Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Places to do a wedding reception downtown... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Boynamedsue
Username: Boynamedsue

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking for ideas for a place to do a wedding reception downtown... I've heard of the Guardian building lobby. Also thought about the Book Caddilac, but not sure they will be ready by then. The wedding will be in September or October this year. Where else can you do a unique reception downtown??? Thanks.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2686
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has been some previous discussion on this topic. Hopefully this will contain some useful info:

Detroit wedding locations
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/107211/111112.html

There is another thread called Getting Married in the D but the links are not working at this time.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to get hitched in the Guardian lobby (anybody up for it?). But I noticed the earlier thread didn't mention the Omni River Place hotel, which I'd think would be pretty nice right down there by the river. On a nice September night people could filter out to the Riverwalk. Who knows, maybe you could charter a little boat to give people rides.

http://www.omnihotels.com/Find AHotel/DetroitRiverPlace/Weddi ngsAndBanquets.aspx

Kjwick
Username: Kjwick

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check out 32nd floor of guardian bld. not as elaborate as lobby, but still extremely nice with an incredible view.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Scottish Rites temple inside Masonic ...is a nice one.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 780
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'd love to get hitched in the Guardian lobby (anybody up for it?).

How old are you and how much money do you have? Just kidding :-)

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 286
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were very pleased with the Rattlesnake Club. As I remember, the price wasn't too bad as long as everyone was seated before the 5 pm dinner rush.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BoySue,
Check out what Forbes (Town Pump, Centaur, etc). has done with the Colony Club on Park Avenue (Caddy corner to the Pump):

article:
http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/colonyclub11207.a spx

Colony Club Web Site:
http://www.colonyclubdetroit.c om

Congratulations and Good Luck!

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 354
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Getting married in the Guardian Building lobby and having the reception there is cheaper then you think. My wife and I couldn't have found a better place in 2007.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Willy O'Brien had his in Lafayette or American Coney Island a few years back

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The MGM Grand's ballrooms are nice, and flexible. www.mgmgranddetroit.com -- I think MotorCity is supposed to have reception areas as well. I like the Fishbone's in Greektown private room, although it's small. The Detroit Yacht Club has great rooms too, although not quite downtown.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 755
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well how "cheap" is the Guardian then?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2175
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the eighth floor of the Atheneum Hotel (technically above Fishbones) there is a really nice large ballroom with views in essentially every direction of downtown.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 952
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be cool to have it at the Book Cad, but I wouldnt at this point. Even though its slated to be open in Oct, there could be delays.
The Roostertail would be a great choice.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3512
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gem/Century do a bunch of weddings

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 673
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know its not downtown but my aunt and uncle got married at Marygrove and I must say it was really nice and pretty affordable.

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanoutdoors, Marygrove is REALLY nice. And not as expensive as you might think.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 862
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended a wedding reception in the wintergarden at thr Ren Cen last year. If you can afford it, I would highly recommend it!

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 674
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its only 550 for the Alumni Hall that seats 300.

http://www.marygrove.edu/banqu et/catering_book.pdf

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously this stretches the idea of downtown, but the Detroit Yacht Club is a beautiful venue for a wedding, and you get fantastic skyline views. But don't expect everything to be perfect: The food was a bit disappointing and the service was poor. As a former employee, I have to say the place gives unions a bad rap. And I'm not a union hater.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always thought that the Rosa Parks transit center, once completed, would make a beautiful venue for a wedding or reception.

Picture the graceful and beautiful canopies overhead. It could be an amazing landmark, Detroit's mini version of the Sydney Opera House.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second the Transit Center idea. You could get the homeless to pull your guests around downtown after in a rickshaw :}

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How old are you and how much money do you have? Just kidding :-)

To quote two country songs in the same reply, old enough to know better but still too young to care, and there's too much month at the end of the money!

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two Summers ago I was lucky enough to be invited to a Wedding Reception at the Detroit Club. It was a very cool venue for a reception.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6041
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in 1986 I stood up in a wedding at the Savoyard Club on the 26th floor of the Buhl Building. It was the building owners niece.

It had floor-to-ceiling windows and offered spectacular views of downtown, the river, and the Hoe Down that was going on that weekend at Hart Plaza.

Sadly, the Savoyard Club is closed today, but it made for a magnificent wedding location.

Mrsprunk
Username: Mrsprunk

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i had my wedding in the ballroom of the DYC in april 2005. it was an incredible experience, reasonably priced, and the staff is amazing. let me know if you have any questions!

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 580
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Athletic Club-Amazing

Marcnbyr
Username: Marcnbyr

Post Number: 685
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Gem/Century is a place we looked into and were really wanting (especially the theater upstairs for our ceremony) but ultimately it was too much for us, but I would certainly recommend at least checking it out.

Another place that was too expensive to even consider (for us), but there were a few spots that looked nice at Orchestra Hall/The Max.

On the thread linked above, some people mention the Grosse Pointe War Memorial: nice location, but they don't have good food. If you are able to bring in an outside caterer there I would recommend it.

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm getting next summer in Detroit but I couldn't find any place reasonable enough for a reception near the core. We're doing the ceremony at the butterfly gardens at the Zoo and then heading out towards Plymouth for the reception.

Kjwick
Username: Kjwick

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stecks77,
did you get married on June 30th?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.