Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Someone please adopt the stray Downtown Detroit Australian Cattle Dog « Previous Next »
Archive through January 08, 2008Kathinozarks30 01-08-08  10:05 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11152
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More concern for a dog than most of the citizens of Detroit. While I hope all works out well for the dog it is a little discouraging that there is apparently more concern for this dog than the residents of the city.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, I get what you are saying, but I disagree. There is plenty of concern/empathy here to go around.

What bugs me is that the people who thought they were helping this dog were actually doing the opposite. I wish they would have just left the dog alone. It was being fed and was fine.
If you start to help an animal or a human you HAVE to follow through til the end.

Jt1

Post Number: 11154
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Given the location they may have been concerned that the dog may get hit.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, but their concern should have stopped there if they weren't able to take complete care of the dog. Ya know?

Jt1

Post Number: 11155
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree and disagree. On an individaul basis I agree but as a whole this city has too many stray dogs breeding more stray dogs.

The pack of 5 dogs that attacked my car on Vernor the other day may have been nice but they seemed pretty intimidating especially in an area with a lot of kids.

Strays are a big issue in the city and I don't know if each case can or should be addressed on an individual basis.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone ought to try to adopt this dog.

Hey, maybe Ellen Degeneres could be contacted? :-)

Seriously, the dog was fine and then some of us do-gooders just had to get involved to 'save his life'.

Where are the do-gooders now? Can't take him in? Can't find a family for him? I hope I'm wrong and someone is stepping up to the plate.

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in a 4 story apartment, and fostering the last dog I rescued was hell. Canine to Five helped provide support and without them I do not know what I would have done. My sister is a certified dog trainer and she is willing to help train the dog if someone can get her. Her apartment does not allow dogs. But it may take a few weeks.

Urbanoutdsoors, are you interested in the dog if we can arrange transport to you! Are you in the state.

I don't own a car but is anyone who does willing to go get this dog, pay the fee, and take it to a no kill shelter. I will throw in $20.

If someone can foster her, I can put the info through the same network that found my rescued dog a home.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If only i didn't travel so much.
Growing up a friend had one of these and it was brilliant! She never needed a leash, very independent, but loyal! Sometimes she would go away for a 1-2 day adventure but would always return home.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 694
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Luka I am in the D but although I have my degree cannot find work, if I could I would take the dog in in a heartbeat. Also at the current moment the flat I have has 2 other dogs that share a back yard and with a dominant breed such as this I would be hesitant to have her associate with them, but it could also do it some good. Once I find a job I will be moving to a place where I have my own backyard but till then there are way too many question marks.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone new to this thread that can help?

Any news on the status of the dog?

Gianni, I guess your neighbors meant well, but I almost wish they had let the dog keep living the way he was. Didn't seem to be bothering anyone.

Whenever there is a stray cat in our yard I want to feed it, but I don't because I know I can't be responsible for it. And I don't want to send it to it's death at our 'Humane' Society. (I sometimes give food and money to the Society - and cat litter just in case it buys an animal another day to be adopted)

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3592
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an Australian CD rescue group at acdca.org. Can anybody check and see if they can get the dog before it's too late?
(I can't - at work - for hours).

Prayers to St. Francis for the doggie.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Oldred! I've been thinking that YOU could get the doggie and take it up north to the country!? :-)

I was going to give you a shout out, but now it sounds like you can't take the pup either. I'll check out the rescue group website now.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the site and The ACD Rescue doesn't have a group in Michigan,so I didn't email them. They have a long-distance phone number and you can leave a message, but they might not return your call for 48 hours. I think the phone number is in their mid-Florida location.

I'm guessing that their is no further interest in this dog from the lack of posts. I may have to give up also, as I am in Arkansas and am feeling a bit silly for being so concerned about one dog a thousand miles away.

Gianni, what is the status?

Lukabottle

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.petfinder.com/shelt ers/acdrescuemi.html

The Australian Cattle Dog (ACD) and Heeler Rescue of Michigan-Founded 1990

Please take a moment to review our policies on receiving dogs:
*We Help Shelters and Rescue Groups ONLY- No Owner Releases, shelter referrals or free lance rescuers.

I cannot do it since I am at work but if someone has a contact at the Humane Society or maybe Gianni can let the humane society know about the rescue. They do not take shelter referrals but the shelter can call them.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you luka!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BIG NEWS!

The woman I spoke with just now at the HS said she has already spoken with the Austrailian Cattle Dog Rescue people and they are going to be able to get the dog to the Rescue people! Yippee! Yay! Hooray!

She said she contacts organizations when purebreds are brought in. She was so sweet on the phone and said she didn't want me to post her name. She said, I'm just doing my job".

The man who answered the phone first, asked me for an ID number for the dog, and I said I couldn't possibly know that and he wasn't going to be very helpful, but he finally came through with a transfer to the very helpful girl! So, see, he was nice too!
I'm very excited that I am able to report this news today.

(Message edited by kathinozarks on January 09, 2008)

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 335
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found three ACD groups, or at least contacts, in Michigan and emailed all three twice yesterday. Also my neighbor talked to the people from the ACD group in Remus MI. She also talked to the National Group and I believe they sent out a message to all their affiliates. The Remus people emailed me last night that they were waiting to get a photo today to confirm that the dog is an ACD. My neighbor has been in contact with the person in charge at the Michigan Humane Society and is hopeful. As I said yesterday the dog has perked up, is playing with toys and so the MHS has decided to give it a full evaluation today which they would do for a dog that they think is adoptable.

So a far as I know at least one ACD group (in Remus) is working with the MHS on this.

I haven't heard anything yet myself today. I'm waiting to hear from my neighbor who is in contact with the MHS. MHS did not return my call yesterday, not sure why, maybe they just want to deal with one person.

I have also offered, through the neighbor, to take the dog temporarily, transport it, and pay whatever it takes. But I have a feeling that MHS does not work this way. If they feel the dog is not adoptable (ie aggressive) then the only option is to give it to an ACD rescue group but not to someone like me.

I will give an update once I know something more.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a done deal. HS called the Rescue people and the transfer will take place.

Gianni

Post Number: 336
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kath, you scooped me.

This is wonderful news.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like you were working on it very hard and for that you are to be commended. Good job!

(To be truthful, I was kind of happy to be the one to tell the good news. :-) )

I sure hope the little feller gets a good home.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3593
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so glad!

(Kath, I'm in a little house in Royal Oak, I'd have gone to get the dog after the first post if I could have.)

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why, Oldred, I have you mixed up with someone else on this site. Oops, my bad.

But, see, I knew you as a good soul anyway!

I'll have to try to remember who I'm mixing you up with.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3595
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're probably thinking of Miss Cleo. You've been gone for a while...

Ced
Username: Ced

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am Gianni's neighbor who had the dog taken to the Humane Society. I did call the Anti-Cruelty Society, which has a no-kill policy. They sent someone out who determined that he had been trying to catch this dog for months and he gave up. My husband and I then began a feeding program; feeding the dog in the same place at the same time every day. The dog responded and, after 7 days, the Anti-Cruelty guy came out again, disregarded his supervisors instructions about the feeding program and made a half-hearted effort to catch her. They were done at that point. We tried to socialize her with our dog but that did not work. Our dilemma was this - the worst of winter hasn't hit yet. On the one hand, do we want to find the dog frozen to death or hit by a car and suffering or would we like to take a chance that it could be adopted or (never our first choice) destroyed? Detroit Animal Control would have destroyed it and many neighbors called Animal Control and wanted them to come out. Fortunately, they were closed for several weeks. The neighbors closest to the situation agreed that we are opposed to routine destruction of animals but we saw no option here. The Humane Society was our only choice. We are very sorry we had to do this and our efforts to help this dog to a home now show how heartsick we were over this. But we felt we had no choice. I have spent the past week (unknown to my employer) on the phone working to help this dog. I've visited her twice, made donations each time and solicited donations in the neighborhood so we showed we were supportive. I visited her Sunday and Tuesday. Gianni called me with the good news today. The shelter manager Jennifer, whom I presume is the nice person people have been speaking to, is wonderful. She listened to me and gave me and others a chance to work this out. Please send e-mails, snail mail or call the Humane Society thanking Jennifer for her compassion and patience with all of us. Better yet, let her supervisor know about her and hope they give her a raise! Or go on their web site and send the Southeastern Michigan Humane Society Director a message.
To see this dog, go to the American Kennel Club web site and choose Australian Cattle Dog. She looks like the picture of the perfect example of a cattle dog only more tan in the face and definitely cuter.
By the way, I have always had shelter dogs. My 10 year old Sunny had serious behavior problems when we adopted her and they helped us work them out so she could have a good home. Consider the fact that they may be getting a bad rap for no reason.

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice job from long distance Kathinozarks. It's a blessing and a curse to care about animals. Thanks for taking the time to make the call.

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

8 months ago Carpwoman dragged me into the Española dog pound. It was a tough place, consisting mostly of a death row filled with pit bulls and rotweillers. Doomed beings. In one distant cell were other dogs, including Honey, who, thanks to my partner was spared from the place's assisted reincarnation program. She is warm, loving and very protective of her new home, having bitten perhaps half the folks who have tried to enter our domain. Her domain. Whatever. Here she is, earlier today.
hony of dixon

(Message edited by carptrash on January 09, 2008)

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG Oldred, I have no idea why I confused you two.

Gianni and Ced are the ones to thank. Although I'm touched that you are thanking me, too. It's always cool to think you just might have been somewhat helpful in some way.

Ced - thank you for registering to tell your story. It's always good to know the whole story before coming up with opinions and I apologize for any disparaging remarks I made on previous posts. I see now that you are a truly kind person and I would do well to keep opinions of others to myself. I was upset at the potential death of the poor dog and judged too quickly.

I hope that you will stick around DY. The girl I spoke with today at DHS asked me not to use her name (don't know why), so I won't. It is always a good thing to send a thank you and a commendation to someone's boss after a particularly well done job. Although, now that I think about it, maybe she was working too much on this case and would get reprimanded for it. Whichever is the case it was a good Michigan Humane Society experience for me.

Thanks for sharing your little honey, carp!

Gianni

Post Number: 337
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little ACD trivia I just learned. It's the only breed that can survive global thermonuclear annihilation. See Mel Gibson and "dog" in the movie Mad Max.

Carptrash

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's an Aussie movie, Get it?
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3268
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

She is warm, loving and very protective of her new home, having bitten perhaps half the folks who have tried to enter our domain.

Time to give this guy a call or order his DVD before you get sued:

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 653
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have adopted him but I don't even like dogs.

I feel ok about saying that now that this little guy's life has been saved. I have been following this thread and even for a non dog lover it's nice to hear there is a happy ending and it's nice to see so many people that care.

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, it's great to hear good news about this dog. I've been reading this thread every day to check on the news. It's so good to see many kind people trying to help.

Carptrash

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Pam. We are going the bitter apple spray way, which seems to be working pretty well. Mostly she goes for pant legs just occasionally gets just a nip of flesh in there. But bitter apple has got her thinking.

Lukabottle

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome job Gianni and Ced, you saved this dog from starvation or being hit by a car.

Ced

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am new to this forum and do appreciate all the kind words of support everyone has given us. Gianni now gets the kudos for delivering this dog to its new home over 3 hours away.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No kidding, Ced? See, this is the kind of thing that makes my heart ache for all the beauty and goodness in the world.

If there were a news channel on tv that only reported good deeds we would be amazed at how often it happens. So many humans are doing good things every day.

Our lives are all intertwined. I am a thousand miles away and yet I am here, too. I have no idea who you are or who Gianni is, yet you both have touched my life in such a positive way.

Thank you both for being such good people.

Definite, huge kudos to Gianni for the 3 hour drive. You should have drinks bought for you at the next DY get-together.

Ruthie1
Username: Ruthie1

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm new to this forum also, and I am so happy to read the good news about this dog. Thanks to all of you kind people that helped save him.

Gianni

Post Number: 338
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr and Mrs Gianni and our 2 daughters picked up the lucky dog from tha MHS this morning and drove to Remus Michigan to deliver her to Monica and who has an Australian Cattle Dog rescue site there. AuCaDo. Look it up.

So our Downtown Detroit Australian Cattle Dog is safe and sound.

She is a very sweet girl. Take a look and you can see what I am talking about. She evaded us all for months while she was living on the streets but now look at her.

By the way everyone involved in saving this girl (except Monica) is a Detroit resident.

Lucky dog 1

Lucky Dog 2

(Message edited by Gianni on January 13, 2008)

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3614
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the smile of a happy dog. Thanks for the happy ending, Gianni.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ooh, she's a beauty! I'm so glad she is safe now, and hopefully soon she will have a forever home.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay, G!

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures of her. She is a doll!

Ced

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work closely with seniors; median age 88. They live with me as I am an administrator with a senior housing and services agency. 50 funerals a year is not an understatement. Gianni and I have been asking each other "Why this dog?". I think for me the answer is "Because I know I can." We did and my life has brightened a bit. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and kind words.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4830
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's got the head of a black-and-tan coonhound (mix), except for the ears. I raised several, so I bet she probably has some B&T in her.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3551
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get that dog a job!

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 421
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great. a great example of human caring, people working together.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.