Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Any of you miss the sun as much as I do?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get to leave in a week in a half to a much more sunnier place, but this cloudiness is ridiculous. I think the only day I've seen the sun this week is Wednesday. I had planned to take some pictures and I was waiting for a sunny day, but I got sick. Bummer

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4237
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad it doesn't affect me too much, but you're right, the sun is extremely hard to come by, and this has been a stormier than normal winter. The next couple weeks are expected to be more of the same. A typical winter has more days with a brisk NW flow that normally provides occasional sun mixed with occasional snow showers. This winter has had barely any of that, with more moist, cloudy air.

I see that it is supposed to be sunny Thursday and Friday.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6018
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I post this every winter on this forum...

Pick a rare sunny day and go down to the Belle Isle Conservatory...

The humid air will open your sinuses... the lush tropical greenery will calm your senses... and the sunlight bathing your skin thru the glass will reinvigorate you, and remove some of that depression.

A good way to get rid of some of those winter doldrums, and recharge your batteries until spring! :-)

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 200
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I plan on leaving Michigan solely because of this weather! Uck! I hate it!

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 121
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's funny--I grew up in Toledo and never noticed the lack of sun. Then I lived in Chicago, California, and Tennessee, then moved to Michigan. I hated the lack of sun at first, but in about five years I began to expect that blanket of clouds at the beginning of November and accept, even welcome, the seasonal absence of the sun.

We're the third-cloudiest state in the U.S., I believe. I know Maine, Washington, and Alaska were the others at the top, but I can't remember the order.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3228
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the sun briefly today around 2:30.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What can ya do? First, we'll have dusting of snow tonight, then we have possible Advisory type snow for New Years eve from an Alberta Clipper (4 inches or more) although it will be on the low end at the most, then more snow on New Years (additional up to 2 inches). What can ya do? If you don't like it, get the hell out! Just ask Ray1936.

I was hearing myths of 50s and 60s by late next week. Of course, this isn't unusual. Remember back in March earlier this year, we had the freak 80 degree days and severe weather (nasty hail cores), then after that a sudden freeze with nasty lake effect snow?

Detmi7mile

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha I will be moving anyways probably because of job hunting. I think I'll stay in the Virginia Beach Area after May. But I think will check out the Belle Conservatory this week.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

January is always sunnier than November or December...plus, now that we've turned the corner the days are getting longer again -- my favorite six months of the year.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2491
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, I felt so sorry for y'all that I just ran outside with my camera to catch the last rays here in Vegas suburbia......enjoy......

sunset in nevada

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2244
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i hate this time of year when the sky and the pavement are the same color.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what's the sun?
happy new year folks

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4163
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After 25 years baking in the Phoenix sun I still prefer the grave, gray skies of Detroit. It's just a case of the grass being greener on the other side of the fence. :-)

On average, what's the coldest day of the year in Detroit? From one data source I'd guess about January 21st, a good day for a celebration!

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3470
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God... so much whining. Waah, waaah, waaaaah. Sun is overrated. When I lived in Nevada I got so much of it, that I got sick of it. Always have to squint when the sun's blaring in your face, anyway... and no, I don't want to have to wear sunglasses all the time either.

The only thing wrong with winters here lately (past 10-15 years) is that they've gotten warmer, slushier, and more rainy. Give me more bona fide SNOW.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 779
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury, I'm so with you.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 122
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the coldest day is five weeks after the solstice--the last week in January.

Elviswithteeth
Username: Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty sunny here in Henderson Nevada as well!

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 212
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although the sun holds the solar system together, other than that I have no use for it. I agree, overrated.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Models are saying 5 inches for METRO DETROIT now tomorrow night.

The clouds are overrated. Sun is good every now and then. It provides the body with energy. Why do you think Detroiters are so crabby during the winter?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 748
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sun......Sun......hmmmmmmm doesnt ring a bell what the hell is a Sun?

Detmi7mile

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay more clouds! I'm going to go watch a youtube video of barbados now.

Artistic
Username: Artistic

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in Boca...its 78 right now , the air is on, the sun is up. I'm coming home to gray sky's and getting outta here. Its boring, there is no culture and the people are rude.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3230
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just outside and I saw it again. You guys just aren't paying attention.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 945
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today is an absolutely beautiful day

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tonight and Tuesday will be just picture perfect. I can't wait!

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do miss making snow angels... but I'm liking the sunny skies of Albuquerque over the steely gray sky of Detroit.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dropped my mom off at Metro on Wednesday and the drive from the bridge to Metro was a crazy foggy mess. However, when I returned across the river it was sunny blue skies. I wonder if God just likes Canada better? :-)

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 200
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although we get plenty of gray days, how about those days after a snowstorm when it IS sunny? From dull gray to bright white. What a contrast.
The best are when the snow hangs on the trees.

P.S. Have a blessed, healthy, and prosperous New Year!

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 754
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Evelyn what can you tell me about Albuquerque I always was interested by this sunbelt town and would consider it if I moved to the southwest. Ever see Rio Rancho and there endless miles of planned roads with no houses, though it is growing quite fast now. Is it sprawlville or is it nice out there?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2495
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've driven through Albuquerque dozens and dozens of times. The scenery is beautiful. Since they re-built the freeway system there (I-40 and I-25), the overpasses must be classed as works of art. They really turned what are usually eyesores into things of beauty.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 810
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That whole southwest area just looks barren and desolate. I gotta have trees, grass, leaves, 4 seasons and water, lots of water.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6034
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well enjoy the sun today (Wednesday) while it lasts...

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Gistok. I was JUST about to come on here and say that. You all need to take his word for it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.