Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Forum wants to get people moving to city Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 524
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the freep. Anyone here attending?

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20071225/NEWS06/ 712250310

Hamtramike
Username: Hamtramike

Post Number: 480
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" who hopes to go back to graduate school and be back in Detroit by 2020."

"The biggest commitment you can make is by living here. I'm not holding myself to that standard right now," he said. "But eventually I'll live here myself."

Maybe the forum can promote more of this kind of commitment.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6909
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To get people to move back to Detroit takes time and patience. The folks in Detroit need to end their years of segregation, violent crime and political corruption. Detroit needs new homes, businesses and good public school system. Detroit needs to diversify THAT'S RIGHT DIVERSIFY! That means balancing the percentage of the majority race that ruled Detroit like a iron fist. If we have these requirements then Detroit could grow otherwise forget about it and move on.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 778
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's always the same old obstacle: Crime. Until that is properly addressed, it's not happening. Investors may renovate a few commercials into lofts with success, but the residential area is going to continue to decline.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be there if I can remember to attend.

Locano
Username: Locano

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's interesting. On the first day of classes back in September of this year, one of my professors was giving us a little history on her education and experiences. She first attended MSU, but then went to MIT to obtain two masters degrees. After several years of living in Boston (and thinking she would live there for the rest of her life), she moved back to Detroit, citing a tie that the city had on her.

It would be nice if Detroit had that much of a tie on everyone.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 520
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It used to years ago.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2490
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone go?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2172
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Could it be a thriving nightlife, or maybe the convenience of more grocery stores in the city? Or perhaps better public transportation could lure young people back for more than just the holidays?"

I nearly like Detroit just the way it is. A good economy is all that it would take for me to move back.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.