Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Time Crosswalk Displays being Installed in Downtown. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Big_daddy
Username: Big_daddy

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Contractors are installing the timed crosswalk displays are various intersections in Downtown. These are the same kind they have in the WSU area. I noticed them completed and working at Congress @ Shelby, and being installed @ Congress/Griswold and Congress/Woodward. These display the number of seconds until the lights change. Good addition I think.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4761
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had those count-down pedestrian displays in SW Detroit for months already. Apparently, the city installed them first in areas that seemed to be vibrant.

Big_daddy
Username: Big_daddy

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ouch.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4762
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My take is that they were installed where there are pedestrians to be found. Expect to first see them at or near school crossings.

However, I noticed them at some SW Detroit crossings that rarely have any pedestrians.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2297
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now if they could get people to cross at the crossings...

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just as long as they are set back far enough from the street so the buses/semis/SUVs on steroids don't clip them.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are exactly where the non-timed lights were, which they replaced. They just have one more bit of information: how many more seconds you have to live.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4427
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While biking around Santa Monica last March, I noticed several of these combined with amplified voice count downs. Much more effective and good for the visually impaired.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 473
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^That sounds extremely annoying.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They had those count-down pedestrian displays in SW Detroit for months already. Apparently, the city installed them first in areas that seemed to be vibrant."

Not really. They also placed them at the busier intersections. We're still behind with all of this though. Other cities have had this type of crosswalk signal for a while.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 294
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ones in Downtown Rochester have the voices too that countdown. There is leaderdog training down there so I think it is Friendly to the blind people!

Username: 7051

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These timers are great for finding out the minimum amount of time one can get across 4-8 lanes of traffic. What fun!!

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4769
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duh! Urbanize again (over)states the obvious: That the downtown doesn't have many busy pedestrian intersections, whereas WSU and SW Detroit does.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who the hell is Urbanize!
And you (as always) misunderstood my post. When I said busier intersection across the city, I meant any intersection in the city of Detroit that's busy at peak rush hour times (such as Seven Mile/Connor & Gratiot) or the city put them in place when they updated the traffic lights in a particular intersection.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4770
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DR: It seems that a frequent-flyer named Urbanize stopped posting around the time your nickname appeared. Must be a mistake on my part...

You got to take into consideration those intersections that need pedestrian lights. Those are the ones that actually have pedestrians. Whenever I go downtown to transfer buses, it's usually me alone at a bus stop and a gaggle of panhandlers downtown. Therefore, the downtown is way down on the list compared to school crossings and such.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2496
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY --

Don't forget about the weather fetish that is shared by both of them.

And the machine gun posting rampages.

And the grammar.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4771
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wink, wink...

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, if you guys are so hyped into finding a troll, MissMich/MichiganSnowflake/Mis s Cleo is your person. I can name 10 sites with millions of people that have a weather fetish. No one has perfect grammar either. Finally, I'm eating Ccbatson's dust when it comes to frequent posting.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4772
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not so much a troll as being a sock puppet. We could spend hours and threads discussing that.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For what? Just because you don't have anything else imporatnt to add on a thread doesn't mean you can shank and kill it just to harass other members.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4224
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This reminds me of an old Twilight Zone episode called The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are some areas up where I live where they have the numbered crosswalk lights at intersections where there isn't even a sidewalk, which is funny to me. I think this is because the OC Road Commission often puts these in now whenever they re-do an intersection. They're great when you're walking, and great when you're driving as well so you can accurately judge when the light will turn yellow.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 801
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, Urbanize, what do you think of this weather warm-up?

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 518
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The place they are needed most but aren't installed yet is at Woodward and Warren...in fact anywhere along Woodward in Midtown.

I actually just crossed Woodward and Warren and the crosswalk signs were functioning backwards. Red hand when the traffic light was green and walk sign when traffic light was red. Wierded out.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 269
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This reminds me of an old Twilight Zone episode called The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street."

That's a great episode! One of my favs!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.