Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Trees Stolen in Flint! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rod
Username: Rod

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.cw46online.com/stor y.aspx?id=78635
Seems there's no more copper left to steal, so now they've moved on to TREES. This got me thinking, How many trees have been stolen in Detroit?.

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 198
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The money tree that used to be known as "The Big Three"

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4145
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not really worth a new thread but the scrappers are hitting farmers now: Thieves hit farmers for copper.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 714
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked for a large landscaping company. We were replanting pine trees in a low income housing developement. I was told that the 6ft pine trees turned into Christmas trees in Dec so we had to replant them. Creative theft if you ask me.
There were reports recently in the news of Japanese maple trees being stolen out of front yards in the suburbs. The large trees are very valuable because they are slow growing. I saw one about 10 ft tall and worth about 20 grand that had been replanted. One of the manager came drove out to the site to water it every day!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5997
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bibs... (now I have to get one of those motion detector lights for my front porch)... I have a Japanese Maple exactly as you described in front of my house... :-(

On second thought... where does one go to sell these trees? :-)

At even half that price, I wouldn't mind selling my 12 footer... after all I still have a 80 foot Silver Maple in front of the house.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 623
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tree gangsters. A hustles a hustle.

Jimaz

Post Number: 4151
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least they're not stealing shrubberies.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 939
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They busted some scrappers at a vacant home by me the other day. Guy said he was tired and wanted to go in the home to take a nap.

Bibs

Post Number: 715
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok - I would call a couple of nurseries in the area and find out what they are charging for a Japanese maple your size. Then ask them what they would be willing to pay for one your size. If the tree is away from the house then a truck that balls up trees and transports them whole could be brought in to remove it. They might need a buyer before they would be willing to pay for your tree.

Gistok

Post Number: 6008
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bibs!

I lost a 15 foot Japanese Maple tree located about 5 feet from the house about 12 years ago. It died from what a nursery fellow said was root strangulation.

I planted another one back then about 15 feet from the house... but I've always wondered if the root strangulation was caused by the proximity to the house/walkway and driveway... or because of my 80 foot Silver Maple, which has roots everywhere.

Bibs

Post Number: 716
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could could root prune the silver maple. Basically, you are cutting the roots coming from the silver maple toward the Japanese maple so the soil doesn't become root bound and then it doesn't absorb moisture. Lots of back breaking work! You have to be very careful not to damage the roots from the Japanese maple.

Jimaz

Post Number: 4164
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a maple with roots growing upward between the trunk and its bark. Except for that it seems healthy. There's a calculus forming over the wound. The Davey Tree expert seemed baffled by it. I don't know what kind of maple it is.

Any advice?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thing I still dont get is HOW CAN YOU STEAL A TREE!?

Jimaz

Post Number: 4166
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Use big machines!

http://www.sustland.umn.edu/implement/treespade.htm

(Message edited by Jimaz on December 30, 2007)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh yeah, but that's not stealing, it's claiming unowned property.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus, did somebody drop this kid on his head? Maybe he's a visual person, so I help out and give a pictography...

First, you get yourself one of these...

chainsaw

Then you do this...

cutting

Then you put the trees in something like this...

truck

This can be very helpful, too...

spade

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope that clears things up

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are avoiding my question. Explain to me, how is it stealing? Who are they stealing it from? Mother Nature isn't a real answer.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you buy a piece of property, they also let you have the trees that are on that property. When someone comes and takes those trees without your permission, they have stolen your trees. I can't believe this concept is that tough to grasp. Anyone else confused?

Jimaz

Post Number: 4167
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, there is the concept of "Property is theft" but I don't know where we would be going with that in this case.

This could turn interesting. :-)

Gistok

Post Number: 6021
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bibs, the city came thru and replace my sidewalk (at my expense), so they cut all of the surface roots from the Silver Maple (located between the sidewalk and the street).

The Japanese Maple is about 12 feet beyond the sidewalk towards the house. I'm hoping that takes care of the problem, although getting those (soon to be dead) Silver Maple surface roots out is back breaking work (not done yet)!

Bibs

Post Number: 717
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Timber Thieves make away with leafy bounty - AP

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/ 30/stealing.trees.ap/index.htm l?section=cnn_latest

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.