Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Any record shops left in the area? « Previous Next »
Archive through January 05, 2008Dustin8930 01-05-08  11:42 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spectacles in Harmonie Park

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 333
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh crap, Music World went under?
There goers another source for canadian music.
(sigh)

There was a store on Walker Rd with a logo of a pit bull that sold new and used music. Can't remember the name though. I hope that place is still there.

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shantinique on Warren east of Caduiex in Detroit.

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep Hprgrmln--if the two in Windsor aren't closed by now I'd be surprised--they've been in liquidation sales since December. They were the last of the "major" national retailers--with A&A and Sam's having gone before them. HMV, which is foreign-owned, is the only national player left. The Sunrise chain is still alive in Ontario (no store in Windsor) and there are two orphaned Sam's franchises still open--including one in Sarnia. What is left of the retail music market is now dominated by Wal*Mart and Best Buy...just like everywhere else.

Wanderinglady
Username: Wanderinglady

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember reading somewhere that Simpson's Record Shop (where famous DJ Donnie Simpson started) is still open. I remember it was on Six Mile (E. McNichols) and Jos. Campau. Not living in Detroit anymore, I can't easily verify. Is this true?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6076
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss Harmony House... :-(

Postbop
Username: Postbop

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second that Normandy and Lefty- Melodies and Memories has a GREAT jazz LP and CD selection.

It's ironic that the eventually the only mom and pop audio-media stores that will stay in business are the ones that don't upgrade with the times; specifically: LP specialty stores.

On a sidenote- Car City looks like a shadow of its former self although you can still find some good buys there.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granted, I no longer live in Detroit but frequent the forum to keep up, but I had to check in on this thread. I was a record fiend back in the day, and remember going to a place called "Car City CLASSICS." Same place that you are all referring to?

I still miss Peaches.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 986
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm...if memory serves, Car City Records began on E. Jefferson, in the early 80s. When Peter Dale relocated to AA he sold it, or transferred the business, to Bob S. who currently owns it. But there was, I guess, a legal snafu so the name changed to Car City Classics - anyone else remember this?
Peaches, my God, I still have a Peaches record box somewhere...

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe I forgot to mention Melodies and Memories in Eastpointe!

Record Graveyard is still open. They moved from Jos Compau and Caniff to Jos Compau between Caniff and Holbrook, right next to the Belmont bar, and across from Detroit Threads (which also moved from a few blocks down). They don't have CDs, just records. And if the owner Jeff wasnt there I could see someone having to call him for a price for certain records. Most are priced though.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 904
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The name was changed from Car City Classics to Car City Records because people thought that they were an auto detailing shop.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do miss Harmony House, and esp. Media Play. It is nauseating to me that most new music is purchased today at places like Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, and other non- entertainment-centered places. I loved the Media Play in Pontiac and all of the Harmony Houses in Oakland County. I would also be interested to know if anyone on the forum can verify the following: I remember there being a store called Blockbuster Music for a period of time in the 1990's. I can't remember if it was related to the Blockbuster Video chain or not, but I recall there being one in the Oakland Pointe Plaza (Telegraph & Elizabeth Lake Road, Pontiac, same place as Media Play was.) I think it is still found in some phonebooks, even though the store is long gone. Did this business exist, or have I really gone around the bend?!

Dustin89

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An addendum to the above post:
I sniffed around online & verified that Blockbuster Music did in fact exist. It is frustrating that so many music stores have closed...I'm 18 years old, and I can honestly say that digital music does nothing for me. I would rather have the experience of going to a real store (i.e. Harmony House) to purchase a new CD, or to a nice shop to purchase vintage vinyl. I brainstormed a little and came up with an (incomplete) list of places I used to buy music which are now closed (and, considering my young age, all of this is fairly recent):

Record Town (Summit Place Mall)
Harmony House (Clarkston & Lake Orion locations--there is still one in Petoskey I visit while on vacation)
Neptune Records (4th Street, Royal Oak)
Wendell's (Downtown Royal Oak)
Media Play (Pontiac)
Blockbuster Music (Pontiac)
and many others. I would rather have all those places still open instead of mp3's, and the empty storefronts and retail spaces those businesses left behind. The moral of the story is to support your local music retailers.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 472
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

there is still one in Petoskey I visit while on vacation

Really? Interesting. I thought the one at Catalpa and Woodward (replaced by an fye about a year ago) was the last one open.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People's is the best place for vinyl in metro Detroit, if you want good stuff. If you're looking for Journey LPs, Car City's $1 bin cannot be beat. One time pulled an original copy of Bo Diddley's "Have Guitar..." on Checker in VG+ shape for a buck. Found some old Chuck Berry on Chess in there, too.

Dustin89

Post Number: 176
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bearinabox...I was surprised, too. The last time I was up there was in late August 2007, and it was open. I didn't think the selection was as good as the Harmony Houses I used to frequent, but I guess that's to be expected. It's on the north end of the main drag in Petoskey, U.S. 31 (or 131, I can't remember which it is at that point) in a strip mall on the east side of the road, near a Dunham's. It is weird to walk into an operating Harmony House when virtually all of them are gone. That's also how I felt when I went into the Media Play near Lakeside Mall, on M-59, several years after the one in Pontiac had closed.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 988
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed, thanks for that info...duh...seems kinda obvious in retrospect. Never thought to ask!

Wfw
Username: Wfw

Post Number: 322
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Record Graveyard has my vote for best used vinyl, followed closely by Car City Records.

I find "the Graveyard" to be very reasonably priced, especially compared to the used record stores here in Toronto. To me it's like a little piece of heaven. Last time I went I bought about 20 albums for $70, which in Toronto would have been more like $200+.

Dr. Disc in Windsor is okay too. The vinyl selection has improved a lot in the past several years, but it remains a little pricey, especially compared to the Record Graveyard. You can sometimes find some treasures in the $1 bins, but it takes some searching.

As for the USB turntable, save your $69 and buy a $5 stereo RCA-to-1/8" jack from Radio Shack. Then run your turntable through a receiver, plug that into your hard drive and start ripping vinyl.

Happy listening everyone!

Fho
Username: Fho

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember East Alley Records in downtown Rochester? Mostly CDs but vinyl as well. Really cool place and nice staff. Miss it.

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mallory,

I forgot all about Peaches. Used to go to the store on Schaefer in Dearborn. It was across the street from St. Barbara's Catholic Church. Now it's a Murray's Auto Discount store. Next door is a health club/gym that seems to change names. I know recently it was Gold's gym and I think Kronk boxers were training there. Now it has another name but I can't think of it off hand. The gym had another name before Gold's, some national chain I think but memory escapes me there too. Krogers grocery store is still across the street.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 192
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i remember when they opened peaches, that was a big deal then, on tv and me being a kid thought i could get a new seseme street record. but no. my cousin was very happy with her peaches record crates, i got excited when tower records opened in ann arbor,drove out there and ended up buying a cd at state discount,cheaper then tower.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 227
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I had this ritual (I was a DJ in the 80's) where I would first go to a store that was near the Highland Appliance on Michigan (name anyone?), east of Telegraph, then down to Dearborn Music, maybe Fairlane, then down to Peaches, plus, there was also a big record store on Michigan near Schaefer, but I'm not sure when it was open or how long. Peaches WAS a big deal back in the day. I was mainly looking for 12" singles, and Dearborn had a good stock of them. God, I still have a ton of those damn things.

Any Taylor-ites remember Mr. Music?

Klingon
Username: Klingon

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at Ross Music in Northland for about a year ...what a treat ...in 1976 ....

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 669
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-Flames Favorites in the alley off of Hancock (near Cass)
-Peoples on Forrest / Second
-Car City on Mack
-Encore on Liberty in A2
-Wazoo on State in A2
-PJ's in A2
-Record Graveyard in hamtramck
-Stormy in Dearborn
-Streetcorner in Southfield

yes there are still some record stores! wheew. thank god. I love all of the ones above. I think the weakest in the list above is PJs, and the best Peoples/Encore/Car City/Record Graveyard

Wazoo is maybe the best place to go for NEW vinyl

Peoples, Flames, Graveyard, and Encore the best for OLD vinyl

Peoples is best for 45s (especially soul)

Car City and Encore are best for Jazz

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3539
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad this place isn't around any more...

Fortune

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2831
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The answer is yes there are record stores.I have been waiting for someone to mention Encore records in Ann Arbor.Encore is as good a store as there is. Jim G mentioned Peter Dale who is the owner of Encore.

The sad and bad news is that Encore is likely doomed in it's current location. Mckinley properties has big plans for the block and the Encore location will be demolished. Not only is this sad for the current store but prior to encore this same exact location was the home of Liberty records; I am guessing the location on E.Liberty in Ann Arbor has been a record store for over fifty years.

Incidentally I read where the President of Mckinley properties referred to the area as an eyesore. This angered me to the point of emailing the Mayor and my city councilman.

Dustin89

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flames Favorites in the alley off of Hancock near Cass

Please elaborate--I've never heard of this place.

Fho
Username: Fho

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Solo Records on Woodward, between 12 & 13 I believe, is a pretty good resource.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 196
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i remember now there was an [off the record] store at mich/ schaefer back in the 80,s, also one on mich east of schaefer next to the white tower, had grande posters and stuff. garden city had 3 record stores at on time on ford rd.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i used to frequent desirable discs in dearborn as well as stormy on mich ave and a few out in downtown ann arbor. i hope they still there fo chrissakes...

Kahnman
Username: Kahnman

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the early 80's I rode along with my brother to visit a hardcore roots/reggae record store on the near north side of Detroit.

I vaguely remember a huge p.a. soundsystem that was pumping out dub at rib-cracking levels. The latest imported Jamaican platters were displayed on the walls and they had just about everything you could want. Rastafarian banners and flags were everywhere and the smell of "burning leaves" was quite potent. The guy that owned it was a quintessential dredlocked Rasta with such a thick patois you could hardly understand him. The place was not in the safest location, IIRC. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Oh yeah, what a bummer to find out that all of those wonderfully obscure, expensive Jamaican import albums sounded like they were stamped on banana leaves! Absolutely the WORST pressings on the planet that sounded more like Edison wax cylinder recordings than vinyl...grrr!!

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 335
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mallory-Was it Desireable Discs? At one point they had 2 locations in Dearborn, 1 on Michigan

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.