Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Radio program about Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Famous_jonny_mambo
Username: Famous_jonny_mambo

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey

I grew up in a suburb of Detroit, love Detroit and above all, love the unbelievable music that the area has produced. I have a radio program on WCOM-LP, 103.5,Chapel Hill/Carrboro (all-volunteer, nonprofit.)

I plan on doing a bunch of shows featuring the whole spectrum of music from the Metropolitan Detroit Community, including Windsor, Ann Arbor, and Flint (Bad Axe too for obvious reasons).

What songs do you think are the best performances from "Detroit musicians" (defining "Detroit musicians" in anyway you see fit) and what are the best songs about the city of detroit?

I will be doing my first show sometime in January. I am on from 11-12:00 a.m. on Monday nights, and of course you are invited to listen, http://communityradio.coop/

Thanx

Jon

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motown Soul/Funk, Rock and Techno are musts. Every "musician" somehow is a "Detroit Musician" because they have some type of connection related to Detroit.

Famous_jonny_mambo

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are right, every musician is a Detroit Musician. However, I only have a one-hour show on Monday nights and need to narrow my play list. How about some names and performances?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a tought one. There are so many good performers and names that aren't heard. Jackie Wilson may be one.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 326
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just last night I heard "Some day, Some Way" from marshall Crenshaw. Still love that song. Very catchy tune even today. He's either from Berkley or Ferndale. Thats some nice country-ish rock.
Theres a lot of blues from the area too.Howlin Diablos is a big name.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 524
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Off the top of my head I think you should do a time-line show, starting with Johnny Lee Hooker 1948 recording of "Crawlin King Snake" and his famous "Boggie Chillin" from his rent party days and end up with some White Stripes.

Throw in between "Dancing in the Streets" "Respect" "Stop" anything from Bob Seger, the MC5, the Romantics, Iggy Pop and Ted Nugent and you should be fine.

for a pretty comprehensive overview of Detroit music please refer to the link below from wikipedia ... I read it and learned the Bill Haley was from Detroit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M usic_of_Detroit

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 230
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need the economic credit. Detroit really is music and, music is Detroit. We should be seeing investment from all of the musical personalities and affiliations.

Somerset_girl
Username: Somerset_girl

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool Idea for your radio show! Check out this link to the Metro Times 100 Greatest Detroit Songs ever!

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=12036

Bobzilla
Username: Bobzilla

Post Number: 94
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jon,

Happy New Year from your pal "Bobzilla." I agree with Somerset_girl about checking out the Metro Times' recent list of 100 songs. Lots of great songs on that list.

Famous_jonny_mambo

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everybody,

Bobzilla, I think I know who you really are...
I want to thank-you guys for the leads and I wil definitely check out that list. I have been trying to find an mp3 of the song "So American" by the Mutants, if anyone knows where I can find it (I used to have the 45 which had the song "Piece of Sh--" on the b-side), I would be most appreciative. I'm looking for the studio version of that song. I googled the Mutants, they have a website and it seems like it hasn't been updated in a while. I emailed them once and did not receive a response...What are new bands that have that special Detroit Magic?...Marshall Crenshaw will be definitely be played and I have already played him several times on my show...
I am torn about Ted Nugent. I mean he clearly qualifies as a Detroit Musician but Ted seems to have overexposed himself a bit, I will play some Amboy Dukes...Also wasn't there a band called the Polish Muslims who were great...There was also an r n' b guy named James something who used to put on a wild show, but I can't recall his name...

Thanks

Jon

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 607
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anton James?

Famous_jonny_mambo

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vaguely remember Anton James, what kind of sound did he have?

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 207
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about some Rare Earth? Motowns only white act. They were pretty good.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 608
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anton James, as I heard him, played covers of rockers from the 70s. I think that his claim to fame was a graffiti campaign that put his name on overpasses around town.

Famous_jonny_mambo

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to play some Rare Earth, whatever happened to those guys?

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be sure to play some current bands that are rocking Detroit (many have songs about Detroit as well, I'm sure). The Muggs, the Paybacks, Hard Lessons, Great Lakes Myth Society, Electric Six, Detroit Cobras, Johnny Headband, The Beggars, The Sirens, Freer, Von Bondies, Silent Years... to name a few. Of course you can already hear all those bands on "Detroit Local 101" on Riff2 (WRIF's HD station - www.riff2.com)

Famous_jonny_mambo

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melody,

Does that site have mp3s of these bands?

Thanks,

Jon

Famous_jonny_mambo

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melody,

Does that side have mp3 for these bands? Can you recommend specific songs that you think are great?

Thanks,

JOn

Melody

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it's a high definition station, so we don't broadcast MP3s, only CD quality. If you add Riff2 on MySpace (www.myspace.com/riff2) you will receive our playlists on the bulletin board, and that pretty much tells you what songs by what band we think are ace :-)

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 516
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jon, some of the earliest (pre-Motown) music from Detroit is great. McKinney's Cotton Pickers (perhaps more appropriately known as the band led by Don Redman, who was coerced into using the "cotton pickers" label by white record execs) were an excellent Jazz-Blues band that started in 1926 and stayed in the D until late 1939. They were famous for introducing a "big band" sound to Jazz and Blues. Their collected works can be found on CD. Some of my favorites of theirs: "Shim-Me-Sha-Wabble", "Blues Sure Have Got Me", and "You Ain't Nowhere".

John Lee Hooker is the king of Detroit blues, and his extensive catalog speaks volumes about the city. But some other bluesman from the times, some from outside of the city, sang about Detroit too. Blues legend Blind Blake has a song called "Detroit Bound Blues", where he sings about going to Detroit to get a job from Henry Ford. Tampa Red's song "Detroit Blues" is a great piano song dedicated to Detroit. Tampa Red's particular jingling-and-jangling style of piano playing was common in the Hastings Street / Black Bottom clubs of the 1920s-1940s.

Yusef Lateef is a great jazz saxophonist who was raised in Detroit and attended Wayne State University. He is well known for the album "Eastern Sounds", which was one of the first popular jazz records to incorporate Asian musical motifs.

I got plenty more recommendations, but I gotta run. I'll be back with more.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Sirens are great... the girl who plays guitar is h-o-t!

Dodgemain

Post Number: 209
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rare Earth is still around. http://www.rareearth.com/

Live Ecology was there best stuff.

Famous_jonny_mambo

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank-you these ideas are great!! Please post any others...let me know if you would like to be credited for your suggestions.

Also, if anyone knows anyone who knows anyone who may know how to get an mp3 of "So American" by the Mutants, please let me know.

XXX0000

Jon

Famous_jonny_mambo

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still looking for musicians that did not get a whole lot of publicity but were still great

Dodgemain

Post Number: 210
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in my day there were bands like,Stonebridge,Bittersweet Ally, Almighty Strut, Adreniline and Salem Witchcraft that had some music that was played locally on the radio. That stuff has to be stored somewhere.

Famous_jonny_mambo

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I saw Salem Witchcraft at a place called the Token Lounge

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 947
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.thepolishmuslims.co m/ are my pick. Good campy Rock n' Roll!

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 327
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If youre going to include Windsor, the only group I can think of is the Tea Party. My pick would be "Heaven Falling Down."

Oh yeah, put some Sponge on your playlist.

Famous_jonny_mambo

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Hpgrmin,

Still looking for the Mutants "So American" if anybody knows where to find it?

Thanks

Sfds
Username: Sfds

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Consider checking out the newly released hard cover "Creem: America's only Rock and Roll Magazine". It would be a good research source and backgrounder for your show. Creem's Cass Corridor roots, bring back fond memories for those of "a certain Motor City age". Good Luck

Famous_jonny_mambo

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey SFDS,

I was a regular Creem Reader. I remember reading a Lester Bang's review for "Metallic KO" by Iggy Pop and I was so moved that I sent for the album in the mail (enclosing cash in the envelope) which I think was the only way to get it. I remember it took forever to get the album and it lived up to the hype. I regularly play Iggy Pop on my show.

Thanks,

Jon

Famous_jonny_mambo

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry about the sequential posts, but, I wanted to let anyone know that if you have music that is highly creative and heartfelt, I would ask you kindly to direct me to an mp3 or send a cd to my attention at the station (WCOM, Carrboro, NC)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have So American, but perhaps you should ask here:

http://www.themutants.com/

Famous_jonny_mambo

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't had much luck with my email with those guys. I also want the studio version not the live version (one must be picky about these things when you are a professional such as myself). Could I somehow get a copy of your "So American" to play on my show and I will gladly plug the Mutants? Do you know of other Eastside-like Warren area bands from the 60-70's?

Dinnc
Username: Dinnc

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Famous,

I live in the Triangle and looking forward to listening to the shows. I am not familiar with the station ( I live South of Raleigh in Fuquay-Varina, maybe I don't get it. Is it apart of NC public Radio? Am I able to get a Pod cast? Please post a schedule of the shows when you finalize.

Famous_jonny_mambo

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Dinnc,

The station is an all volunteer station in Carrboro. We run on a shoe-string budget based on donations and some grant monies. It is a low power-fm station, that is community supported, and is not affiliated with NC public radio at all. Here is an URL to information about low power fm http://www.communityradio.coop /CommRadioBBS/forums/thread-vi ew.asp?tid=291&posts=2. Because of copyright laws we can't do podcasts of certain music shows, like mine. But I hope you can listen from 11-12:00 a.m. on Mondays (I'm taking tonight off). Here is the URL for the station, we do have a 24/7 stream. The station has great shows and is beginning to really break. Here is the station's URL http://communityradio.coop/

Are you from Detroit?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 948
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Famous_jonny_mambo, try this link for starters:
http://www.motorcityjams.com/m utants_releases.html
Good luck - Bullet

Jmpatrick
Username: Jmpatrick

Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try: www.motorcityrock.com

Famous_jonny_mambo

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that Motor City Rock website is great!

Unfortunately, the Mutants website does not have the studio version of "So American", if anyone knows where to find a copy of that song please let me know...

I noticed that the Adrian Belew Power Trio are playing at the Magic Bag in Ferndale in March (may be a good time to come in to visit the family).If you have a chance go see them, they are mind blowing good.

Hope everyone has a better life in 2008

Melody

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try www.motorcityrocks.com -- it's kind of like motorcityrock, but with current bands (although they stopped updating about a year ago, the blog is still updated weekly). Motorcityrock is a great site, well organized, but 99.9% of those bands are done for, and if you want a listening audience under 30, be sure to check out motorcityrocks.com

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

salem witchcraft, bsa, the almighty strut, they we playing when i went from my seseme street records to rock music, and that anton james spent alot of $ on spray paint. his name was everywhere.

Famous_jonny_mambo

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the tip Melody I do want to cover the whole spectrum of Detroit music. It will take be an ongoing project....

Didn't Anton James go on to take a position in the graffiti removal business?

Famous_jonny_mambo

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just in case you missed this on the first go round

Thanks

Jon

Vikkadee
Username: Vikkadee

Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Anton James fan here & Detroit Hometown girl. Anton is definitely Detroit Rock & Roll! Does some great covers and original music is lyrical, upbeat & very danceable. Early albums, "Off the Cuff" & "Don't Ask Why". Most like: All Music Guide says: The Bolshoi, Talking Heads, The Mighty Lemon Drops, Boom Crash Opera, Buzzcocks, The Candyskins, Roxy Music, The Psychedelic Furs, Stone Roses, Oasis. I hear some Tom Petty & Stones. Hear he has some projects going on the west coast. Heard Anton's Christmas CD on west coast radio. Love to hear & see more of him! Don't know about any graffiti stuff. Did play some gigs with Marc Falconberry, Detroit Blues guy, in past, and sat in with various bands on both coasts. Anton played gigs with the late Johnny Angelos - Torpedoes, and his son Mitchel. More recent years, Anton appeared at local clubs with new originals and old favorites at I-Rock, Smalls, Corktown Tavern, etc., Festivals, & on Mich.TVNetwork. Does he have a WEB site? Did find these links.

http://profile.myspace.com/ind ex.cfmfuseaction=user.viewprof ile&friendID=48951717

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =U_A167PVU_U

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alice Cooper is from Detroit originally.

The Romantics are a Detroit band.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3419
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg .dll?p=amg&sql=10:gxfpxqlhldse

Vikkadee
Username: Vikkadee

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.myspace.com/antonmu sic

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 219
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sufjan Stevens did an entire Album about our great state. Its really quite beautiful

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5093
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man vs the empire brain building was (not was)

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 547
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If including Ann Arbor, you may want to look into Frank Allison and The Odd Sox. 1986 - 1994 according to a short film that debuted at the Winter Blast on Sunday night. They seemed to have quite a following during their heyday.

www.frankallisonmusic.com

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jonny, link up on the left side of your screen to the Soulful Detroit Site. It's run by Ralph Terrana, who played keyboards in the Rivieras during the early-mid 1960s. The Rivieras later morphed into Rare Earth.

Here's a few more links for you:
http://home.att.net/~s.m.geer/
http://www.motorcitymusicarchi ves.com/
http://www.therationals.com/ (from Ann Arbor I think)
http://www.segerfile.com/seger menu.html

Look for a fairly rare LP entitled Michigan Nuggets, or you may be able to find one that's been copied to CD. It has a lot of mid-1960s rock on it - early Seger, Rationals, Woolies, early MC5, Tim Tam & the Turn-Ons, Underdogs, Amboy Dukes, Unrelated Segments, Shy Guys, Terry Knight and the Pack, etc. There's also a CD entitled The Best of Hideout Records. Some of the music overlaps Nuggets, but it also has The Mushrooms (with a very young Glenn Frey), Suzi Quattro, The Yorkshires - all bands that played at The Hideout.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 659
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still regret having passed on Michigan Nuggets, almost 20 years ago. It is a renowned bootleg made by a legendary bootlegger who was responsible for quite a few amazing titles. He describes the bootleg (and Punch Andrews' outrage) in the highly entertaining book titled Bootleg- A Secret History of the Other Recording History.
Last year I did 2 or 3 Detroit themed radio shows over the course of what I called the 2007 Soul City Spring Tour (I also 'profiled' the soul music of Cleveland, Philadelphia, Rochester, Chicago, New York and Washington D.C.) Anyhow, there are a bunch of c.d.'s out featuring 1960's radio ads from different cities- this has nothing to do with the popular "Cruisin'" series- maybe F.J. Mambo would find they are fun to throw on the radio? One ad I remember from Detroit is for the Monkees at Cobo Hall- with supporting act The Jimi Hendrix Experience. I have another c.d. of radio ads from Ft. Worth in the early seventies, with ads for what to do when you get busted for weed, sponsored by some head shop.
Youtube has some cklw stuff, including one compilation of on-air chatter and song introductions, no video for that clip, though. There is also a record I've mentioned here that nobody seems to know about, of Detroit radio covering 1968. I am curious as to what other cities/ years might have records documenting such occasions?

PS- Now that I think about it, is/ are there any Detroit radio editions of "Cruisin'"?

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1599
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erikto, check out this site:
http://www.vuolovideo.com/
Art sells a 6 CD set on the History of Detroit Radio, as well as other cities' airchecks.

California Aircheck has a CD or two of CKLW airchecks. They have a web site (http://www.californiaaircheck. com ) and also sell on ebay.

These sites have on-line airchecks, some of which are downloadable:
http://www.keener13.com
http://www.thebig8.net
http://www.reelradio.com/index .html

Lastly, former detroit DJ Lee Alan has a web site where he sells CDs of his old programs. I don't have any of those, but Nancy Davis told me that they were the original programs:
http://www.detroitradiolegends .com/

I bought a copied CD of Michigan Nuggets on ebay 3-4 years ago.

(Message edited by jiminnm on February 14, 2008)

Erikto

Post Number: 660
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, thanks, Jiminnm!

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit songs I like: Detroit Michigan by Ronnie Love, Back to Detroit by Nikki Corvette, and my current theme song, Broke In Detroit Again by The Dirtbombs.

Erikto

Post Number: 661
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the garage-rawk tip, does anyone here know the decent (but padded with some obvious filler, in my humble opin ion) 9 cd / lp series called 'Fuzz Flaykes and Shakes'? There are some Michigan bands on there. Too bad they mostly skipped Canadian garage classics like "Nothin'" by the Ugly Ducklings or 1-2-5 by the Haunted, but they did get Mike Jones Group's "Funny Feelin'".

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.