". Occasionally someone will tell me because they've heard we don't believe in Jesus or that we believe only 144,000 will be "saved". Then I'm able to clear up the misunderstanding.

"If you know people don't want to talk to you, why do you harass them?"
Sturge, I guess there are quite a few assumptions that have to be made here, again speaking for me personally anyway:

1: There is a God, the Creator- Gen.1:1; Heb.3:4
2: The Bible is his inspired word and relevant for today- 2 Tim. 3:16,17; Rom.15:4
3: Jesus Christ is our King,Ransomer,Redeemer- Rom.5:12; John 3:16
4: Jesus is also our model, our exemplar and as Christians, we should imitate him as well as we can- 1 Pet.2:21; 2 Cor.5:14,15
5: The Good News of the Kingdom needs to be preached (including house to house)- Mt.24:14; Acts 20:20

Looking at it merely from a personal comfort point of view though, we know it can be annoying just like all the junk mail, spam, and door to door salesman we're all bombarded with daily...

Unlike the Witnesses in that Simpsons episode I do have a "real job" I've got to get to! Oh, and "nice knockers!".

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11092
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find that the JW's that come to my door are very polite. I usually tell them 'I appreciate their beliefs but I am not interested.' They ask if they can leave some literature and I accept it.

Breif, polite conversation as far as I'm concerned. Of course that may vary depending on what person comes to yur door but the 2 older women that always come to mine are very polite and understanding.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1773
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I lived in my apartment-studio in the early 80's, some how the Jehovah Witnesses got into the building every Wednesday. I worked afternoons at the time and was always getting ready for work when they knocked on my door.
EVERY WEDNESDAY! It made me crazy. I was trying to get ready for work!-----It drove me nuts.
At that time of my life I indulged a great deal in controlled substances wrapped in paper. One Wednesday I heard
that dreaded knock. I knew who it was! So I stripped all of my clothes off, took a pillow case and wore it like a diaper,
put a lit joint in my mouth, flung the door open and screamed,"MY MOMMY'S NOT HOME!" and then slammed the door shut. They never came back.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4316
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL ED!
Thank you for that.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1: There is a God, the Creator- Gen.1:1; Heb.3:4

I don't care.

2: The Bible is his inspired word and relevant for today- 2 Tim. 3:16,17; Rom.15:4

I don't care.

3: Jesus Christ is our King,Ransomer,Redeemer- Rom.5:12; John 3:16

Not mine.

4: Jesus is also our model, our exemplar and as Christians, we should imitate him as well as we can- 1 Pet.2:21; 2 Cor.5:14,15

No way

5: The Good News of the Kingdom needs to be preached (including house to house)- Mt.24:14; Acts 20:20

Keep it to yourselves. I don't want to hear it.

SLAM!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...so my friend called 911 to tell them that the bum had left and no need to send anyone. 911 replied, "What do you mean the bomb left? We have the bomb squad on the way to your house right now!"

"Bumb Hunting"

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4333
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes, I remember. The issue with the bumbs downtown. I believe they were all heavy smakers.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 251
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is help to keep JW's away.

http://www.crapco.com/badads/a ds/witness.html

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The universal gas folk came to my door today and I told them I was moving to Philawarapraugacago lol He gave me an odd look and I shut the door.

Ravine

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cripes!! If you think we're gonna start calling you "Vizionphilawarapraugacago," you had better think again, pal.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.