Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Ron Paul Lived in Detroit » Archive through December 07, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from www.ronpaul2008.com
Following piece is written by his wife Carol.
"After Medical School, we lived in Detroit, Michigan, where Ron did an internship and one year of an Internal Medicine Residency. I ran a dancing school in the basement of our home and taught ballet and tap dancing and baton twirling. Just to tell you what kind of budget we were on, the dancing school paid for the newspaper and for extra expenses we had when a month had five weeks!"

Does anyone know where he lived and/or did his residency? Sounds like he lived in the city and not the burbs but any info would be great.

(Message edited by sparty06 on December 06, 2007)

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 840
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mitt Romney lived in Michigan also. Not voting for him either.

Sparty06

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mitt Romney lived in Oakland County somewhere I think?

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1667
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would suppose so. His pops was CEO at AMC, right? I would bet big he lived in Oakland County.....

Though were they maybe from west Michigan originally? Don't know why I'm thinking that...

Guess I'll just say I find it a little irritating that so many Americans seem disgusted by Romney's being a Mormon, using the reasoning they fear his Mormonism will heavily shape how he governs.....meanwhile all the diehard Christians that have a problem with Mormonism want a diehard Christian in office who will use their Christianity to heavily shape how they govern.

Freakin double standard, intolerant crap really irritates me.

Not that I'm a Romney supporter, just saying his being a Mormon really should almost not be worth discussing.....

Sparty06

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, just checked.... Romney lived in Bloomfield Hills as a child.
Still haven't found out if my suspicion is right that Ron Paul actually chose to live in the actual City of Detroit.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, looked it up.

Romney was actually born in Detroit (at least all according to wikipedia), so I suppose we can call him a "Detroiter"!

Didn't even know his pops was a Michigan governor.

He graduate from Cranbrook in Bloomfield.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Didn't even know his pops was a Michigan governor."

Are you serious?

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 841
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mitt Romney's first name is actually "Willard". Wow. Willard Milton Romney. They've been keeping that little tidbit carefully covered.

Dsmith
Username: Dsmith

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From http://media.www.michigandaily .com/media/storage/paper851/ne ws/2007/10/25/Viewpoints/Suppo rt.Ron.Paul-3056104.shtml

For any American who values peace and freedom, the choice for president couldn't be easier: Congressman Ron Paul. An Air Force medic during the Vietnam War and an obstetrician who completed his residency at Detroit's Henry Ford Hospital, Paul's commitment to principle has never wavered in 10 congressional terms. He is, as Sen. John McCain once said, the most honest man in Washington.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5687
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As in Willard Scott, the original Ronald Mc Donald.

Jerome 81 post 1667 tells it like it tis. Exactly, the Far Rightist Christians always picket the grand openings of the LDS Temples and then condemn them for being the wrong kind of Christians. Calling a church organization like LDS a "cult" is really nuts, eh. When the Saints opened up their Welfare Storehouse in New Orleans during Katrina and ran it like FEMA should have, everybody got food and supplies. During those heroic days, The Saints weren't a lowly cult, far from it.

jjaba.

Sparty06

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Wikipedia one of Ron Paul's brothers is a pastor in Grand Rapids as well.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 8148
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What? No liberal presidential candidates from the most liberal state in the union?

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 464
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While we're on the subject, have they said anything, or has anything indicated that they would be particularly good for Detroit/Michigan, beyond you thinking that they're just good candidates. I'm wondering if they have any allegiances to here, and if that would help us if they were to become president.

I'd like for someone to try to sell either candidate to me in terms of Detroit.

(Message edited by Jasoncw on December 07, 2007)

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, yes, Michigan is the most liberal state with its permitted gay marriages, affirmative action for college admissions, strict gun control laws (like waiting periods, an assault weapons ban, CCW limits, and limits on how many guns you can buy at once), and investment in its cities over wealthy suburbs and sprawl.

Dsmith
Username: Dsmith

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jasoncw,

Dr. Paul only has an allegiance to the Constitution.

Isn't that amazing.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2322
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ah, yes, Michigan is the most liberal state with its permitted gay marriages, affirmative action for college admissions, strict gun control laws (like waiting periods, an assault weapons ban, CCW limits, and limits on how many guns you can buy at once), and investment in its cities over wealthy suburbs and sprawl.

Don't forget the decriminalization of marijuana!

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arab_guyumich
Username: Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This state could use a lot more of the latte-drinking, sushi-eating, Volvo-driving, New York Times-reading, body-piercing, Hollywood-loving demographic...but I think they all moved to Chicago.

The_ed

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They moved to Chicago because they couldn't handle living in Detroit.

Arab_guyumich
Username: Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...or, umm, because Detroit has only one (supposedly open) sushi joint.

The_ed

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ferndale has a couple of Sushi joints but I guess that was too far for them to travel.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2323
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They don't have a sushi joint in Asian Village?

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3934
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sushi is just gross. almost every time i say that, someone says "well you haven't tried it here..." fell for that three times. what is so enjoyable about raw fish wrapped in seaweed and rice with the consistency of grade-school craft paste?

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Asian Village isn't that place a Steak and Ale now?"

Hilarious!

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 183
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Romney obviously is former Governor George Romney's son. He lived in Bloomfield Hills and went to Cranbrook. Pretty sure he met his wife there. No idea about Paul. Paul was the libertarian candidate for president at one point.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's obvious I thought as well, but apparently there are a few like Jerome81 who are utterly unaware of recent Michigan history.

Jmarx
Username: Jmarx

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it hasn't been said, Ron Paul did his residency at Henry Ford Hospital in the early 60's...

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Asian Village, yes. You can also get sushi at Sala Thai-Eastern Market, Tom's Oyster Bar, Fishbones, and if you're into Kroger-type sushi, Harbortown Market.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2328
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Asian Village, yes. You can also get sushi at Sala Thai-Eastern Market, Tom's Oyster Bar, Fishbones, and if you're into Kroger-type sushi, Harbortown Market.

I thought he was talking about Bleu... Didn't that "supposedly" reopen?

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 184
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't mean for that "obviously" to come out that way. Regardless, whether or not these candidates lived in Detroit, has either one said anything concerning the little economic problem we are having in southeast michigan?