Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Eph McNally's Closed? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom tried eating at the Corktown location for lunch today and reported it closed with the toasters out of the window and everything. She couldn't confirm it shut for good or just not open for some reason. Should we fear the worst? Anyone heard anything?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3564
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was closed last time I went there for lunch, it was a Monday

Rugbyman

Post Number: 179
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's weird, their hours on the website say they're open until 4 on Mondays. Granted, the site doesn't list the Woodward location at all, so maybe it's not updated very often. How long ago did you go, Bob?

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 207
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tried going this weeknd and it was closed. Was told that they closed the loaction in Corktown and are only going to operate out of the Woodward site!

Artistic
Username: Artistic

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went there last fall on a Monday for lunch and it was closed. I think we can guess that on Monday they are closed

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6940
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eph McNally's is Open! They owners just closed a while ago are building maintenance.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 688
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just was there and talked to greg about 3 weeks ago. He didn't mention anything and neither did Rob at the woodward location when I was there 2 weeks ago. I tried to go this weekend and it was closed but I wouldn't fret. it will be open.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought they were closing the Corktown location for the downtown location?

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tried to go to the downtown location yesterday at 2pm.....website says open till 6pm, guy at the door says Closed!

great food, poor consistency keeping a deli open.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1725
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will DIE if McNally's on Porter closes. My studio is only 2 blocks away, their chicken salad sandwiches sustain me!

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 517
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We will hold your funeral on the patio at Slows.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11236
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leoqueen,

I think you're gonna need resuscitation.

They apparently decided to consolidate their resources because the expected influx of bodies for the new developments...like that FBI campus and all...are taking too long to support that location.

If they haven't worked it out yet, there WILL be delivery available to you from Woodward...

This is from a conversation from weeks ago...and I'll amend it if anything is incorrect, but even through the alcohol haze I think I got the story right.

There is no threat with the Woodward location, everything is happening according to plan there, as far as I know.

Cheers!

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 689
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am goin to the woodward location for lunch tomorrow and will try to get the scoop from Rob.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4429
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad. Porter St. location is totally pleasant charming while new location is rather bland. I guess I don't get it because every time I have been to Porter St. they were jammed. I would have thought it too profitable to not stay open. Go figure.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3872
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I just was there and talked to greg about 3 weeks ago. He didn't mention anything and neither did Rob at the woodward location when I was there 2 weeks ago. I tried to go this weekend and it was closed but I wouldn't fret. it will be open.

Folks paying attention have known for nearly a month that the original location would close permanently....Sorry Charlie.

The owners sensed a long time ago that they would not be able to negotiate a reasonable lease renewal with their absentee landlord and made backup plans. And as it turns out, they couldn't negotiate a reasonable extension of their lease.

Plain and simple greed.

The Woodward location is owned by Rob and Greg so they cannot be evicted. Smart move by them to protect their flank.

Why would they cannibalize themselves by opening a second location so close to the original and then spend so much time at the new locale?

The new location will be less bland once the collections are moved and put in place.

The real tragedy out of all this is Ladels, which got roughly 50% of its business from Ephs patrons.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad, we used to through a lot of business to them. Downtown is ok, but is there anywhere to park? Sorry they had to close.

Rugbyman

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's my concern. I've run down there from WSU a few times only because I could park and get back to make another class. I think parking's going to keep me from being able to do that at the downtown location.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a shame, with Ladels Bookstore next door seemed like the start of a retail area there.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11142
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know the deal with the landlord? Does he expect higher rent, does he live out of state, does he have other properties in the area, etc.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a shame...

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rugby, fear not. Walk to Woodward, catch the DDOT number 53 Woodward bus, it's a ten minute bus ride and the bus comes every 8 minutes at midday.

If you're closer to Cass, take the number 16 Dexter bus, comes every 12 minutes.

Couldn't be easier.

Buck fifty, or buy a pass. If you use cash six quarters are better than a dollar bill and two quarters (the new machines are fussy about bills).

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I fly down 75 from Troy at least once a month to pick up lunch from Eph's for me and my co-workers. I guess I'll have to give myself an extra 15 minutes for parking/walking.

15 fewer minutes of work... see this is a good thing!

j/k... I love and will miss the Porter St. spot.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 668
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The corktown location is closing so they can focus on their downtown location. I was told this by the owner

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4432
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey it all makes sense and they are the one's paying the bills and making it go, but still... It is a tough business and I wish them great success.

And no matter how they move and arrange their chachkas, the new space will not have the same ambience with those big windows to the street and glorious southern sunlight pouring in. I also found it disappointing that they don't have front window seating the new place, instead hogging up that space for carry out.

I would hope someone else would grab the Porter St. location. With the FBI campus coming and Corktown growing, it has to be a good opportunity, if they can come up to Eph's food quality.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 194
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish them well, but personally I think it's too bad. But I hope they do a good business, but doubt that I will ever be able to give them business like I usually did. Goodbye old friends.

(Message edited by karl jr. on January 08, 2008)

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Woodward site saved me a few times when I called an order in at Porter and they were closed. The only drawback is parking. Boswell has to circle that block several times until I can emerge with my treasure bag of chicken salad sandwiches and corned beef sandwiches. But it is always worth it! I thought I would never get over the demise of Alvins Finer, but time marches on. I will always support Ephs no matter where they are..

Gannon

Post Number: 11260
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dropped by today on my walkabout to the river...it was just too darn warm to stay indoors on this first New Moon of the year...and it looks fabulous inside.

Got my first close look at the new frontage, and I'm impressed. Taru Lahti does a fine pickle!

I understand the window view desire, Lowell...it'd be cool if they could set up outdoor seating...but they really have jazzed up the place. Nothing plain at all, just not in Corktown.

Last few times I was in there, it was for business meetings...and packed for lunch...so there was no way to check out the morphing walls.

They've got a wee Kate doll from Charlie's Angels in its package! You never know what to expect, now that they've got their systems running full steam in this location, they've had the time to jazz up the walls even MORE. You knew it was bound to happen.

Gotta visit in the off-hours, though, so you can wander around and soak it all in!

Delivery Service scheduled to launch just after their tardy phone technician gets the intercom/multi-line system installed, ahem.

Leoqueen, I suspect you'll be getting delivery within a week or so! Zero aggravation...

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,

I have made it a habit to stop in on Saturdays for a sangwich as I regularly work that day at Cware.

We all are wondering when will be able to e-mail or text in our orders? If so, I will have my software "agent" auto-schedule a recurring text message order for a number #43 each Saturday at noon
Better yet how about a "one-click" web order system for sandwiches and delivery ? Just bill my card guys!
Leo B

Rugbyman

Post Number: 182
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where specifically is the Woodward location? Thinking about trying ProfessorScott's bus 53 option for lunch today...

(Message edited by rugbyman on January 11, 2008)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 870
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rugbyman, it's next door to the Vinton building, 2 doors N of Congress...just look for the awesome new sign with the giant pickle on it!

Milt721
Username: Milt721

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone better tell the folks over at AutoWeek about this development. In thier Jan. 14 issue, they recommend Eph's Corktown location, with no mention of the Woodward location.

Gannon

Post Number: 11309
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LeoB!

Heya, I'll do better at crossing paths wicha there again...always a pleasure.

You bluesing it anywheres lately? I'm jonesing...

Cheers!

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coming soon... Mudgie's

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

?

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 500
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.myspace.com/mudgies 313

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh... Thanks Valkyrias.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 701
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/mudgie12608.aspx

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 929
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, can anyone tell me the hours for the downtown Eph's? I'm thinking about swinging by there on my way around town this afternoon for some quick takeout, but I want to make sure they are open when I get there.

Their website is no help.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 505
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

their myspace page says mon-sat 11am to 8pm, sunday noon to 6.

http://www.myspace.com/ephsdow ntown

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone eaten at Mudgie's yet?

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a Steve's Deli? Anybody been there? I would like to see one somewhere in downtown or near it...

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080221/COL20/8 02210341/1081

Mudgie's

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Has anyone eaten at Mudgie's yet?

Yes, and it was excellent.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ate there yesterday. Had a bowl of soup and half a sammich (stet). The soup was great. The sandwich was pretty good. High quality, for sure. Though I think McNally had much better bread.
I'll be going back, for sure.
It was pretty dead in there, sadly. It was 1:30 on a Thursday. Not prime lunch hour, but there were only two other people in there. I hope it does well.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corktowners are pretty loyal to their own. Once they find out it's opened, they'll show up.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.