Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » UD Mercy offers cash for moving to Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UD Mercy offers cash for moving to Detroit
Staffers will get $5,000 for house, same from HUD
January 8, 2008

BY ROBIN ERB

FREE PRESS EDUCATION WRITER

Forget the shorter drive time and the savings in gas. Employees of the University of Detroit Mercy have a more immediately gratifying reason to move near one of the university's three campuses -- $10,000.

The university is offering its approximately 850 employees $5,000 toward a down payment if they move into neighborhoods around one of the campuses, within certain boundaries.

More at:
http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080108/NEWS01/ 801080399/1003

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds like a great idea. $10,000 towards a downpayment may help a few people decide to buy in Detroit.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 609
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't think of a better way for them to use my tuition, now if they would only take down the fence. Most interesting is that by living there for five years the five thousand from the school will be forgiven. Sounds like a great plan.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4302
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very provocative. I like the conscientiousness on their part.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3198
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was/is a similar homebuyers program in place with Yale University re faculty and staff buying a home in New Haven, CT. (I think it is a little bit more generous than the UDM program described in the article but it is the same sorta thing, a healthy chunk of $ to assist with the DP and then a bit a year follow-on for 10 years.) It was quite successful initially in income-stabilizing a once upper middle class neighborhood of grand old homes immediately north of campus, so successful in this regard that Yale decided to gerrymander these neighborhoods from the program.

This sort of program, I believe, was pioneered by Univ. of Chicago in its attempt a few decades ago to maintain the enclave of residential Hyde Park as an attractive residential locale for academic staff. I may be mistaken about his tho ...

Too bad WSU and UD/Mercy etc. didn't have this sort of program in place years back ... parts of Detroit might still have significant enclaves of Univ faculty and staff that now seem to populate Huntington Woods and the GPs.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3574
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent!! maybe some other employers will do the same

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2196
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There was/is a similar homebuyers program in place with Yale University re faculty and staff buying a home in New Haven, CT. (I think it is a little bit more generous than the UDM program described in the article but it is the same sorta thing, a healthy chunk of $ to assist with the DP and then a bit a year follow-on for 10 years.)"

Rustic, this is the first that I have ever heard of Detroit Mercy having 'extra cash' to give out. Went to school there for five years--it always seemed as though there wasn't enough money to do everything that need/wanted to be done.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3268
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd gladly do that if UDM gave me a job.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2198
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The program is voluntary and will be open to full-time employees from top administrators to clerical support to groundskeeping and maintenance workers."

Sounds like all you have to do Lilpup is trim a few bushes and maybe cut some grass or restock the toilet paper each day...

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 595
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear you Lilpup!<313>

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.