Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Quicken wants your Opinion on Yahoo Answers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 527
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Yahoo Answers Quicken is asking if they should build on either the Statler or the old Hudson site.

http://answers.yahoo.com/quest ion/index;_ylt=AgXCqdgPCS.W2gwf15rFSGJQ 7hR.;_ylv=3?qid=20080103073207 AAnYeDI

----

EDIT: for some reason the link isn't working, but on yahoo they have an "Answer" forum where folks ask and answer questions on a number of topics. One of those topics is under: Travel, United States, Detroit.

(Message edited by gnome on January 03, 2008)

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://tinyurl.com/37or4s

Gnome

Post Number: 528
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

the voting is in favor of Quicken building on the Statler site.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4714
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i think that quicken should build on both sights. the statler site could use it most cause the could create development in the united artist building and help developmenton bagely street. the hudsonssite would also be good because that would help woodward come back.

All of 24 votes, so far. Of which, the above is typical. Due to the extreme ig'nerntz of its poster, it's obvious he/she/it dropped out of DPS.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goodness, my ten year old writes better than that. That's awful. I can't decide whether to go read them, or whether to avoid that because I don't have any aspirin where I am right now.

By the way LY I have taught graduates (as opposed to dropouts) of DPS and other local districts whose writing is not much better than that. The inability to write a coherent English sentence does not appear to be an impediment to getting a high school diploma. The young adults of whom I speak wouldn't be able to tell you what the previous sentence means, either. Sad but true.

Gnome

Post Number: 529
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernois-

A typical comment? Not at all, some of the comments are quite thoughtful and well reasoned. Why are you taking this opportunity to slam DPS when the whole point is that Quicken is officially asking the public's opinion on where they should build their HQ.

Needlessly, negative.

This is an opportunity to voice your opinion, I suggest you make the most of it and leave DPS slamming for another thread.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4715
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome: Why are you shamelessly hustling for Quicken Loans? Just why would QL ask some functionally illiterate Yahoos about where they should locate?

True, that cherry-picked post was not indicative of the median of those two dozen posters, but it wasn't far off. However, stupid threads such as the one you started are better served with humor because NOBODY at QL really authorized that poll, I reckon.

BTW, I'm warming up my printer right now--just in case you need a deed for a Detroit ruin of your own.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with that - Quicken is going to ask the public to help them with a real estate decision? And not announce, through the media, that they were doing so? Not likely. Occam's Razor tells me that some random member of the public started it, just as a slightly deceptive way of having a blog on the subject. Using a thread here would have done the same thing without the deception.

Very useful tool, Occam's Razor. It consistently tells me, for instance, when my children are lying to me. Politicians do not seem to know of its existence, which is a shame.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4716
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It does link to QL's Web site. So does the defunct real-estate "know-it-all" weekend show on WJR or the defunct RF, David Hall's "own" Web site, etc.

It's comparable to those annoying popups purporting to poll whether one prefers Coke over Pepsi, etc. All those do is prey on those unsophisticated enough to reply with more ads. As if they really tally any of those polls.

And some really dumb even allow some Web sites to install Registry cleaners on their systems whereby they hijack it and one has to pay to get it removed. I heard that some agent for McAfee was resorting to that tactic when its free software won't disappear from being on top of every window for a minute or so every so often--asking for a paid subscription for their free "security" software. And on and on...

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on January 03, 2008)

Professorscott

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not an agent for McAfee, which is a very reliable company. These are themselves viruses or Trojans, the most recent of which is from a company called virprotect.com. They are completely bogus organizations, which try to trick you into buying "antivirus" software which in most cases is completely useless.

There have been quite a few of these over the past few years, none associated with any reliable computer security firm such as McAfee or Symantec.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4717
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, that one company took McAfee's software as bait and then installed the hijacked version of it. It matters little whether McAfee knew about it or not. It probably really didn't use any McAfee software other than installing some fake splash screens, etc.

Its presence was phoned in on some talk show last month.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 832
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lean towards LY.
This decision will be made by a few people/directors who have done extensive research analysis on cost benefits and long term bottom line. Not by some poll by people online who have a certain interest or thought on what would be good for Detroit.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4718
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup! Whenever one really needs to know sumthin', just ask some ignorant Yahoos...

Professorscott

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, LY, I am frequently distressed by otherwise well-read and intelligent people who claim some outlandish thing is true because they saw it online. It amazes me that people don't understand (or care) how much unreliable crap gets posted. Even some very well-known news organizations have picked up unverifiable crap from web sites and repeated it as news.

Anything you read on line should be taken with a grain of salt, just like anything you overhear at the barber shop. May be true, may not be true.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4719
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another ploy that worked for decades was/is "As seen on TV!" Then it used that TV Guide type of logo...

AS SEEN ON TV!

Gotta get that Mach 20 razor. Maybe it shaves as well as Occam's?

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on January 03, 2008)

Eboyer
Username: Eboyer

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That post is sanctioned by Quicken Loans. Livernoisyard and Professorscott, you are both wrong.

Quicken Loans is a preferred knowledge partner on Yahoo! Answers and they post daily.

Lefty2

Post Number: 841
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, so this is how large corporations make big decisions. who would have thought!

Professorscott

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eboyer, forgive my skepticism, but how would you or I or anyone know that the question posed on Yahoo Answers has the sanction of Quicken Loans? It would help me, in general, to know when these things are valid and when they are bogus.

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just look around a bit... If you click on the user link it takes you to the Quicken Loans Yahoo Answers page where it's quite clear they have a corporate partnership with Yahoo. They specialize in answering people's mortgage questions. Still, it's a bit strange they'd seek out public opinion on this in such a strange forum.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6051
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the DetroitYes forumers comments about incorporating the UA Building and theater (Quicken Center for the Arts) into a Statler HQ site... :-)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4721
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Just look around a bit... If you click on the user link it takes you to the Quicken Loans Yahoo Answers page where it's quite clear they have a corporate partnership with Yahoo. They specialize in answering people's mortgage questions. Still, it's a bit strange they'd seek out public opinion on this in such a strange forum.

Just as I said...
quote:

It does link to QL's Web site. So does the defunct real-estate "know-it-all" weekend show on WJR, the defunct Rock Financial Web site, David Hall's "own" Web site, etc.

Quicken Loans even answers some of the Ripoff Report rebuttals.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 5:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My answer, if anyone cares:
While I'd love to see the girder farm on Woodward developed, I'd lean toward the Statler site. However, I would NOT approve of more buildings being demolished to accommodate parking, etc. If the Quicken HQ can be built on the Statler site and use the old Hotel Tuller site for parking, I think it would help rejuvenate Grand Circus much as Compuware did to Campus Martius. Hopefully it would spur redevelopment of the David Whitney and United Artist buildings, as well. But again, NO MORE DEMOLITION.
The Hudson's site might spur some redevelopment on Woodward and rid Detroit of the ridiculous girder farm, but I think for the city's revival, it's important to "spread the wealth," as it were.
I'm also intrigued by talk of redeveloping the Lafayette Building, but I don't think it would do the city as much good as the other two sites.

Eboyer
Username: Eboyer

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professorscott, I work there.

Quicken Loans recently received a Word of Mouth Marketing Award (Wommy) for their work on Yahoo! Answers.

Gnome

Post Number: 530
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To all those who question Quicken's motives should go to the Quicken link and pose their query directly to Quicken.

To waste your brain cells, and digital ink, here serves little purpose.

Eboyer seems to be the only one here with true insight.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4393
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

However, stupid threads such as the one you started...

Top poster on thread:
Livernoisyard with 7.

Gnome

Post Number: 531
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quicken has supplied information that directly answers the questions posed by Livernoisyard and ProfessorScot.

quote:

42 minutes ago

Hey everybody! There has been some concern about the validity of this question and our profile. I really do work at Quicken Loans and Quicken Loans is an official knowledge partner with Y! Answers.

I intend to share this information with the people who are making decisions about the move downtown. No, this is not an official poll, but it's not a publicity stunt either. I answer real estate & mortgage questions daily on Y! Answers and thought this a great forum to get some opinions from Detroiters who love their city.

Keep answering - we really appreciate the input. I will make sure that your answers are considered by those who will make the ultimate location decision.

Thanks!
Home Loan Guru

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4722
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Quicken has supplied information that directly answers the questions posed by Livernoisyard and ProfessorScot.

Apparently, there seems to be at least one person who doesn't get it.

It matters not that the "poll" was instigated by QL or anybody selling for them. The point that Scott and I make is that it's not really a poll because nobody anywhere would take any such "poll" seriously. Oops! Misspoke there. Strike out nobody and substitute only a very few.

And I'm nowhere implying that QL is being dishonest about purporting to have a "poll" either. But, its real purposes lie in the area of public relations, putting out its nameplate, and, possibly, used as a source of leads in a very competitive industry.

Just as Scott and I said before (I suppose he wouldn't mind my using him as a reference here), there are gullible folk out there and misconstrue things, and some are much more so than others.

And my DY thread-jacking (or interjection of humor or whatnot) here doesn't matter either because way over 99% at DY know what these PR or sales gimmicks are all about and didn't bite. IOW, nobody cares about the phony poll. Besides, it's useless on account of the extreme nonrandomness of the sample and its minuscule, tiny sample population.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 964
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wish they would hire David Hall back. I need a fix from the radio, my days havent been the same since he was gone.

Gnome

Post Number: 533
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY-

Humor is best left to those with a sense of humor.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 432
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, I should of put you (Gistok) as a source.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is Y/A's opinion on DYes:

"The answer by DOWNTOWN RESIDENT has altered my opinion. I was previously in favor of the 1001 Woodward Building, but DR lays out an excellent argument for building on the old HUDSON sight.

Dealing with the guy who controls the Statler property, or the Olympia folks, will be fraught with more headaches and legal tangles.

Oh yeah, I checked out that DetroitYes forum. Seems you have some real Quicken haters over there. Some guy named "Livernoisyard" thinks this question is just a yank job.

Good luck with your move.

Go Lions!"

Lefty2

Post Number: 845
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say anywhere they move is a good move.
The more the merrier.

Gnome

Post Number: 541
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems the Quicken folks at Yahoo Answers have decided that the old Hudson's site is the prefered location for their HQ.

http://tinyurl.com/37or4s

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Dealing with the guy who controls the Statler property, or the Olympia folks, will be fraught with more headaches and legal tangles."

Not Tony? Tony would never stand in the way. To prove it, he's not even touching that old burned out building that sits there now. I get the feeling 3rdworldcity wouldn't stand in the way either, for that matter.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6108
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY... did it ever occur to you that many folks (like myself) didn't reply to that survey because we didn't want to "register" (a prerequisite).

If the survey didn't involve a registration first, a lot more forumers would have put in their 2 cents worth.

While not many of the "people in power" read this forum... a LOT of folks who work directly under them DO read it!

You would be surprised at the roster of "well placed" lurkers here! (City government, Wayne & Oakland County government, media celebrities, planners, etc).

And with the shitty reception that folks like Tony Pieroni and Steve Wilson get from some of our half-baked posters, it's no wonder that most prefer anonymity.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2685
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or perhaps the rampant idiocy and hubris makes joining the "club" less appealing.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok wrote:
quote:

And with the shitty reception that folks like Tony Pieroni and Steve Wilson get from some of our half-baked posters, it's no wonder that most prefer anonymity.

Those guys deserve what they get.

Steve Wilson, among other things, did a half-assed and incorrect story on a loan that Freman Hendrix's golf venture received from Comerica and was called-out here for the bullshit. Plus, the guy makes his living off of being controversial. If people didn't jump in his shit he wouldn't know what to do.

Tony P's (in)actions speak for themselves, not to mention the fact that many believe he also participates regularly under another name where he makes his true views about the city known.

I don't see how either of them could expect to be treated any differently. If anything, they get off too easily when they step into the fray here.

As far as anonymity, I think most here prefer it, otherwise we'd all be posting under our real names.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.