Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Redford Twsp, Lola Valley Park Skating « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

393bird
Username: 393bird

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I lived in the Detroit area, I lived in Redford Township, and went to Redford Union HS. Lola Valley Park was close by on Kinlock, and they flooded a section each Winter to make a skating rink. We had some great times there, and the skating rink is brought up often when ever I talk to some of the old group.

I wonder if they still flood that area for skating? If anyone lives in that are, snap a few pictures please.

Here is where it is.

[img]http://members.tccoa.com/392bi rd/lvp.jpg[/img]

The red spot is where we skated every Winter.

Mommydearest
Username: Mommydearest

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No skating in the park nowadays. Wayne County is responsible for the park and the only thing that has been done is refurbishing the restrooms at Kinloch and Pomona. Here's some photos.

Lola Valley Park

393bird

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the information. That is a shame they do not do it now. Skating there was a great place for the teens to have good fun, and stay out of trouble.

I lived on Ivanhoe, off Beach. I was last there in 2001, but hope to return next Summer for a visit. Thanks for the info and pictures.

Fordaspiregv
Username: Fordaspiregv

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't they have an outdoor skating area somewhere? When I lived there, they were talking about building one.

Mommydearest
Username: Mommydearest

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a link on the township home page to the outdoor skating rink, but it doesn't work. I really don't know whether there is one or not. The township still has the indoor rink but it is now managed by a private company.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 391
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing this lack of those neighborhood rinks is due to a lack of funds and the fact that some implied liability may exist if the city were to actually fill and maintain them.

These type of "local rinks" also exist at Hines, and the only time I have seen ice on them is when we get a thaw or good rain just before a deep freeze.

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of the old big elms are gone. There used to be a large covered shelter with wooden benches. There was always a nice fire going in the fire pit to stay warm.

It makes you wonder what the hell is going wrong in society, when neighborhoods do not have gathering spots and good clean fun. You know there was always some mischief with older teens a little later in the evening, but thats normal. People just don't seem to be able to handle reality anymore, so they try to manage it, taking away some of life's best things.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 396
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Frank_c, the teens destroy the ice(when it is there) by breaking it up. No respect for themselves or others, I'm afraid.

The ones who don't live in reality are the ones who are the first to piss and moan that there isn't anything for their kids to do.

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well their used to be almost as many adults there as children, and they would be shown respect, if things weren't right an adult was usually able to just bring it to the young peoples attention and that would be enough.

Need more adults in kids lives I guess.

EVERYONE outside and play..............

Plymouthres

Post Number: 400
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Until the streetlights come on!

393bird

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoyed the time around the fire, almost as much as skating. Getting a big "Crack the Whip" going was always fun, even if you ended up in a snow bank. :-) During the Winter, I spent many evenings every week there. On the weekends we did a lot of sledding on the hills in Western Golf Course.

During the Summer we would go to the drive in restaurants, drive in movies, or out cruising. I remember going to the drag strip up in New Baltimore, at 26 mile road. Heck, I am still at car nut.

I am glad I was brought up when I was, "The Good Days"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.