Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Moratorium on foreclosures and utility shut-offs? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3250
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting prospect:

Activists Ask Granholm For Economic State of Emergency

"MECAWI has organized a rally on Saturday, Jan 5, at Central United Methodist Church, 23 East Adams at Woodward"

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3157
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it is interesting.

But TPTB are too beholden to special interests. It'll never happen.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It isn't clear to me that a foreclosure moratorium it would be a good idea. The only way to get the housing market functioning is for prices to finish falling, so people are willing to buy again because they are no longer convinced they would be better off waiting. Having a bunch of houses hanging around in the hands of people who can't afford them (and will eventually have to sell them) for many years sounds like an excellent way to prevent this from happening.

I don't think there would be much of a problem with restrictions on foreclosures or utility shutoffs during the winter though.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 843
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow if that goes into effect I would even think about going into foreclosure. I could save a ton of money.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 158
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the MECOWI website:

"We demand a moratorium on evictions, foreclosures, utility shut-offs, school closings, plant shutdowns and lay-offs"

Why don't they demand a moratorium on taxes, late fee's at blockbuster, and snow for that matter... I'm sure they'll all receive equal amount of attention...

Pardon my cynicism... I understand that America's corporations have been receiving handouts from the government for years, but what do you expect the lenders to do when someone doesn't pay the mortgage... let them stay there for free? The solution to these problems isn't a moratorium... that won't do a thing...

These are important issues, don't get me wrong, but these guys need to reconsider their approach... demanding a moratorium on lay-offs... ??? plant closings ??? exactly what can the governer do in those situations?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We demand a moratorium on evictions, foreclosures, utility shut-offs, school closings, plant shutdowns and lay-offs"

-- would ruin the free market system the same as does freezing prices for a product...

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 922
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now they want to protest Jan 29th.
This is a left wing extremist communist group.
Maybe if they would get a job and work instead of protesting all the time, they could pay their bills.
http://www.mecawi.org/

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2236
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, some people just don't understand how the whole system works together and these naive people are very selfish. Sure it would help a struggling homeowner if he got a bailout, but that just isn't how things work...

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Detroit and believe in Detroit, but a bailout for those in over theirs heads is WRONG. There is a difference btw the person being foreclosed on because of a loss of income, sickness etc and a foreclosure because people got in over their heads.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.