Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Fenkell between Meyers and Schaefer « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wiz40
Username: Wiz40

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Population is probably keeping a lot of small biz alive here, as well as the other mile roads. National Heating and Cooling, Dresner's, Richard's Auto and Sam's (near Hubbell) are still going strong, as is Akbar's Restaurant. The Eaton/ Hillview area lost Strand Heating after Charles Strand's passing, Bockstanz moved on (even though they had a long history dating to the Mayor Pingree era. What happened to Brickley's (drug store),and Vulcan Iron Works? Kendrick's Records has been renamed, but way back in the early '70s the Variety Movie Theater at Ward sadly shut its doors. The neighborhood lasted thru the gang problems of the '70s, but when I saw women propositioning men in front of Guest (Bethune) Primary, I almost cried at the visual destruction of an area that was once the most important part of my life.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5818
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wiz40, welcome to The Forum. jjaba feels the same way with the demise of Wyoming and Schoolcraft area retail and light industry.

jjaba.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2458
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove that neighborhood last October and found pockets of well-maintained homes in the area. Unfortunately, the non-pocket areas looked pretty drab. My old neck of the woods (40s and 50s) was Meyers and Schoolcraft, and I did have a good feeling to see our old house was in one of the well maintained pockets.

I never went up along Fenkell much. All the guys up there went to Cooley, and my Mackenzie "M" letter sweater would have gotten me into deep doo-doo there...... :-)

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was my neighborhood frm 1948-1971(15322 Ward Av, 2nd house north of Fenkell. In 02 I went by the old house. Dad would've rolled over in his grave-very sad. Although some of the other houses were holding up ok. In my childhood the Variety was the Carlton(then Surf) theater. Got hit by a car when I was 9 in 52 in front of the theater while playing baseball on the theater lot. I remember Bond Drugs on Sorrento, Herman Hudson-Nash dealership on Steel&Fenkell & Wrigley's right on our corner. Worse thing to happen to our block(Ward btwn Fenkell&Keeler) was losing all the trees. Too stark & depressing now. No wonder hardly anyone has any pride in its appearance.

W_6_mile
Username: W_6_mile

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Guest Middle School.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.