Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Give MDOT your 2 cents » Archive through December 13, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 245
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MDOT has unveiled their five year transportation plan for 2008-2012 (it's large, 125 pages).

http://www.michigan.gov/docume nts/mdot/MDOT_5_Year_Program_2 16970_7.pdf

When you're done with that, give 'em your opinion, you have until the 21st of Dec.

https://www.commentmgr.com/PCS /PublicGUI/QuestionsCustom.asp x?Public_PID=603&Level=Project &LevelNumber=603

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 445
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not a word about inter-city rail service and hardly a few paragraphs about improvement of existing passenger rail services. When is MDOT going to smarten up and stop thinking FREEWAYS and start thinking about improving rail service on our peninsula?

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 703
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 3:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should title it: "The Michigan Department of Sprawl-Fueling, Quality-Of-Life-Killing, Car-Promoting, Same-Bullshit-As-Usual Plan"

(Message edited by Futurecity on December 13, 2007)

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fact is, that the freeways are already there, and if you look, they can't even afford to maintain them. All the work done over the last 10-15 years to improve the condition of our roads is going to be undone. To me, they don't get to start talking about implementing the rail systems until they can consistently keep the CURRENT system at a good level. Otherwise, the alternative is to knowingly let the current system degenerate. I don't see that as a viable option, do you?

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The rails already exist...and trains are less expensive than expanding I-75.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 424
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gsgeorge,

Look at page 130 of the document. There is an entire page dedicated to how they are expanding non-automobile related modes of transportation.

Upinottawa,

Where is MDOT planning to expand I-75? I don't see it anywhere. Besides, they don't have the budget to do it anyway.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 955
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the usual disaster. They plan to spend $329 million on road capacity (widening roads and new roads), and they do not specify as much as one dollar to be spent improving transit. In fact they explicitly say that the bulk of the transit money will be just to preserve what exists today.

So according to MDOT, our problem is we don't have enough roads, but we have sufficient transit. I ask you, what do we do about this? These people simply do not get it.

In metro Charlotte, NC, their regional transportation plan calls for spending about 2/3 of the total capital money on transit improvements. Note that Charlotte, and NC in general, are doing quite well while Detroit and Michigan continue to sink.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11011
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look no further than pages 146-150 to see how messed up of an organization MDOT still is. Expand, expand, expand.

Sirrealone

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have to maintain what we have before we can build new. We've spent the last 10 years or so playing catch-up from 40 years of neglecting our roads. I know a lot of people will disagree but we've come a long way in getting them to decent shape. Remember any part of I-94 before? Remember the Davison? The Lodge? I-75 downriver? All nightmares that are now in pretty good shape.

If we would develop a plan that would allow us to finish upgrading the rest and then level off, there would then be money opened up for transit, which would be awesome to see. But, it looks like, as of now, they're planning on things just slipping back, so we won't get there. That sucks.

As much as I agree we need transit, we also need to focus on what we have and trying to keep that in good shape. I don't think it's fair to let the roads and freeways that we have now fall to pot for the sake of mass transit.

Look at the charts. We've spent 10 years getting our 'good road' percentage up from the 70's to the 80's and 90's. As it stands it's already slated to go back down to the 70's within 5-7 years. Should we just say the heck with it and let it go down to the 60's instead, but build mass transit? Doesn't sound favorable to me.

I am 100 percent in agreement with the need to develop mass transit. But looking at this report, I ask the people bashing it: How?

Jt1

Post Number: 11012
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am curious with all of the planned expansions/widening projects in OC how much other areas of the state are subsidizing this?

Seeing that people like Patterson whine that they get cheated by the State it appears they are getting a whole lot of the larger planned projects.

Do people in OC that whine they are contributors to everyone else consider the massive amounts of $$s going to these projects?

Professorscott

Post Number: 956
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not saying anything against maintenance. I'm objecting to $329 million to widen roads and build new roads, which is not maintenance and which is not necessary. We can't afford to maintain what we have; the last thing we need is more pavement.

As to "how", I am sick to death of that question. Go to any other damned big city in the country and ask them how they did it. Apparently we are collectively too stupid to figure out how to pay for what everybody else in the world knows how to pay for.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2366
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Look at the charts. We've spent 10 years getting our 'good road' percentage up from the 70's to the 80's and 90's. As it stands it's already slated to go back down to the 70's within 5-7 years. Should we just say the heck with it and let it go down to the 60's instead, but build mass transit? Doesn't sound favorable to me.

What sense does it make to sink all of your money into something with such a shitty turnover?

Sirrealone

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not trying to be a smartas* here, because I honestly don't know, but how many other states that have pulled it off aren't 'contributing' states that see their gas tax money get shaved off to pay for other states road projects? I think it's a joke that Michigan is a contributing state. With the roads covering the massive land area we have, we're behind the eight ball right from the start.

Jt1

Post Number: 11013
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that we can all agree that our State Reps in Lansing our an embarrasment that we are still a gas tax donor state given the condition of our roads and our economy.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3819
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other states get more transportation money returned because they obtain federal money for transit projects. Michigan apparently doesn't see the need for such ambitions.

I'm going to hazard a guess that states like Massachusetts, Illinois, New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, and California are at least as much "donor" states as Michigan. Of course, this needs to be verified, but as Professorscott asked, how are these states able to do what Michigan is not?

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 478
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As much as I agree we need transit, we also need to focus on what we have and trying to keep that in good shape. I don't think it's fair to let the roads and freeways that we have now fall to pot for the sake of mass transit.

Agreed. I also think that the state understands that tourism will soon be the biggest business in the state, and keeping the freeways and state roads in good shape will assure that Michigan will remain a tourist destination.

Professorscott

Post Number: 957
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's two cents from Andy Guy of the Michigan Land Use Institute (www.mlui.org) which I found on his blog, dated a couple weeks ago:

"Not a single project aimed at expanding public transit or other alternatives to the automobile, and this at a time as gas shoots past $3 a gallon and prime time cities like Denver, Toronto, and Portland invest billions in new light rail trains and urban streetcar infrastructure to enhance quality of life, attract knowledge workers, and safeguard the environment.

Ironically, a story on the preceding page of today's newspaper reveals the state's road budget faces $300 million in spending cuts in 2008.

So, putting the pieces together, Detroit and the State of Michigan is [sic] spending tens of millions of dollars to expand a short-sighted transportation strategy that is increasingly unaffordable, out of touch with a strategic development strategy, and ultimately unsustainable."

El_jimbo

Post Number: 425
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

much of that $329 million of road expansion were not MDOT decisions. Congress took a lot of the decision making out of MDOT's hands with the last federal appropriations bill. It was PACKED with earmarks for specific projects that MDOT and other state transportation departments had to do.

Also, a very large chunk of the capacity improvement dollars are not going towards any new roads or new lanes. A lot of the money is going towards expanding the tollbooth/customs areas at the bluewater bridge as well as projects around the ambassador bridge. Both are for relieving the awful truck congestion at our border crossings.

Jt1

Post Number: 11015
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El_jimbo,

That may apply for the upcoming year but the forecast is calling for a lot of expansion in the Metro Detroit area:

quote:

M-15, I-75 to I-69, Macomb County
Environmental clearance activities for the widening of this 20-mile corridor are ongoing.
The department is considering strategies for implementing the recommended improvements
identifi ed in the environmental document.

I-96/Wixom Road, Oakland County
This project was developed in conjunction with the I-96/Beck Road project. The existing
interchange is congested due to growth in the area. Environmental clearance for this project
is complete and the department is working with the local communities and developers
for right-of-way donations.

M-59/Crooks Road, Oakland County
Design is underway to replace the existing two-lane bridge with a dual span six-lane
bridge to match the new cross section proposed for Crooks Road. In addition, two new
loop ramps will be constructed to alleviate congestion caused by left turns to ramps onto
M-59. Design was completed through the plan review stage in 2006. Right-of-way acquisition
and construction have been deferred pending reasonable assurance of achieving and
sustaining system condition goals and the identifi cation of additional funding.

M-59/Crooks Road to Ryan Road, Oakland and Macomb Counties
This project will widen the M-59 corridor from a four-lane to a six-lane freeway between
Crooks Road and Ryan Road in Oakland and Macomb counties. The department completed
an environmental re-evaluation and the design phase is expected to be completed in
2009. Construction is deferred pending reasonable assurance of achieving and sustaining
system condition goals and the identifi cation of additional funding.

I-75/M-59 Interchange, Oakland County
Environmental clearance and initial design activities to determine specifi c right-of-way
requirements were completed in early 2005. The department has acquired the right-of-way
required in the southeast quadrant. The funds for the remaining design, right-of-way, and
construction of the project have not been identifi ed.

The Northwestern Connector, Oakland County
MDOT and the Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) are continuing work to
improve connections between M-10 (Northwestern Highway) and M-5 (Haggerty Connector).
The project will rebuild one mile of Orchard Lake Road as a six-lane boulevard with
roundabout intersections; realign 14 Mile Road east of Northwestern Highway; and construct
a series of six additional modern roundabouts along 14 Mile Road and Maple Road.
Environmental clearance for this project was completed in November 2002. The RCOC
began design work in 2003 and completed it in 2007.
The 2005 SAFETEA-LU transportation reauthorization bill provided partial funding for
this project. Construction of two roundabouts at the intersections of Maple/Drake and
Maple/Farmington Roads was completed in 2007. Construction for the entire project will
be completed in 2012.

I-75, 8 Mile Road to M-59, Oakland County
Environmental clearance activities for the widening of this segment of I-75 in Oakland
County were completed in 2006. This project will add an additional directional lane to
I-75 that will operate as a high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane during peak hours and a
general purpose lane during remaining hours. The project also includes modifying access
from I-696 to northbound I-75 to improve traffi c fl ow and safety.
Separate engineering reports are being prepared on segments from 8 Mile Road to south
of 12 Mile Road and from 12 Mile Road to south of M-59. Partial design activities are deferred
pending reasonable assurance of achieving and sustaining statewide system condition
goals and the identifi cation of additional funding.

I-75/Crooks Road, Oakland County
This project will improve the operation of the existing interchange and provide better
access to the area by modifying the existing intersection of Crooks Road and the I-75
entrance/exit ramps. The department is conducting an operational study to identify
potential improvements and address operational and safety issues associated with this
interchange and its ramp terminal.

I-75, South of Chrysler Drive to M-24, Oakland County
This project will add collector-distributor roads adjacent to I-75, and reconstruct and
modify the I-75/University Drive interchange. A portion of the necessary right-of-way for
this project has been acquired. No funds have been committed to construct the project.

M-59/Adams Road, Oakland County
The relocation of the M-59/Adams Road interchange is required to provide proper spacing
between this interchange and the new interchange at M-59/Squirrel Road. This project is
being constructed in three phases. Construction of phases one and two began in 2004, and
the interchange opened to traffi c in 2005. Removal of the old Adams Road Bridge (phase
two) will be completed in 2009.

I-94/I-69 Bridge over Black River & Blue Water Bridge Plaza,
St. Clair County
Built in the 1950s, the I-94/I-69 Bridge over Black River, located west of the Blue Water
Bridge Plaza, is in poor condition and inadequate to meet the demands of future traffi c
volumes.
U.S. and Canadian partners, including MDOT, the Department of Homeland Security, and
the General Services Administration, are evaluating options to accommodate inspection
and toll collection activities on the U.S. side of the Blue Water Bridge.

I-94, East of I-96 to east of Conner Avenue, Wayne County
This project will rehabilitate, widen, and provide safety improvements and continuous
service roads along a seven-mile segment of I-94, including reconstruction of 67 bridges
and the I-94 interchanges with I-75 and M-10. The environmental clearance process was
completed in 2005. An engineering study is being conducted to help further minimize
the project’s impacts and refi ne other engineering issues within the corridor. This study
should be completed in 2009. Design has been deferred pending reasonable assurance of
achieving and sustaining statewide system condition goals and the identifi cation of additional
funding.

I-75/I-96/Ambassador Bridge Gateway, Wayne County
The Ambassador Bridge handles the largest volume of international freight of any border
crossing in North America, but has no direct freeway connection. This project will reconstruct
I-75 and I-96 from west Grand Boulevard to just north of Michigan Avenue, in the
City of Detroit, and provide new direct access ramps from the Ambassador Bridge to I-75
and I-96. Construction is complete on the fi rst three phases of the project, involving road
and bridge elements and a new eastbound I-96 service drive from Michigan Avenue
(US-12) south to Vernor Highway. Construction on phase four, which includes reconstruction
of the mainline freeway and direct plaza access ramps, began in 2007.
The fourth phase also includes construction of a signature pedestrian bridge connecting
east and west Mexicantown, over I-75/I-96. Extensive landscaping and architectural
treatments, as part of the context sensitive design, will be complete by spring 2010. I-75 is
expected to re-open to traffi c by late 2009.

US-24, Brownstown Township, Wayne County
This segment of US-24 (Telegraph Road), between Vreeland Road and West Road, is to
be reconstructed and widened from four to fi ve lanes to improve safety in this corridor.
Environmental Clearance has been completed with design and right of way acquisition
activities underway. Due to signifi cant right-of-way issues, Brownstown Township agreed
to delay the project letting until 2010 with construction in 2011.

Danindc

Post Number: 3820
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

much of that $329 million of road expansion were not MDOT decisions. Congress took a lot of the decision making out of MDOT's hands with the last federal appropriations bill. It was PACKED with earmarks for specific projects that MDOT and other state transportation departments had to do.

Do you really think Congressmen are so acutely aware of minute details like which roads "need" widening? Earmarks and project funding don't find their way into bills unless the states or localities in question request and lobby for such funding.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 426
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darnindc,

Not entirely true. MDOT had a "wish list" of expansion projects that they said that they would like to do in a perfect world where funding wasn't an issue. Legislatures mistook that for what MDOT really wanted to do with their funding dollars and earmarked many of those projects.

MDOT's current policy is to follow a fix it first strategy for pavements. Meaning that 95% of funding goes towards fixing existing roads and only 5% of funding for road construction goes towards expansion.

As far as other forms of transportation (multi-modal), MDOT's hands are somewhat tied because they don't own many of the right-of-ways or the infrastructure that the transit systems operate with. Because of this, MDOT provides an advisory and facilitating role for local transit agencies that helps them capture state and federal funding for their operations. For example, in recent years, MDOT has helped CATA and the Traverse City bus system purchase new hybrid buses to replaced aging vehicles in their fleet.

In spite of the heavy roads orientation of the program, MDOT is spending almost a quarter of it's $8.5 Billion program on NON-road initiatives.

The problem is that if local agencies don't approach MDOT with a proposal, MDOT really can't do anything in terms of transit. This means that until SEMCOG, SMART, and DDOT can all get on the same page, MDOT really can't do a lot financially towards implementing a new mass transit system in the Detroit metro area.

I know that sucks because I want transit badly myself, but those are just the facts of life.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 427
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

professorscott,

Good post. Some things I'd like to point out.

1. It has been quite some time since Michigan had a raise in its gas tax. Construction costs have risen sharply in that time (averaging nearly 4% a year) so while MDOT was getting the same amount of revenue, every year, that revenue could purchase less and less work.

2. In recent years, gas tax revenue has really taken a hit in Michigan. The combination of more fuel efficient cars on the roads and a 10% drop in vehicle miles traveled statewide between 2005 and 2006 (a trend which seems to be continuing in 2007) means that revenues are coming in less than expected. If you have been planning projects based on a certain budget and you don't generate the revenue to match that budget projection then you will have a deficit. Such is the case here.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 301
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do people realize that in the larger scale, $329 million is a drop in the bucket for expansion projects. Just one large expansion project could eat that up in a heartbeat. Spread that money out over MANY expansion projects and you'll see that scope of those projects isn't that great.

Dnvn522

Post Number: 302
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also...the whole point of this thread is that the public has a chance to voice their opinion. If you're not happy...TELL THEM!

Jt1

Post Number: 11028
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drvn - the 329 addresses this year. How much is anticipated for the expansion projects listed above for the years 08-2012?

It looks like the work for much of that is just ramping up. $329/year over the 5 years is $1.5 Billion and I suspect it is estimated to be higher over the 5 year span.

Dnvn522

Post Number: 303
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look again. That is for all 5 years.

Dnvn522

Post Number: 304
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And only $43 mill of that is for new roads.

A majority ($223 mill) is for capacity improvements, which if you look at the footnote says:

2. A substantial portion of Capacity Improvement projects includes the preservation of the existing road.

Danindc

Post Number: 3821
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's still $329 million worth of pavement that will need to be maintained ad infinitum.

Now think of how much pavement goes unused or underused in the City of Detroit every day.

Dnvn522

Post Number: 305
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Switch 'em to gravel. :-)

El_jimbo

Post Number: 428
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DaninDC,

The roads that MDOT maintains in Detroit get used. They own trunkline roads like the interstate, Michigan routes and US routes. Wayne County and the city of Detroit own other smaller streets and maintain those with their own budget. These numbers you see here do not reflect any money spent by county or municipal transit agencies.