Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Dumb homeless/etiquette dilemma « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, so last night on my way out of the office I saw someone huddled under a blanket sleeping on the sidewalk. It must've been about 10 degrees out and windy. I felt so bad for him/her that I wished I had another blanket to offer. I saw that I did have a comfy fleece pillow in my car, so I tucked an orange into it and put it by his/her head, thinking they'd wake up and appreciate it.
I told my husband about this and he was kind of pissed at first because his mom had made that pillow a few years ago (oops.) But he understood, and figured she wouldn't be offended.
Fast forward to this morning. The dude's gone and so is the orange, but the pillow's still sitting right where I left it. Do I reclaim it, take it home and run it through a hot wash cycle?
I don't dare ask anyone at the office, because they're the kind of people who use hand sanitizer after touching a doorknob, and they'd be horrified.
Second question: Doesn't this whole scenario seem ridiculous enough for a "Seinfeld" episode?

Oh yeah, and happy new year!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1744
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We can't take that pillow back. It's been in the bathroom."

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2511
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some will say yes; some will say no; I'll just say you're a very good person.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd take the pillow back and wash it. While there is nothing wrong with cleanliness, I could not possibly care less what my coworkers think.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 532
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, wash it, and put in hubby's car. Then he'll always carry a reminder of his mom, your kindness and the homeless problem in Detroit.

Kind of like wearing a POW/MIA bracelet.

This time don't tell him anything. Plead ignorance and just let him deal with the mystery.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and yes I think you could hang a Seinfeld episode around it. You would probably need a strong entwined subplot, though

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sure, wash it, and put in hubby's car. Then he'll always carry a reminder of his mom, your kindness and the homeless problem in Detroit."

I agree. (Wash it twice, though.) That homeless person probably didn't have the strength or means to carry around a pillow.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agree, take it and wash it. It will be fine.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take it back and wash it. Kudos to you.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 965
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice deed Diehard.
I would get the pillow back.
For this to be a good Seinfeld, something funny must happen when you go to get it.

Diehard

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys.
I just went out there, and, in full view of all of downtown and the people I work with, picked up a pillow off a dirty sidewalk. And I don't care what they think. :-)

Diehard

Post Number: 234
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, and there's still time for it to turn "Seinfeld." What if the homeless guy sees it in my car and steals it back? Or my coworkers ambush me and spray me with Lysol?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4723
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why should that pillow be any different than one at any hotel/motel? Just wash it--pretend you're a housekeeper at some motel...

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 598
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wash and keep...1 blanket in yesterdays weahter...man that had to be insane.
When you stop and think about it, being homeless in Michigan (very cold winters) has to be tough...

Why dont homeless people make it their life mission to get to a warm state?

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 966
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can see the headlines in the paper or on Fox with your picture, "Office worker steals from homeless man"

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 3446
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am proud of you.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3580
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool, Diehard.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 192
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you see a guy downtown wearing a puffy shirt and a rug, eating a muffin stump while pulling a rickshaw with tupperware in it offer it to him.

Seinfeld sure made fun of the homeless.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4404
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When you stop and think about it, being homeless in Michigan (very cold winters) has to be tough...

Why dont homeless people make it their life mission to get to a warm state?"

I've wondered that myself. If you have nothing else to do, why not just start walking? Is boxcar hopping still possible in this day and age?

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Believe me, they do!! Along about September southern towns get a huge influx of homeless. You see them on all the interstates hitchhiking to the warmer climates and wandering in off of the interstate toward downtown. Along about April and May they head back from where they came.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3551
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bless you, Diehard, very nice act on your part

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diehard....I agree with the others, good for you!!

Diehard

Post Number: 236
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why thanks everyone. I was expecting more "OMG don't touch that, you'll get cooties!" responses, but y'all are feeling me. Good to know I'm not crazy after all.
Seinfeld, on the other hand, was an over-the-top germ freak, wasn't he?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6931
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for you Diehard.

It is more blessed to give than to receive. God will open the windows of heaven for you and pour out a blessing.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good deed, Diehard.

Wash it in hot water, and if anyone says boo, point out that our obsession with cleanliness has only made bacteria stronger, and thus, more deadly.

At least he took the orange!

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 171
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm impressed & it is wonderful that you were thinking more of the homeless situation than what people think.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes it's easy to grow callus to the homeless problem when you see it day after day.

Good work Diehard.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job, Diehard! I'm proud of you too!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.