Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Controversial Iraq war and Detroit's decay « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hockey_guy
Username: Hockey_guy

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This government finds it more important to rebuild Iraq and Afghanistan, than to fix our cities. People are hurting right here, lack of decent jobs, neighborhoods have turned into urban wasteland. Detroit's only one example among many of course. New orleans still has neighborhoods destroyed by Katrina. Schools are being built over there, when the money could be used for schools here. Politicians tour other countries to see their poverty, and other problems, they could view poverty and blight in America. Is anyone upset about this, even just a little?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is all true. However, we can't blame the government officials for all of it. We need to demand these issues to the governemnt and stand behind them. Otherwise, it will just be the same old sorry story everyday.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The AM Talk radio in your F-150 has an off switch, people of Michigan!
If you would have turned it off in the 80's, instead of listening to El Rushbo, Michiganders, The cow, barn and farm would still be there.

Satan has many disguises.
And letting a dashboard speaker do your thinking for you is just dangerous.

Yet, from their view, directly under the bus..I continue to hear the circular logic of those with red state thinking in a blue collar place.

And that has never made a lick of sense to me.
Because the GOP wants to close every factory in this entire country.
They are halfway to their goal.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 991
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"..... the GOP wants to close every factory in this entire country."

This may be the dumbest statement, among many, ever to be posted on this forum.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rest my case, your Honor, lol.

(Message edited by LarryinFlorida on December 24, 2007)

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 187
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is deep, but not totally off. Read Lyndon Larouche's http://www.larouchepub.com/oth er/2004/3116detroit_dies.html

I don't nesecarilly support this but I like to read other viewpoints

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 316
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry,

While you may bemoan our fate living in the poorest city in the US, there is no comparison to poverty throughout the rest of the world.

Travel to Africa a few times and you will realize how uniformed your view of world poverty is Hockey. Even the worst parts of Detroit would be considered luxurious compared to Kibera (Google it) or Baghdad.

I agree about the amount of Federal dollars traveling to New Orleans with so little coming to Detroit.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very interesting link Dodgemain. Detroit's story is probably one of the saddest in American history.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4597
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Agreed, Docmo, I've been to places where poverty is much worse...some of them are countries where our government has meddled for the last half century and made things worse.
(Guatemala and Salvador come to mind...)
as for the question: Is anyone upset about this, even just a little?
Yes. Every day.
The sick cultists think that they are more patriotic for supporting the criminally incompetent while they denounce everyone else as soft on crime. They frequently show themselves willing to write off many of our cities and many of their fellow Americans.
They call us traitors for criticising their bungling incompetent war pig leaders. They scream "Speak English!" even though their leader cannot. They conjure up mythic "welfare queens" in our cities, when the real "welfare queens" are the corporations or dictators whose crimes they excuse, fund and facilitate (i.e. Blackwater, General Mushariff)
They are collaborators; they are found in every country; they are in every society, they are small people who feel empowered when a boot is on someone elses face... they have always been with us, they will always be with us. The greatest weapon to fight them is education.
Happy Holidays.

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 283
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If cars ran on salt our government would be here.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.