Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Need help (desperately) on Catholic school issue. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

catholic school

I am trying to figure out who this is (I do know where - do you?) and what is happening on this CP opus tacked onto a RC school. Why does it say "LABOR?" What else does it say? What is ALL the symbolic content. Put that good Catholic education to work. And no, jjaba, you do not have to be Catholic to offer an opinion.

Carptrash

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a better (it's a FAITH thing) scan. eeeeeeeek

another catholic school scam

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ora et Labora" is Latin for "pray and work" and is the motto of St. Benedict.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Praesentia muniamur = presence tributes

If it is Benedict, he was the twin of St. Scholastica, and could be associated with her. She is sometimes shown with a cross and dove.

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a stone version of a medal of St. Benedict. I can think of two Detroit area possibilities. St. Benedict Parish in Highland Park is one - a parish plant that I'm familiar with, but I don't remember this.

The second is St. Scholastica Parish in NW Detroit, organized and run by Sylvestrine Benedictines. It could be on one of their early school buildings. The church proper is a 1950s honker.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1961
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3539
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^What Mccarch said; it's the medal of St Benedict with the Latin inscription (starting at the bottom left, going clockwise) translated: "May we at our death be fortified by his presence" or words to that effect.

I assume that the book he holds is the book of rules for his order and not the bible. The bird is probably not a dove but the crow or raven attributed to saving his life. It looks as if the raven sits on the cracked chalice, both symbols from events in the life of St. Benedict.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3540
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also see the raven and cracked chalice beneath the "ET" in "ORA ET LABORA".

Carptrash

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks a million. This is everything (and more) that I needed to know. The piece is from St Scholastica School (Diedl & Diehl - 1945) located at 17351 Southfield which is pretty much ON the Southfield. I am seriously back at Shadowing Parducci and there will be more questions, I'm sure. But my Latin is weak - not having been used in over 73 incarnations - and my understanding of Catholic symbolism is okay, but I need a place to start. eek

Carptrash

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parducci's well used copy (just showing off) of Webber's "Church Symbolism" (1927) includes in St. Benedict's attributes "a snake emerging from a loaf of bread" - which is, I think, what is going on in the bottom, left, as you face it. eek

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.