Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » No, But YOU'RE Eligible For Getting Your Ass Kicked Off My Porch » Archive through December 18, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something happened tonight, at my home on the NW side. The exact same thing happened here, in October. I am curious to see if anyone else has experienced this one, or if anyone has any relevant information about it.
It is important to note the fact that, in each case, the time was well past the general "dinner hour," and dark outside.
This time, my wife & son answered the door, so I will recount the first incident, when I answered it.
Knock knock.
Yeah?
Sorry about bothering you so late, sir, but my bosses require us to work long hours and into the evening. (Pointedly shows badge, which has a little light attached, hanging from a strap 'round his neck. Has some little book and a clip-board in his hand. No company-marked vehicle is anywhere in sight.) We have a program we're offering where you might be eligible for getting free gas for your home, and all I would need is to take a look at your last gas bill and check your meters inside, sir, to see if you're eligible.
First of all-- and don't take this personally-- the fact that you're here so late is total shit, it looks really wrong, and you want to come in, and see my gas bill, I mean, you know, I automatically am not interested in any of this (already starting to close door) and I'm sure you understand.
Oh, yes sir, I understand.
O.K., have a good one. (*click*)

Exact same thing, again tonight!! The only difference was that the first time, it was a black guy, and this time, a white guy. (Which I point out because it surprised me. A black guy both times, or a white guy both times, sure, but a black guy the first time and a white guy the second? Huh.)
I wish I had answered the door this time because, having seen this bit once before, I might have gone to the trouble to say, wait a minute, let me get a closer look at that badge, who the hell do you work for that sends you knocking on doors at 8:00 PM, now?

Well, gang?
Right now, it's pretty late, and I assume that most of you won't see this thread until Tuesday morning, so I'm going to hang around here for a little while, then check back tomorrow...

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4575
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TOTAL bs. Either these guys are casing your house for a B/E or trying to get in to pull some kind of scam.
This is why you should have a small video camera mounted on your front porch, or a hand held one kept conveniently next to your door. Then you could cheerfully say something like this:
"Well, I don't know who you are, but you are on camera, and now let me ask you how you would feel about a shotgun blast to your knees, which is what you will get if you ever come on my porch again!"

Ravine

Post Number: 1725
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Barnes, I see that we are on the same page, when it comes to this type of thing.
The camera idea is a good one. I like that.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4576
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cops don't come when you call them anymore. Small video cameras are cheap. When this kind of stuff happens, you can show folks on your block exactly what your visitors look like. Homeland Security starts on your porch!

Ravine

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It got me to wondering if they knocked on the door of the lady who lives acoupla doors down from me. Seems to be a decent, upright older lady, who I occasionally see returning from a walk to the corner store, but I'll tell ya, that woman has a glower that could just about turn your ass to stone. I'll bet she would have been REEEAL cooperative with this bullshit.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 719
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Not interested" always works. And it doesn't involve prison time. Seriously if someone feels that threatened by someone knocking on their door, they should move or get help. Both guys were probably legit.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3219
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Usually when these scams work it's elderly folks who are the victims.

Without a video camera installed maybe you should just snap a picture of the guy with a cellphone or digital camera. That would probably send him flying into the night, especially if you tell him it's just in case anything happens in the neighborhood.

Ravine

Post Number: 1727
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am quite willing to consider the possibility that neither guy was a criminal or represented any kind of threat, but knocking on citizens' doors, well after dark, and proposing stuff that involves looking at their bill and coming inside is not even remotely close to "legit."

Ravine

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, neither Barnes, nor I, said anything about feeling threatened.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those people come to my house too, I've had a chick and two dudes over the course of 6 months. They work for some company that offers a reduction in your service and they want to see a copy of your bill etc... I always tell them I am moving in a month. I told the one chick I was moving in a month, and she was like well we may offer services there as well... I said I'm moving to Laurel, MD and she was like is that in Michigan? I laughed and shut the door.

All of these people have popped up since the state of Michigan allowed competition to enter the arena and DTE has to still service the lines, but your billing can be with another company. Even if they do save you money, the next time you have an issue you will be paying out of pocket since DTE is not your billing company and you have to pay them since they service your account. So whatever XYZ company is saving you can come back and bite you in the ass.

It's kinda like when SBC losts its market share etc... they serviced the line but all repairs were out of your pocket.

Ravine

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O.K., Viz, I follow that, and thanks for your input.
Still shady, unprofessional, and non-"legit" to come knocking well after dark.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2460
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No legitimate business sends people to your house after dark. And if they were legit, they would simply have a salesperson leave a flyer on your door or in your mailbox telling you what they offer. Anytime someone has to ask you to see your bill or come inside your home to read your meter is not legit. They were either trying to scam you or case your house to see what you have.

Next time someone comes to your door, ask them their name and who they work for and ask for a phone number and tell them that you'll call the company tomorrow to verify his or her employment. Take a picture of the person with your cell phone and notify the police, if after you call the so-called business it or the employee doesn't exist.

Threatening to shoot them can possibly get you in trouble for making a threat of violence, so I wouldn't say anything like that to them. People who aren't legit usually don't want you to ask them a lot of questions.

Ravine

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't thinking about shooting them.
I was thinking about Barnes coming over and shooting them for me.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And dig this you assholes, and dig it good. Barnes has been shot seven times and he ain't dead, does that mean anything to you, huh? Barnes ain't meant to die! The only thing that can kill Barnes is Barnes.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2217
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mentioning the shotgun or mentioning that you will shoot it at a person who has not displayed a clear and present danger to your personal safety is felonious assault.

Now, cycling that 12 gauge out of sight before you open the door - MUCH more effective than any verbal threat.

And the racking sound of a shotgun knows no language barriers.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan- LOL-perfect...

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 481
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL DAN, classic
====
I suggest to lean out the door, look in both directions, once twice, then start whispering.

"have you seen that guy? he's fuckin' crazy - retired cop - last time one of you guys came door-to-door, he filled his ass with buckshot, dragged him into the garage for three hours of arc welding class. If I was you, I'd get gone, not just off the porch but off the block, the neighborhood."

make sure you looked scared the entire time, real panic, it always works for me. The best part is that you are threatening the guy with real violence but doing it in a friendly way. Make sure you point to something like a damaged tree, or fence, or a neighbors porch and tell the guy, "that's the place here he skinned the neighbors pitbull for barking too much."

Oh yeah, make sure you tell them that the cops never come when you call 911, "...they don't come for me, they don't come for you. You are on your own buddy, I never like seeing a man have his balls burned off, but you are closer than you know."

(Message edited by gnome on December 18, 2007)

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had junk mail from some company offering me lower gas rates, but no visits.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My gas meter is outside. Nobody comes in my house, period. And that free gas thing has SCAM written all over it. I don't give 'em the stink eye, but I do say "No, thanks" politely and shut the door quick.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't ever open your door to someone selling something that you don't know...day or night.

There can be absolutely nothing legitimate about what you described.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Don't ever open your door to someone selling something that you don't know...day or night.

There can be absolutely nothing legitimate about what you described.

Have we really come to this as a country? I admit it is annoying as hell but it could very well be legitimate. Why must we think that everyone is casing our houses? More scare us into submission BS.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4220
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These guys have come through Ferndale before. As far as I know, it is NOT a scam. However, when I was talking to the guy the first time they came by, my neighbor was out and yelled "Don't do it! I ended up paying more!". This obviously irked the guy talking to me, and he apparently honestly found it hard to believe, and went over to talk to my neighbor about it for a bit. Obviously they didn't change his mind.

So yes, they did provide a gas service, but my neighbor's bill went up instead of down, so he switched back.

As for the after dark thing, it's dark by the time people get out of work at 5pm. The boy scouts come to my house after dark, kids collecting cans for band or whatever come after dark. It's the only time most people are home, except on the weekend.

So my advice would be to calm down a little bit on the paranoia, and though I have no personal experience, I suspect you are better off with your regular carrier, for now at least. That said, of course don't give out personal information. If you want to have the dialogue just in case you want to try, give them your actual cost information only.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4221
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, they didn't ask to come inside my house, but it also wasn't 20 degrees out when they came.

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loosely related (in a scammy, on the porch after dark kind of way,) some time ago a teenager came selling candy for Drug Free America. It was not twilight, it was about 8 p.m. and cold and dark out. I told the kid no way would I give a cent to an organization that would have kids out on the street at that time of night to do their money-grubbing, rather than at home doing homework for school. I totally agree that honest sales calls and legitimate fundraising are not done in the dark; and I haven't allowed even the daylight solicitors to enter my home, ever!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6890
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine,

It's a close call, but you have just encountered some con artists posing as Detroit Police officers coming to your front door. You have did the good but risky thing. Those cons might have packin' heat in their pockets. After those cons didn't fell for your trust they left. Next you should call the REAL Police and make a report. For those cons are still loose the ghettos of Detroit looking for some innocent prey to suck on.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 368
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These folks came to my house in Ferndale.

The lady had two other younger guys with her, I presume for "training."

She was extremely aggressive, said she needed to see my gas bill right away because I was going to save tons of money on my gas, and the best part: EVERYONE IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD JUST SWITCHED TONIGHT.

I actually got my gas bill, compared it with their rate, and their rate was higher.

Thier claim is you buy into the rate as shown, and it stays the same for 10 years or something.

I didn't sign up, and they wouldn't give me information about their service. The lady told me I had to go to the web page for information, even though she was holding a bunch of promotional pamphlets in her hand.

I finally got her to give one to me. Upon reading the fine print, it's almost what she said. What they don't tell you about is the $300 fee if you turn off your gas or switch to another company.

Don't buy into this scam. It's not worth your time.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2392
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be really careful about showing strangers my bills with things like my name and account numbers written all over it. Especially since some places use SSNs as your account numbers...

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6476
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've had this shit in Windsor for a few years now. It involves outside "suppliers" for gas and hydro, who get you to lock in a rate with them for the commodity.

I did switch my gas to them, but not hydro. I have saved a little, but it takes a year or two before you see any savings vs. staying with your local utility.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I've had two instances of this. After the last one I submitted something to Channel 4 Ruth to the Rescue.

First time, my wife was alone. A guy comes to the door wearing a Consumers Energy badge. He wants to see the gas bill. I have my bills paid by automatic withdrawal so we have no bill. He says we may have been charged for something we shouldn't have. He leaves her with a pamphlet for some kind of insurance against rising gas prices.

Next time we got a lady early in the morning on Saturday with an AT&T badge. She tells me they plan to be upgrading the phone wiring in our home from copper to fiber optics FREE of Charge! She wanted to see the bill but that is auto withdrawn as well. I'm like umm ok. She takes down some mundane info and then mentions about they need to try the AT&T U-verse on my tv. I'm getting confused at this point, but I haven't commited to anything so I continue to play along. She hands the form to me to sign. I take a very close look at it. It's an order form for me to purchase AT&T U-verse. I tear up and tell her this is not what you said you're doing. She immediately leaves with no argument.

I live in a condo complex with a lot of old people so I'm wasn't surprised to be targeted where I live.

(Message edited by sturge on December 18, 2007)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11047
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its happened to me before in the past. I have told them to leave them followed them to see if they are trying the same stuff on neighbors or doing anything shady.

There is no way this is legit and if they don't victimize one person they will move on to the next until they find someone. As I see it the best thing to do is to stay in their business as long as possible to protect your neighbors or chase them out.