Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Petition for Hudsons » Archive through December 20, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Designerguy24
Username: Designerguy24

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanna get peoples opinion. Do you think we should start a petition to bring back the Hudsons name plate? Macy's to me is just not up to pare with what Hudsons use to be. Macy's is trashy and dirty and they now use coupons and the Oakland Mall store is now open 24 hrs till Christmas! I think they hae gone way down!
BRING BACK HUDSONS!!

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 995
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get yourself a can of spray paint and do it yourself.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 230
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

same overpriced crap Hudson's and Marshall's had. Don't shop there anymore...eventually they'll disappear.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 484
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think they hae gone way down!

At least the Macy's store in NYC didn't have to be imploded.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not to dampen your enthusiasm DG, but when they changed marshall field's in chicago to macy's, chicagoans collected 60,000 signatures to retain the name. had no effect. they even just asked that the flagship store downtown retain the building name, to no avail. now it's "macy's on state street." but i share your sentiment; they're gonna have to drag me into globalized branding kicking and screaming.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep in mind naming rights or ownership. I'm sure Marshall Field's bought the Hudson's 'name' and you'd think that ownership would subsequently have passed to May's. I doubt anybody could just open up a Hudson's department store without some sort of purchase or authorization to use it. And they're certainly not going to grant it in Detroit unless they pulled out of the market, only because they know that would hurt sales at their own branded stores.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A petition to change the name of a department store? This is your priority these days? Wow.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 277
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just at Macy's the other day complaining about the stock and quality of clothes - the sales guy agreed with me. We both miss Hudsons! Bring em back!

Detroitinmyheart
Username: Detroitinmyheart

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Hudson
s Bay dept store in Canada affiliated/was with the old Hudson's?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. I believe HBC is much older.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some one should petition the Hudson's Bay Company to open a department store in downtown Detroit. The store could have a huge "HUDSON'S" followed by a tiny "Bay Company". Would that make certain people happy?

Wikipedia claims HBC has been around since 1670: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H udson's_Bay_Company

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

when they changed marshall field's in chicago to macy's, chicagoans collected 60,000 signatures to retain the name.

There are still people handing out flyers in front of the store trying to get other people to boycott it. I just laughed and went inside anyway. Really...these people have nothing better to do that to picket Macy's a few weeks before Christmas???

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hudson Bay Company was named after Hudson Bay. which was named after Henry Hudson who was there in 1610. The company was incorporated in 1670 with a charter granting it the Indian fur trade monopoly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H udson's_Bay_Company

Hudson's Department Store in Detroit was named after Joseph Lowthian Hudson, who opened his store in 1881.

http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=29&catego ry=business

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 387
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There are still people handing out flyers in front of the store trying to get other people to boycott it. I just laughed and went inside anyway."

It's actually working though. Sales are so bad at the State St store that it could be closed. Plans to buy the store from Macy's and convert it to an independent department store under the Marshall Fields name is actually gaining some ground. I bet the folks at Macy's are dying to unload this store to some private developer for a bargain price.

While this thread topic sounds like a dream, it COULD work in Chicago, but in Detroit or anywhere in Michigan is just ridiculous since there are other things to worry about.

(Message edited by wolverine on December 20, 2007)

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 973
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upinottawa, does HBC even use the word "Hudson" at all anymore? Last few times I was in Toronto the advertising all just referred to it as "The Bay".

I think that particular Hudson reference may have gone the way of Roebuck.

Designerguy24

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be nice to convert the The Somerset Collection Macy's to a Hudsons. Personally I think that Macy's is junky and brings down Somerset as a whole.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6698
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In this day of brand marketing & identity why would Macy's suddenly want to open up Hudson's again? It would mean re-branding so many of their items just to have that badge again.

As much as I long for those magical days of going into the downtown Hudson's to see Christmas displays again, I know this won't happen.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 974
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What good would changing the name do anyhow, if it were possible, which it is not? Changing the name to Hudson's won't suddenly bring back the way Hudson's stores used to be.

No store is like Hudson's used to be. You need more employees and you need to pay them reasonably well. The Wal Mart model is the modern one, sad to say.

Designerguy24

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroityesers should get together and buy the Hudsons name and open our own Hudsons!

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds awesome! I wish I had the money to contribute.

Onthe405
Username: Onthe405

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sierralone, just some historical clarification: Marshall Field never "bought" or "took over" hometown Hudson's. This is one of the more misunderstood myths amongst Detroiters.

The Dayton-Hudson Corp (a 1969 merger between Hudson's in Detroit & Dayton's in Minneapolis) added Field's to their portfolio around 1990. Dayton's had already started "Target", a discount division in 1962.

Of these 3 nameplates, Field's was by far the most prestigious & world renowned (JLH didn't even have a flagship store anymore by then) so Dayton-Hudson made the decision to retire the other two names.

However, the heritage of the company management, products, and service went back to the original Hudson, Webber, and Dayton families.

It made no sense to have a company named "Dayton-Hudson" with no Dayton's and no Hudson's, so they simultaneously re-named the company "Target Corp", since the number of Target stores outnumbered Field's by about 100 to 1 by the year 2000.

Stockholder pressure eventually forced the Target board to sell off Field's, because they felt the department store sector (although still profitable) didn't have the same growth potential as Target.

May Department Stores bought Field's in 2004, but Macy's (Federated at the time) purchased May almost immediately thereafter. So in terms of name ownership: Target still owns the rights to the Dayton's & Hudson's name (try this: www.hudsons.com and see what happens!).

May briefly held the Marshall Field name in 2004, which in turn became property of Macy's. Only Macy's has the legal right to revive/re-use it.

(Message edited by onthe405 on December 20, 2007)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2403
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wouldn't be the same. Hudson's is dead and Marshall Fields killed it!

Designerguy24

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like we neet to get together then and buy the name from Target! Everyone get there checkbooks out!

Onthe405

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lhreartthed, see post @ 2:46 Hudson's killed the Hudson's name!

Here's something to think about, though:

Everytime you shop at Target INSTEAD of macy*s (after all the quality is the same & the prices cheaper) you are supporting the original Hudson's company instead of Macy's.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's irritating to me is that these idiots in Chicago, through their stubbornness and one-track minds, are going to get the State St. store closed. Then what? Once a flagship store closes for good, what the hell else is going to go in there? You hate Macy's on State so much? Fine, I'm sure they'd love to close the (unprofitable) store. Happy now?

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 168
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we should just start small and open a Kresge's with some socks, gum and a lunch counter.

Onthe405

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Then what?"

Unlike Detroit, downtown Chicago is thriving. The property would be re-developed very quickly. All of the Chicagoans I've talked to would rather see the building as "The Marshall Field Lofts" rather than Messy's!

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 388
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What's irritating to me is that these idiots in Chicago, through their stubbornness and one-track minds, are going to get the State St. store closed. Then what? Once a flagship store closes for good, what the hell else is going to go in there?"

I made that point on a Chicago forum last summer and got chewed out for saying that.

Whatever the case...whatever name, I think it's more important to keep one of the nation's last classic department stores open. It's more than a brand, but an operational facility serving as an artifact of our nations retail history. I hate to see it end up like Carson Pirie Scott across the street and become all subdivided into office space.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professorscott: the HBC website is http://www.hbc.com/hbc/

Note that "the Bay" is just one of several stores in the HBC family. That being said, most "the Bay"(s) are called just that.

Also, note the use of HBC rather than the Hudson's Bay Company on the home page. That being said, at the top of the web browser screen it identifies the site by the longer name.

If HBC ever opened a store in Detroit, the "Hudson's" portion of the name would never be prominent. "The Bay" is the name with brand recognition.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's a checkbook?