Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Oakland Mall -- Renovation/Expansion » Archive through December 16, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NEW MALL OWNER SETS SIGHTS ON GROWTH

Having purchased Oakland Mall in Troy just before Thanksgiving, the retail center’s new owner has said he’s considering a major renovation and expansion…

More at:

http://michiganconstructionnew s.com/November%202007%20News/t roy-oaklandmall.html

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 871
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's wonderful to hear.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10878
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to hear of improvements to older malls as opposed to building another one 50 miles out.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With Somerset's two malls two miles away, and the overall population stagnant, I can't imagine there is a need for even MORE retail space in Troy.

Throw in the proposed retail on the former KMart HQ site and my head spins (and I work in real estate).

That said, I like Oakland Mall. It's an unpretentious place with most of the basics and it has held up relatively well. I thought Somerset North would kill Oakland Mall, but it hasn't happened.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 348
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walked through Summit Place Mall this morning. That's a dead mall.

Aside from the anchors, there might be 10 stores left.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3074
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakland has a great location, but needs these improvements, good news

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news for Oakland Mall. My gf lives 2 miles away, and says she doesn't like it because it has few stores she likes, and she thinks it's unsafe. (I tell her she's crazy) Oakland Mall will remain profitable, because has big box retail all around it that Somerset will never have.

...Try walking through the empty corridors of Universal Mall. Now that is a scary place.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6460
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rob, you stole my post.. I was going to say pay a visit to Universal in Warren if you want to see a dead mall.

It's a long empty walk from Value City to Burlington Coat Factory...

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2600
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, sir, Universal Mall is indeed the deadest mall of all. I don't mind Oakland Mall, although I try to avoid mall shopping as much as possible anyways. If Oakland Mall gets an upgrade, I'm more liable to shop there than the hoity-toity Somerset Collection, where I go to shop at only four specific stores.

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aiw, The wrecking ball won't even go to Universal.

If you like cheezy fake antiques, prints of kittens playing with yarn, or fake gator-skin dress shoes try the Collection at Universal Mall.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5191
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakland Mall is great. You can get in and out pretty quickly and it has anything you need. I guess it seems a little worn down but it serves a large population. More power to em.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3304
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakland Mall is really skanky, I'm happy to hear they're upgrading it. I worked there in the early 80's, it's gone fast downhill since then.

It has the worst. Macy's. Ever. And there don't seem to be any employees at the Penneys.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3756
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all macy's except 34th st are "the worst macy's ever" all the new celebricrap they sell - blech

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3307
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but at least the one at Somerset doesn't smell.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember in the mid/late 80's, I think, when Oakland Mall got it's last facelift. They added the marble and fountain in the center court, they added the skylights along the corridors, a new entrance where the valet is, and most of the stores re-modeled within a 2-3 year period, including a complete facelift of Hudson's (now Macy's). The Men's Department in the basement was cool at the time! It was a great reno but they haven't touched it since. And even back then I was surprised that they left the tired looking flooring in the entire mall.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Several years ago I got my shares of URB (Urban Retal Properties) REIT bought out from me from an overseas investment company.

The business is well run and had an intersting mix of upscale suburban and urban malls. Among the urban malls were Copley Place in Boston and Water Tower Place in Chicago. Always paid a good dividened. I'm glad to see them come to town.

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting--you'll recall that immediately before May bought up the non-Target assets of Dayton-Hudson that there was a plan expand Oakland--including a Lord & Taylor...that of course died as soon as May found itself owning Field's.

Oakland is well merchandised and has relatively little vacant space. There is more than likely plenty of room in the market for it and Somerset to co-exist comfortably. Getting in a fourth anchor would be a coup (Not sure if the now privately held L&T is looking to start growing again--but Troy is a better spot for them than Dearborn)--you also have Bon-Ton marking a presence locally with Parisian. Von Maur?...you'd think Troy would be a fantastic market for Von Maur and would give Oakland a true "destination" store. Last I heard Water Tower in Chicago was trying to get Von Maur into the vacated L&T space there.

Lots of opportunity at Oakland if URB is serious--rearrange the whole place, give the 3 existing anchors some incentive to renovate, more food options and some more attractive inline tenants (Hollister?)

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 413
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad to hear that Oakland Mall is gettin' some TLC. I'm not much of a mall shopper, but Oakland is the main mall that I go to. Somerset is too expensive, Universal is dead (as are most of the other inner ring suburban malls), and the rest are too far away. I'd check out Great Lakes Crossing if the SMART bus went out that way, but it doesn't. There's no bus that goes to Twelve Oaks, either and I refuse to drive that far and burn up that much gas just to go to a mall.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sirrealone, I worked at that Hudson's from 1985-1991. The mall was BUSY with a very good mix of customers and shops. The men's department downstairs was very classy.

Now the stores are catering somewhat to an urban shopper. They should have kept Ruby Tuesday's. A Winkelmans' like store would help. I hope the renovation will bring back more local shoppers who have moved on to Lakeside.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 963
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that Jay Kogan (Former owner) died a few months ago. I recall reading about his divorce proceedings some 5-10 years ago in which it stated that his soon to be ex would dress her dog up in fancy clothes and push the dog around the house in really expensive baby carriages. I know that a lot of money can buy you a hot wife, but can't it get you one that isn't a nut? On second thought money probably brings out the nut in just about everyone.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the store (maybe a restaurant?) outside of Hudson's that had the car in it? I remember thinking that was pretty cool.

One of the best things I remember was the little storefront on the Hudson's facade facing the mall that sold cookies. Best chocolate chip cookies ever for a kid....not even chips but more like chocalate chunks....beat Mrs. Fields any day! I think the storefront is still there but they sell smoothies last I checked.

Is Olgas still there? That was really cool to go get an Olga when I was a kid. That and Kerby's Koney have been mainstays in terms of restaurants.

Harmony House, the first store on top of the second level, was always the place I looked forward to going. My dad would shop at the men's store (Anton's?) right across the way.

Whenever I go in the mall, I like seeing that the two stands near the center court haven't changed....the one in the Hudson's wing (other stores I'll call Macy's but that particular store will always be Hudson's to me) that sells candy and lottery tickets and stuffed animals and such...and the one on the Penney's wing that sells frozen coke's.

I'm glad that the mall is still doing well. It definitely has changed and has gotten stale in terms of design, but I still like going there. If they give it a nice facelift, that'll be a good thing!

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 291
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" There's no bus that goes to Twelve Oaks, either and I refuse to drive that far and burn up that much gas just to go to a mall."

I recall hearing that there used to be a DDOT bus that ran express out to 12 Oaks. Can anyone confirm /deny? There were enough Detroiters who worked there that justified the service. But I don't think that's run in a few years since Novi passed on putting the SMART millage before the voters.

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe a SMART line ends at 12/Haggerty in Farmington Hills, a couple miles before 12 Oaks.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3910
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakland Mall was the last mall I recall to go non-smoking. People were still puffing it up in there in the mid 90's.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 840
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

People were still puffing it up in there in the mid 90's.

I specifically remember smoking still being allowed in early 1997. With the malls we usually frequented being smoke free for as long as we could remember, my girlfriend and i actually felt incredibly uncomfortable lighting up in the middle of a mall, and after the first, never did it again. Something about it just wasn't quite right...

I seem to recall it going smoke free closer to 2000, but i don't know the exact date. I remember thinking 'about time' when i heard the news, even though i was a smoker myself.

I can't say for sure, but i think 12 oaks also allowed smoking till the mid to late 90's.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I believe a SMART line ends at 12/Haggerty in Farmington Hills, a couple miles before 12 Oaks."

You're correct. But I had heard that DDOT used to run a bus to 12 Oaks. Just trying to get a confirmation on that rumor.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when the Oakland Mall Opened Bob Seger Played in front of Hudson's http://www.segerfile.com/conce rts.html#Oakland
great show It was Nice and New!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5375
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer Smart does run to GLC, you have to catch the Woodward Smart to Pontiac and then get on another one that takes you to GLC. I have done it before recently..

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 468
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, theoretically, you can then hook up with Flint's mass transit system at GLC. Never done it, but thought it interesting as I've seen the buses there.

http://WWW.MTAFLINT.ORG/region a%20map.html

Locano
Username: Locano

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised to see any sort of expansion at Oakland Mall considering its proximity to Somerset. I'm glad, though, because I definitely like Oakland better.

When I was at Macy's at Southland Mall on Black Friday (yes, I am insane), the man working there told me that the Macy's at Oakland Mall is going to be open 24 hours the week before Christmas (I guess that would be this coming week). I don't know how reliable of a source he is, but that certainly would be interesting.