Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Voter's guide « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a copy in the mail last night. I understand all of the complexities in the presidential race but there is a proposal that is flying under the radar that surprised me.

It is written in double-speak and is about the schools participating in investigations. I was wondering if anyone had any comments on this or could provide a link to a page that explains the proposal. I tried the clerk's office, but they still have stuff from Jackie Curry up there and it looks woefully out of date.

Thanks

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found a short article in the Freep here: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071227/NEW S01/712270317/1003 only after searching several times on Google. Searches with the News and Freep seach engines turned up nothing.

It's always hard for Detroiters to stay informed on local ballot issues on anything other than a mayor's race. We're so lucky to have not one, but two newspapers serving 900,000 Detroiters so well with their in-depth coverage of local issues. (sarcasm intended)

Incidentally, I looked at the Clerk's site and it seems up to date to me. Janice Winfrey and all.
Even so, I'm not sure they are allowed to offer much more than the language that's on ballot.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3168
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Government entities are not allowed to take a position on any issue.

But they are allowed to provide "educational" material about what people are voting on.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6949
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a pity that Barack Obama, John Edwards and others will not be on the ballot due to this state violation of where to start putting the primaries. How come that IOWA, NEVADA, SOUTH CAROLINA AND NEW HAMPSHIRE put their primaries and caucuses early and Michigan get violated? Maybe the candidates want the Michigan primaries to stay on August for the key position on the 2008 election. At least Hillary R. Clinton is still on the ballot so she got Michigan in the bag.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtownguy,

I looked at the site and was guided to news/information. I clicked on something labeled similar to brochure, up pops Jackie!

I had a hard time searching it too. That link did a world of good when explaining it. I am amazed at how hard govt in general makes these proposals to read. I have the same issues with laws and regulations from the Feds. You would hope that it is just the work of lawyers gone bezerk and not anything menacing.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For future reference, there is a great independent site for local election information: www.publius.org. Unfortunately, it hasn't been updated since November's election, so I'm not sure if it's still active.

The site provided links to candidates' web pages, or if they didn't have one, allowed them to post a statement of their positions on publius.org. Of course, the info was all hyped by the candidates, but it was nice to have one single source where you could see where they stood on the issues. It was the only way I was informed in the last school board election. Certainly don't find that much in the dailies. Sigh.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.