Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Favorite thread of the year « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4334
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the year winding down, I'd like to remember my favorite thread from this past year.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/92879.html

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. Thanks for the memories, JL!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5968
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL... yeah Johnlodge, that thread and the potato chip that looks like Jesus... are the highlights of 2007! :-)

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its got to be Quicken!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5805
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good thread. jjaba musta missed it on his way down Woodward. Why the curve in Woodward, anyways?
jjaba.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 502
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From when it was widened, jjaba. You should know, you were around back then anyway right!? ;-)

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 429
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've read through the thread that Johnlodge posted and I laughed till my sides hurt! I said it before and I'll say again - you guys are too funny! The things you all do with pictures plus your commentary give me plenty to laugh about! :-)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5808
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gsgeorge, jjaba ain't THAT old, although his relatives wrote letters back to France for Antoine dela mothe Cadillac, back in his heyday.

jjaba.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5986
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, that particular curve in Woodward where the Garfield Building (on the left) is located was because the folks in the 1930's who were planning the widening of Woodward were working out of the Garfield Building.

They didn't want to disrupt themselves (just everyone else!), and the Garfield Building was spared a face-ectomy... such as that received by many of the Woodward buildings, Churches, and the Majestic Theatre during the Woodward widening.

Detrola
Username: Detrola

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite thread would be any that mentions DULY"S

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 166
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite has got to be the thread that brought me to DetroitYes! in the first place...the discussion about the ribbon farms in Detroit. Had I not been searching for information on those for my grandkids, I never would have found these great discussions.

Happy Holidays to each and every one of you...and may the New Year bring you Peace and Happiness!

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 162
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hans, looks like you're famous.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11157
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blueidone,

I just learned a few weeks ago that my Polish grandparent's home on Plummer off Junction, just north of Vernor where Holy Redeemer sits, was one of the original ribbon homes.

Couldn't believe it.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5814
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, did you receive your gift from jjaba?

Blueidone, this Forum is amazing. Nno matter what you Google about Detroit, this Forum is one of the first items to pop up, and Google seems to be current in the middle of our posts. Lowell, you are amazing.

The Forum popped up when I Googled Charles Agree just yesterday.

jjaba, The Source.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 688
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Best Threads are about the EASTSIDE....where JJaba went to school and has agreed to meet at the foot of Lakewood this summer to go fishin' with GB and Myself.....

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Favorite(s): All the nostalgia threads, especially those about Eastside Catholic Schools, the Civic Center and Harper Woods.

Least Favorite(s): Any threads taken over by those with racist agendas - black or white.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That thread made me laugh out loud.
The people here can really make threads take off in unexpected ways.
Thanks for the link!

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 240
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anything by Ookpik.
Anything by Tponetom.

And this Outer Drive one is looking pretty cool.

Oh, and the one that started off about talking to panhandlers or something like that, then turned into a huge music discussion!

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 230
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still fondly recall the thread that started out as a bit of useless trivia regarding the origins of Cheesecake Factory, then morphed into a debate about the morality of inviting a Cheesecake Factory (or other large chain restaurants) into our fine downtown business district.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/107211/107087.html

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 830
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I look forward to this thread every year:

Zulu's Kwanzaa thread

Jjaba

Post Number: 5841
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waz, Ookpik's pics. are jjaba's pick too.
That was a wonderful series, eh.

Anything Gistok, Hornwrecker, Ray1936, or MikeM are really excellent.

jjaba.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 273
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 4:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anything from the "Oldtimers" who tell us the stories about how good it used to be, as well as the problems that were to be solved. It reminds us that if we put our nose to the grindstone, that city can and will more than just get back on its feet. jjaba, Tponetom, Ray1936 et al , you know who you are! Keep educating, sooner or later they will notice that the C of D isn`t a dump, it`s just been dumped upon.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.