Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Oslo « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 425
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody have any news on their reopening? What the hell is taking so long? Wasn't it supposed to open a month or two ago?

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 817
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have ben hosting parties for the past couple of months. The owners post at detroitluv \\edit///

(Message edited by adamjab19 on December 27, 2007)

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 426
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Model D article from October said they would have Sushi again.

http://modeldmedia.com/develop mentnews/oslo11707.aspx

(Message edited by kid dynamite on December 27, 2007)

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 819
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

scratch that.......just keep waiting.

http://famzine.com/blog/?p=197 #more-197

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 445
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kid_dynamite, do you have any idea what it takes to open a restaurant?

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 290
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 5:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Theyre open for parties. Im not sure if they have regular hours of operation. It seems you need to be "in the know" to find when theyre open.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 429
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjlj, yes I do.

I also know that they made a announcement in October that they were about to open. Those were their words.

Take a look at Enoteca. I peered through their windows 2 weeks before it opened, and there was almost nothing in there. Granted, they don't have a full dining menu, but they opened fast.

So, Rjlj. Why don't you enlighten me.....when are they going to open for regular business?

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here’s an article from metro Times dated 12/5/2007

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=12085

The article states Oslo is open, have you stopped by Oslo, say, after 9:00 PM and checked (rattled) the door, checked for a pulse?

It says there is a faint heartbeat in the basement.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the subject of openings, when is the Vinton Building going be finished?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3503
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering about the Vinton as well?

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had a party there Christmas night. I called to ask if they would be serving booze, and they said they would be after midnight. I'm pretty sure the law states it has to be 7 a.m. Dec. 26, but whatever. I wasn't actually at the party.

They have techno parties there about once a week and have for the last month or so. No sushi yet. I hope the sushi and service is better than old Oslo! Also not as overpriced and pretentious. It's hilarious that the best sushi in downtown Detroit can be found only at a creole-style place run by Greeks (Fishbone's).

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh Oslo, it was a real treat, after finishing work, and riding a bus home to downtown, that a late nite establishment was open to serve me the luxury of feeling like i am in the world class city that i'm actually in. If Kwame's trash starts piling so high it blocks the streets or locals continue to decide its necessary to resolve their difference with gunfire, i'd still be happy with a sushi bar!

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 835
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I was going there for the past couple of weeks but got the call they were closed last Thursday due to "lack of people". I think they're still working out their hours. It would suck if they closed down yet again.

Leyland
Username: Leyland

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was planning on going there on a date Friday night but after scouring the net for information, found it was closed on here.

Which reminds me: why do I ever look for Detroit information elsewhere?

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oslo is now open. I had sushi there tonight. They're still getting up to speed--were out of some things on the menu, and it was chilly; they said they were having trouble with a pilot light. However, it was pretty good, it's still a great interior space, and I'll be back there after a bit.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sushi's available in downtown Detroit again? Yay!
Out of curiosity, when did they reopen?

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They said a week and a half ago. The menu also has Thai food, which I believe is the nationality of the new owner; could be a nice change from sushi in cold weather. The bar was open, and I would assume the after-work crowd will find its way back soon.

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Evelyn -- you know, even before Oslo reopened there was still sushi downtown at Fishbone's, Asian Village, Tom's Oyster Bar, etc. Not to take anything away from Oslo, though; I'm very excited to see it open again. My wife and I passed by there yesterday and noticed the glowing SUSHI sign. Can't wait to go back!

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to Oslo for lunch today, Thai food was outstanding as was the sushi. They're open for lunch and dinner during the week, open later on weekends depending on how busy they are.
I would recommend checking it out.

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ryan Elliot is playing sat night.

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whats the story with the phone number? the old numbers are disconnected and the number on ModelD was answered by a confused man.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the new Thai Chef.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 278
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What number did you dial?

1456 WOODWARD,DETROIT,48226

Details from the liquor licence.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 459
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the sushi was damn good tonight.

Melody

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just ate lunch there. The place was totally empty and the thai food was great. Of course, the one time I go there, their sushi chef isn't set to arrive until 2:30 p.m., but the waiter said normally they start at 11 a.m. or noon, sushi and all. I really wanted sushi. The thai food was seriously awesome. Get the shrimp rolls as an app.

I'll go back again to try the sushi. I know we were the only people in there, but the service was great. Although the food tasted awesome, the prices were a little steep for lunch. I'm excited to go back and try the sushi.

I won't hold my bad experiences of the old Oslo against the new place. I also won't be seen in the dance club downstairs (I hate techno).

As of now my vote for best downtown sushi is still Fishbone's.

Rjlj

Post Number: 462
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if the sushi was good, I would not gives props to a Cajun Restaurant that serves sushi. It is like going to a Mexican restaurant for spaghetti.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 208
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Rjlj I should'nt buy Stoffers Mac and Cheese @ Target?

Melody

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fishbone's hired real sushi chefs and they surpass many Detroit area sushi restaurants in taste, freshness, presentation, creativity and price. Plus you can get sushi and non-sushiphiles can eat steak or burgers or salad. I've eaten sushi everywhere -- from the oldest tiki restaurant in the nation to a Mexican airport. Fishbone's has good sushi. And flat screen TVs! ;)

Rjlj

Post Number: 463
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes! I love flat screen TV's. I am sold.

Melody

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See!? ;)

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melody,
I've sampled a fair bit of sushi myself, and I agree that Fishbone's is quite good. Have you ever tried the sushi at Sala Thai in Eastern Market? While their Thai food is not my favorite, I've had some pretty good sushi there. Even the non-traditional rolls (Monster Roll for example) are fresh and good. Not sure about the flat-screens . . .

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjlj: El Barzon at michigan and junction serves great spaghetti.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1960
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Rjlj: El Barzon at michigan and junction serves great spaghetti.

ahahah, it wouldn't be so funny if it wasn't true :-)

Melody

Post Number: 136
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Detroitfats, I agree. Sala Thai in Eastern Market is my go-to for carry out, because Fishbone's needs a credit card on file to make a carry out order over the phone. The sushi is good, but even the carry out service is terrible. Last time I was in there the sushi chef was being out right insubordinate to the manager who had to call the owner to complain that no one was doing their job. I still find Fishbone's more creative, fresher and faster. I also like both places because they have Megatouch games :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.