Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox says Illegal immigrants can't get Michigan licenses » Archive through December 28, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike Cox ruled today Illegal immigrants can't get Michigan drivers licenses. He ruled base on national security concerns.
More info in the Free Press,
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071227/NEW S06/71227106

In my Opinion Attorney General Cox made the right ruling today.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 443
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, partisan politics aside, he made the right call.

Silas
Username: Silas

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it’s about time some of our politicians are doing their jobs. Now lets see how long it takes them to start deporting these trespassers from Mexico and elsewhere.
You know those fools at the A.C.L.U. are in full mode over this one.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3234
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ACLU hasn't commented yet but this could be problematic. It would make the Secretary of State responsible for determining who's an illegal immigrant and who isn't. How capable would they be of accurately doing that in a timely manner?

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 9154
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the idiots that let this happen in Michigan in the first place? If it weren't a stupid state law, it would not have had to be reversed later. We are paying these state lawmakers aren't we? We need to vote more carefully.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 517
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If employer can do it so can the S.O.S.

A birth certificate from the U.S. would be a good place to start. Being able to speak english would be another.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3235
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The I-9s employers fill out can easily be satisfied with fake documentation - a Social Security card along with a state driver's license or ID card are all that's required. If the SOS doesn't have more stringent requirements this will be a pointless exercise and many illegals will end up appearing to be legal.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2438
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 4:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A birth certificate from the U.S. would be a good place to start.

Except... Not all citizens and legal aliens have birth certificates from the U.S....

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 251
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Except... Not all citizens and legal aliens have birth certificates from the U.S...."

Then those who DO NOT have a birth certificate and are LEGAL citizens in the U.S. need to produce other forms of identification showing they have BECOME citizens.

I am amazed that the State of Michigan was even issuing driver's licenses to illegal aliens in the first place.

WHAT YOU DRIVE DRIVES AMERICA!

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 503
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just to play "devil's advocate", remember that without a driver's license, illegals can't get insurance either. so if you get into an accident with them, you're on your own.

lilpup is correct that there will be an increase in identity theft and forgery. all part of a much larger problem, and not really a solution that will have any impact. just good press for future gubernatorial/senatorial candidates Cox and Land.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 518
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we are own our own in an accident anyway. Michigans no-fault laws make sure of that.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 252
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine was broadsided by an automobile down in a Southern State. The driver had no I.D. at all, no license, no insurance, and on top of it all, couldn't speak a word of English. He had to call on his "cell phone" to get a relative who could speak English to speak to the police. The police ticketed the illegal. Did they really think he'd show up in court? My friends insurance had to pay for the damages on his car, then the illegal had the nerve to have his English speaking relative call the house and ask for money to fix HIS car.

WHAT YOU DRIVE DRIVES AMERICA!

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 359
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When our country is really interested in controlling immigration employers will face law enforcement of existing laws. This is all political and as noted above will have no impact on illegal immigration. When Cox wants to actually start enforcing existing laws on employing illegals then we will see a change. Don't hold your breath though.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4606
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Being able to speak English would be another".

That would make our own president ineligible for a drivers license then, wouldn't it?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, let's drive immigrants further underground so we'll never figure out where they are ... great reasoning.

Um, if you get to have records on people, isn't that better?

Buyamerican

Post Number: 253
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I received this email entitled "What If I Break Into Your House".

Recently large demonstrations have taken place across the country protesting the fact that Congress is finally addressing the issue of illegal immigration. Certain people are angry that the US might protect its own borders, might make it harder to sneak into this country and, once here, to stay indefinitely. Let me see if I correctly understand the thinking behind these protests.

Let's say I break into your house. Let's say that when you discover
me in your house, you insist that I leave. But I say, "I've made all the beds and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors; I've done all the things you don't like to do. I'm hard-working and honest (except for when I broke into your house).

According to the protesters, not only must you let me stay, you must
add me to your family's insurance plan, educate my kids, and provide
other benefits to me and to my family (my husband will do your yard work because he too is hard-working and honest, except for that breaking in part).

If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my right to be here.

It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do,
and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm hard-working and honest, um, except for well, you know.

And what a deal it is for me!! I live in your house, contributing
only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can
do about it without being accused of selfishness, prejudice and being an anti-housebreaker. Oh yeah, and I want you to learn my language so you can communicate with me

Why can't people see how ridiculous this is?! Only in America!

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are ridiculous...

Buyamerican

Post Number: 254
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's ridiculous is that the United States allows illegals to enter this country without proper papers. When they are caught, a little slap on the wrist seems to be the only penalty paid.

Have you ever tried to enter a different country without papers, passport, birth certificate, valid driver's license? Try to enter illegally, see what happens to you.

There is a ring of truth in the scenario that was emailed to probably everyone who has an email address in the last year; maybe you don't want to face the facts.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1710
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh boo freakin' hoo. More than a generation ago, people came here whenever they wanted. Maybe we should have deported your ancestors so you wouldn't have to bear this horrible indignity.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6004
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of you folks need to think more before you post! Let me break this down...

1) U.S. Born Citizens.
2) Foreign Born Naturalized U.S. Citizens.
3) Resident Aliens.
4) Illegal Aliens.

Now numbers 1-3 are here legally, #4 are illegals. How the hell do you get a US Birth Certificate out of numbers 2 and 3? You don't.

#1 may have to provide proof of citizenship (just because your born in the USA, doesn't automatically mean you're still a US citizen). #2 may have to provide proof of citizenship, and #3 may have to provide a Green Card.

Let's see... I just got my license renewed in 2007, so I won't have to renew it until 2011. So that gives a LOT of illegals a LONG time to have a valid drivers license before they renew...

(Message edited by Gistok on December 28, 2007)

Buyamerican

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find that your username, Detroit"nerd" is a very appropriate one, especially after reading your posts.

Most of my ancestors were originally from this country. The others that came from different countries came over here legally. Some of my ancestors couldn't speak a word of English and they certainly didn't demand that this country learn theirs to accomodate them. They worked hard, learned the language and demanded that their children learn English...this is the country they chose to live in, they respected it, they served it well during four wars.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4222
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm basically with Dnerd, and want extremely liberal immigration laws, but until that time, why give a drivers' license to someone who can be identified as having broke the laws? This seems like a no brainer.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1712
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we all break laws. And no matter how many laws we break, we don't become "illegal" people. We become lawbreakers.

Since it's the responsibility of society to see to it that laws aren't broken, it's incumbent upon us to produce laws that are easy to obey. That's why it should be lawful for people who must drive here to do so legally.

From a more practical standpoint, would you rather have people here actively producing a paper trail, cooperating with authorities by exchanging information, and taking all lawful precautions as prescribed by law? Or would you rather have them driving their cars illegally too? I doubt any of us would like to have a fender-bender with an unregistered, unlicensed and uninsured driver, but that's what these tough-talking requirements would do.

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buy American, illegal immigration is frustrating, but I'm more inclined to agree with Detroit Nerd.

The only real problem I see with illegal immigrants today is that they are not on the books. They don't pay taxes or have auto insurance. For now, they are only here as the help so why should they learn English, or try to fit in? Our nations leaders have basically told us to get used to them, so why fight it.

At the same time we need more southern border security. Just because Mexicans share a huge border with us doesn't mean they should get easier access than the rest of the developing world. Build the double walls, hire more guards, punish employers who hire illegals, and make Mexican's aware that they can come here to work legally as long as they play by the rules.

We can set the terms so that their kids learn English, not Spanish, as their primary language. We can help them fit into the American Fabric without taking away their traditions.

This is a huge country (with hundreds of thousands of homes for sale) so why not bring in a new generation and ask them to be "upward mobility oriented" (as my Eastern European and Scandanavian relatives were allowed 100 over years ago). They stepped off the boat and were accepted, not sent on the next boat back..

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 794
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Solution for illegals, Solved with army surplus parachutes. Strap one on them, fly them back, boot them out.

Then invoice the Mexican government for the parachutes and the flight. Simple as that.

They won't be so quick to trespass on US soil again. I have no problem with them coming here but do so legally. All of us must abide by the law, they should as well.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1713
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish we could make our pols obey international law. If they don't, we should adopt Sstashmoo's policy, sans chutes...

Buyamerican

Post Number: 256
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Well, we all break laws. And no matter how many laws we break, we don't become "illegal" people. We become lawbreakers."

We do??? Maybe you do, but I don't. These persons are not in this country legally. What is there in that sentence that you don't understand? Do you seriously think that an illegal who doesn't want the U.S. to know will go to the SOS and apply for a driver's license, giving them CORRECT information about themselves? I don't think so.

There is no country in the world where an American can just walk in and stay. (If there is, please let me know). You need a passport or some identification before you are allowed to stay. Why should the U.S. allow illegals to remain here?

Buyamerican

Post Number: 257
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rob_in_warren, if it were as simple as that I wouldn't be so adamant against illegals. They don't learn English, they expect the U.S. to give them a drivers test in Spanish. I know that the State of Tennessee is one that gives Spanish and English tests.
I resent that I have to push #1 for English when I call my bank, local store, doctors office, etc. I resent that my taxes go for free medical care while my elderly grandparents are cutting pills in half to afford medications. I resent the fact that when a child here in the U.S. needs an operation to survive, a fundraiser has to scrape up enough money to pay for the operation. It goes deeper and deeper and the problem needs to be fixed by getting them all out of our country. My thoughts today is charity begins at home with American citizens, not anywhere else.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1714
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no such thing as an illegal person.

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BuyAmerican,

I agree with you on a single language country. Speaking English does not make someone a less of a Mexican, it makes them more of an American. But that must be a "minor" concession as part of immigration reform. If the sticking point of legalization is we don't offer spanish classes in schools they'll probably buckle.

On health care and those issues, we can only be helped by making illegals pay taxes. Deeper and deeper our only problem is that we do not make them pay their fair share.

And, did your "ancestors" get permission from the U.S. to come to America before boarding a boat? What is different about a Mexican coming here, doing the right thing by going to the SOS, or government, and trying to naturalize.

We have to extend them rights to drive, pay taxes, and be on the books before we can ask them to be productive members of American society. Your ancestors were undoubtably provided the necessary rights to start a new life in America.

Again, there is plenty of room here, and we as citizens can dictate the rules going forward. Amnesty if you're here, and strict punishments for those illegals in the future.