Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 1942 Gratiot Detroit on Google maps. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Talleman1
Username: Talleman1

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was I think a building on the site of east side Gratiot and Vernor and bound by St. Aubin. Does anyone know what happened to the place?

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1942 was a long time ago. I'm not really sure.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 971
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is that in relation to where Joe Muer's was?

Talleman1
Username: Talleman1

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe Muer's I do think was the place that was there.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3427
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Joe Muer building sat vacant and vandalized after Muer's left, and it was demolished a few years ago.

Professorscott

Post Number: 972
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The property was taken over by a bank and they demolished it in 2002. They were supposed to sell the land to Rite Aid for a drug store, but that fell through. Two of Joe's managers kept the name alive for a few years as Joe Muer's Grill in Southfield, but that closed in 2004.

The family is still in the food business, a little. Susan (Joe's niece) runs a cookie shop on Mack in St. Clair Shores; David (a distant cousin) runs the Blue Pointe over in the East English Village area, on Cadieux I think.

Rax

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't the Muer family own Big Fish in Madison Heights? Crusie and Muer's in Rochester? Gandy Dancer, etc?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What did that intersection look like then? I've often wondered. There seems to be a big wide-open right-of-way behind Gratiot there bearing east from what the intersection is now, and I often wonder if that was the "old" Vernor, or High Street.

Professorscott

Post Number: 975
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rax,

The Muer family sold all of the restaurants and the use of the name to Landry's Seafood Restaurants of Houston, Texas. All the restaurants that once were owned by Chuck Muer's company are Landry's now. The sale took place in the spring of 2002. No Muer is involved with that company or those restaurants anymore.

Prof. Scott

Rax

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right on. Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.