Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Another downtown building renovation? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 327
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was working on the slow moving development on the corner of Cass and Columbia, when I noticed a crew of men removing and cleaning junk out of the multiple story building on the east side of Cass, just south of the 75 service drive. One of the crew told me that someone had bought the building, and they were cleaning it out for a future renovation.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 493
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://tinyurl.com/2z9c2z

That one? Sounds good but the building is kind of in the middle of no-man's land, surrounded by empty lots and parking.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's good none the less. We need someone to get the ball rolling on development in that part of DD. It could very well be our own world class entertainment district in the future.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 495
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Rise, if any area is a "blank slate" just waiting to be taken advantage of, it's this one. Between the Fox and the MGM, close proximity to stadiums. Once it starts filling in, it will be very desirable. I just hope that potential buyers can overlook the acres of parking surrounding them for now.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2221
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats the Film Exchange building.

http://www.detroitblog.org/?p= 141

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the Film Exchange Building detroitblog wrote a history on it.
http://www.detroitblog.org/?p= 141

You said you were working on the development at Cass and Columbia which is the former CC Bar site, what's the plan for new building?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice link Mauser. I wasn't aware of the whole history behind the building.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 499
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool history, it would be great to live there but the stories about the stray cats was a bit disconcerting. Must be a helluva cleanup job trying to get those things out of there. Next thing you know you got PETA on your ass and the project comes to a halt...

Verifiable
Username: Verifiable

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you referring to 2214 Cass Avenue (NE Corner of Cass Avenue and W. Columbia Street)? That property is recorded as owned by Don Kostoff at 5953 ROCKLAND CT, DEARBORN HEIGHTS, MI 48127-2912.

That property and two others north of it and fronting Cass Avenue along the east between W. Columbia and W. Montcalm are not yet owned by Ilitch entities; neither is a property on the east side of that same city block which is controlled by Freda Alibri. Ilitch appears to have failed to take control of approximately 75%of that city block which sits in the middle of other Ilitch controlled properties including the Moose Lodge, Chin Tiki and Ancient Egyptian Arabic Order of Noble Mythic Shrine.

http://www.theverifiabletruth. com/2007/12/several-other-prop erty-owners-present.html

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1953
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Freda Alibri the widow of John Alibri?
He owned quite a lot of parking in the northern part of downtown, including lots that are now part of Comerica park. He came to the US in 1957 from Lebanon without much to his name, worked hard and started buying properties ten years later.

Soulhawk

Post Number: 330
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was talking about the building on the northeast corner of Cass and the service drive. The building that I was working on was the old C.C. Bar.

Soulhawk

Post Number: 331
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After checking the link, the building that I was talking about is the Film Exchange Building.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3451
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soulhawk, what exactly is being done on the C.C. Bar?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news. Thanks for letting us know Soulhawk. I am so happy about this!

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 993
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The CC Bar is going ahead a little sporadically but much progress is being made. The place is taking shape. Nice fascade. I talked with the workers a couple of weeks ago and saw they were putting the finishing touches on a "balcony" where drinks/food will be served (a la Twingo's.) There's also a stage. Don't know what type of entertainment but there's been rumors there will be strippers. If so, sit back and enjoy the upcoming war. (The workers initially said it is going to be a Hooters, but it's way too small for one.)

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 226
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Hooters in downtown Detroit would be interesting and kind of cool.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it were a Hooters Ssport and Jmil would not need to hit the burbs to catch up.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"there's been rumors there will be strippers."

Larry Flint strip club?

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lame (Hooters) and Lamer (Larry Flint). I'd rather it sit empty. And yes, I mean that.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will not be a Hooters. They once entertained the idea of the former McDonalds location in Comerica Park, but have not discussed any other locations in Detorit.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 444
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strongly agree Gotdetroit

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 247
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats wrong with Hooters? If it made money and kept another building out of decay I'd be happy.

I always kinda had hopes that the Chin Tiki would get reopened. From what I've heard the interior is in the same condition as when it was closed.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 486
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I talked with the workers a couple of weeks ago and saw they were putting the finishing touches on a "balcony" where drinks/food will be served (a la Twingo's.)

By "a la Twingo's" do you mean out of business within 3 years?

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 662
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

twingos is in business

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for real though?

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 820
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe a BW3? but I would be happy with any well run establishment.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 248
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are we still talking about the Film Exchange building?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. 3WC threw that portion of the thread discussion off at "(The workers initially said it is going to be a Hooters, but it's way too small for one.)" It's not really thread jacking, but I call it a thread imbalance.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5998
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that like a hormone imbalance?

The CC Bar is just across the street from the Film Exchange Building.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't know Gistok. Never had one :-)

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 994
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone on the thread asked a question re: the status of the CC Bar. I tried to answer it. (And, the guy who said it was going to be a Hooters was clearly joking when he said it.) I'm just the messenger.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I know 3WC, it's not your fault. It's the people who beat the dead horse that screwed everything. You just killed the horse.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 490
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

twingos is in business

Then how long are they going to be closed temporarily? It's been over a month and a half. Any business that has bills and gets shuttered for two weeks hardly ever makes it back open.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.