Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Peace March in Royal Oak « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rogerjab
Username: Rogerjab

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must of been at least 200 people marching in downtown Royal Oak for an end to the War tonight. Peter Werbe was in front of me he told me WWJ was supose to be covering it. Generally we got a real good welcoming response from the sound of all the honks, anyone else make it or hear about it?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. Big media wants you to shop, not protest.

Maybe they'll run a below-the-fold story titled, "Protestors Urge Peace With Terrorists."

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 506
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sound of all the honks???

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2447
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which war?

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 856
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, honking on a horn sure will end a war. They probably just wanted to get you out of the way. There are many ways to actively get out and urge an end to war, but standing in a group with signs saying "honk for peace" is not the way to do it.

DISCLAIMER: The above is just my two cents. I am not at all saying you do not have the right to do so, or that I am against your right to do it. I just dont see the benefit.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1705
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Study: 38 Percent Of People Not Actually Entitled To Their Opinion

The Onion

May 23, 2007

CHICAGO—In a surprising refutation of the conventional wisdom on opinion entitlement, a study conducted by the University of Chicago's School for Behavioral Science concluded that more than one-third of the U.S. population is neither entitled nor qualified to have opinions.

"On topics from evolution to the environment to gay marriage to immigration reform, we found that many of the opinions expressed were so off-base and ill-informed that they actually hurt society by being voiced," said chief researcher Professor Mark Fultz, who based the findings on hundreds of telephone, office, and dinner-party conversations compiled over a three-year period. "While people have long asserted that it takes all kinds, our research shows that American society currently has a drastic oversupply of the kinds who don't have any good or worthwhile thoughts whatsoever. We could actually do just fine without them."

In 2002, Fultz's team shook the academic world by conclusively proving the existence of both bad ideas during brainstorming and dumb questions during question-and-answer sessions.

http://www.theonion.com/conten t/news_briefs/study_38_percent _of_people

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 322
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here I go, about to stir things up and anger people again, but there are few people I despise more than Werbe. That SOB is one of the most negative people around. If you are conservative, he thinks you are inherently evil. America is a disgrace. The only think I've heard him say anything nice about was Cuba! All this guy does is spew hate about the people he claims are themselves hateful. Otherwise he's protesting things he hates. Absolutely one of the most miserable, depressing people I've heard.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 963
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re-read you own post about hateful, miserable people.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 996
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"That SOB is one of the most negative people around."

I agree. I use to listen to his show about 10-15 years ago. After listening to him for a while you feel like slitting your wrists. In my opinion it's one of the reasons that liberal radio doesn't have much of a voice. A lot of people grow tired of the constant negative tone.

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RJK,

I've always found FOX to be uplifting.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 820
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hpgrmln - i concur
I tried to listen to Werbe, very hard to take. I wonder if he influences the whole staff at wrif or if mgmt. agrees with him wholeheartedly.
he belongs on error amerika radio.
Al Franken is a conservative compared to him.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4378
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is great to hear that there are folks out there protesting the forgotten war and reminding folks that our over-extended troops are still being sacrificed during this holiday period for someone's personal ego and blunders.

Peter Werbe is a great talk show host with his "Nightcall" being the longest running show in Detroit, on the air decades before Air America, Rush Limbaugh and the others. I listen to him frequently and have done so over the years; he is on every Sunday nights starting at 11PM on WRIF 101.9 and now on the web too.

He has been a consistent voice of radical dissent who called out the disasterous and criminal war on Iraq long before it started and through out. He is too radical for Air America.

If you can't take his truth, switch him off.

Rogerjab

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't agree more Lowell. It was great to see Americans using their right of protest to an illegal action of the Bushco crime family. Americans rarely use their rights anymore, such as protest.

As far as Werbe goes I to have listened to him to over the years, not a more level headed or reasoned talk show host around. He is truely a Detroit jewel. For anyone wanting to listen to him on podcast you can now suscribe to his show "nightcall" through Itunes for free through the "White Rose society podcasts" it's great way to catch a voice of reason and not have to stay up till 1am on a Sunday night.

One last thing about the peace protest, I never thought a "Peace on Earth" protest would be trashed as much as it has been on this forum, but I guess I'm just confused about the meaning of Christmas, Peace out and a Merry Christmas to All!

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 323
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"One last thing about the peace protest, I never thought a "Peace on Earth" protest would be trashed as much as it has been on this forum, but I guess I'm just confused about the meaning of Christmas, Peace out and a Merry Christmas to All!"

Not so much the march as the attendant. Christmas is all about peace. Interestingly, it's a religious holiday, and Mr. werbe himself will tell you that he is oppossed to religion. He has had harsh words to say about it.
Lots of people hate Bush, too. But the way he seems to vilify ALL people even slightly right of center as if they aren't human is awful extreme.
I have listened to his show and have found much of what he has said to be very much inconsistent with the kind of tolerance and acceptance he claims to savor. And he devotes so much time to things that make him angry or things he hates. None of that is peaceful, or representative of Christmas.
As far as Limbaugh and Hannity, etc. go, I get the impression a lot of their stuff is played up a bit. They make a good living being syndicated on stations across the country and have to be slightly over the top to continue luring in curious listeners.the Conservatives on WJR seem to be more like entertainers than mere commentators.

Rogerjab

Post Number: 64
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, nice rationalization there. I won't deny that Werbe is against religion. But the statement that he vilifies people to the right of center while Limbaugh and Hannity simply play up their hate spew is hardly an objective observation.

Werbe is hardly spewing the hate that the right wing seems so adept at. Just some more regurgitation and nonsense that the other Fauxites repeat, all this while the middle class and poor get flushed down the drain by "fair and balanced" people such as yourself.

“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” Sinclair Lewis

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 108
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's critique the message and not the messenger. The war is wrong, I agree with that.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 518
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure they weren't marching into the bars?

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 619
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those marchers were excersing their democratic rights to protest peacefully. Wish I would have known about the march. I disagree with the debacle and clusterfuck that has created a devastated Iraq while Americans are having fundraisers to obtain medical care; bridges are collapsing; soldiers are being blown to smithereens for what? The marches and protests in the Detroit metropolitan area are disapointingly small. All Americans should excercise their right to vote. How many of us have the time to research all the complexities and details of the issues? Quality of life, accesibility of social services; unemployment rates so on and so forth are indicitive of whether we should vote for this person or that issue etc. Nightcall is popular outside of the U.S. The show airs as far away as Finland.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4117
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wrif.com/nightcall/

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3523
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh, go to Werbe's website:http://www.peterwerbe.com/
then go to Detroit Calendar. You will get info on all of the local marches and demonstrations. Also Gray Panthers of Metro Detroit at http://www.graypanthersmetrode troit.org/
Look for the Peace and Justice Calendar for events.

I wish I could have been at the Friday march. I am a huge huge fan of Peter Werbe.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 826
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that the war in Iraq was at the least a premature forced mistake. I even like Al Gore's reasoning on why it was a mistake.
I even think we not only need but it is necessary to have a vocal dissenting opinion to any party in power to call them on the carpet when the F up.
But when I was awake and listened to Werbe a few times, who has many good points that I agree with, it was just hard for me to hear the constant bashing on anything conservative. Thats all...

Terryh

Post Number: 620
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive checked out his site before but thanks for the reminder. Lefty2 it is good to listen to opposing viewpoints even if they annoy or anger you. Try to be fair and not get too emotional. I have listened to Mark Levine on occassion,and find his show entertaining. Talk show hosts have target audiences and know how to 'work the crowd' so to speak.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What an embarrassing bunch of clowns!

It would be mostly ignorable if people's blood was not on your hands.

But, of course it is.

Feel free to sit back in your chairs at your laptops and act like Monday morning quarterbacks while the people that defend us are torn apart on the battle field, often by the encouragement of your ilk to their enemy.

It is disgusting.

Terryh

Post Number: 622
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How was the unprovoked attack on Iraq defending us?

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A) Your comment is not factual to start with

B)How is your comment helping America?

C) How many people must be killed by your ignorance?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3525
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A) How many people are bored by your ignorance?

B) Why do you hate citizens acting like citizens?

C) What part of "Freedom of Speech" don't you understand?

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OldRed,

1) How many times must you wipe the blood of our soldiers from your bored, rather strained conscience?

2) Why do you think that your actions are in any way honorable when you continue to act in a manner detrimental to our troops and our country? Who gave you the mistaken impression that this sort of disgraceful babbling against our country and our troops is "acting like a citizen?" Just for your information, outside of your leftist utopia, you are not acting like a citizen, you are acting like a traitor... and the end result is death and maiming of people who actually committed to showing up on the battlefield.

3) What part of "Freedom of Speech" don't you understand?

Apparently, you think it means you can say whatever you like, regardless of the end results. That of course is not what it means... so learn it before you whine to me that we don't like that your unAmerican comments are considered "UnAmerican"....They are!

Rogerjab

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wanted to pass along to anyone who missed the Peace March and wanted to attend, there's another one scheduled for Jan. 18th(3rd Friday of the month). There's nothing specifically set for the Detroit area or Royal Oak yet, but I guess this has been the 3rd event held by Iraq Moratorium. And yes it's endorsed by Peter Werbe. Check it out: http://www.iraqmoratorium.org/

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good God, this is so Vietnam.
Irish_Mafia, your team started a war that was not necessary, distracted from our true enemy and killed thousands needlessly.

You would have made a good National Guard soldier at Kent State, I imagine.

When people with an IQ and sense of right and wrong speak out, you deem it unpatriotic.

You need to wash a little blood off your hands too, it seems, Mr. Forum Warrior.

Supporting an illegal and immoral war, and wrapping your misguided personal beliefs in the flag is shallow and poorly thought out.

Good luck being stuck in your body and mind!

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 964
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What part of "Freedom of Speech" don't you understand?

Apparently, you think it means you can say whatever you like, regardless of the end results. That of course is not what it means..."

Certainly not! Freedom of Speech means neo-cons get to say whatever they want, while anyone else doing so is labeled a traitor.

Sieg Heil, Irish.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the same old crap they fed us during the Viet Nam era, the folks that really cared about the troops wanted them home. Mr. Werbe is a Patriot, and the chicken hawks are free to invest their sons and daughters so that we can extract our oil that is under their sand.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4595
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do I hear the furious clucking of a chickenhawk?

http://www.symbolman.com/chick enhawks.swf

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6728
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It also seems like a lot of these new day patriots forget that our forefathers during the Revolutionary War were also branded traitors by the British Crown. People in a free society have the right to protest and speak up to what they believe is tyrannical. You don't have to agree with any of it, but that's part of the basis in which our country is founded.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Washington Square in DC is usually lined with both supporters and detractors of the war. Although the ratio is not symmetrical, both sides are fully within their rights to speak out.

So grab a placard and a sharpie, and get down there and let 'em know how you feel, Irish_Mafia!

And remember..spelling does matter, if people are going to take you seriously!

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mission Accomplished" : message on White House sign behind President Bush on the aircraft carrier in 2003.

Four years later, our federal government decided to settle 16,500 unemployed Iraqi refugees in Warren and Sterling Heights. Some victory.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 519
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They'll use any excuse to have a parade in Royal Oak.
They used to have just one on Memorial Day. Now, it's St.Pats, Gay Day, and anything else someone can make some money on day.
A peace march isn't a bad idea but it loses it's appeal in Royal Oak. The war won't be over until a new president takes over (at the earliest) so it's kind of a waste of time anyways.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Peter Werbe. WRIF rocks!

Wfw
Username: Wfw

Post Number: 320
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The scariest thing about neo-cons is that dissent = treason. Not only is this kind of thinking incredibly wrong headed, but its also very, very dangerous.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.