Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Fairlane Town Center in the 70's & 80's » Archive through January 06, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3554
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Fairlane with a bunch of buddies in 78 or so, just to ride the monorail and check out the chicks. Wandered around the Hyatt until someone kicked us out.

Now in my 40's, I understand why maybe the hyatt didn't want a bunch of people wandering around that had no business there.

Ednaturnblad
Username: Ednaturnblad

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at FTC on the day it opened...I remember the great anticipation! We had never seen anything like it. Three floors of stores? Completely enclosed? Grand fountain, movie theatres, ice rink, monorail, four department stores, glass elevators? (we had no idea what a Lord & Taylor was, but we couldn't wait to find out!). That first day, me and my friends were at the mall for eight hours. We went back again the next day for more. Most of the stores that were there are long gone, but I still shop there fairly regularly. Retail shopping in downtown west Dearborn is all but gone...it's just a bunch of bars and restaurants.

The complexion of the crowds has changed at FTC, but why not? Thirty years ago there were far more shopping options in the city of Detroit. When those went away, where else were people supposed to go? I've heard some Dearborn bluebloods wishing FTC would close, but I don't see that happening. They are going to build a P.F.Chang's where Saks is, so that shows an investment. Sure, they will never build malls like FTC, 12 Oaks, Lakeside again...they are out of fashion. I think it's by far the most diverse mall in the region, and that's good. I just hope it doesn't suffer the same fate as Northland...in disrepair and largely empty.

Elevator_fan
Username: Elevator_fan

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Onthe405, Charles Luckman, not John Portman, was the architect of the Hyatt Regency Dearborn. Admittedly, the design is a clone of the landmark Hyatt Regency Atlanta.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C harles_Luckman

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 759
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why did FTC fall into decline, if it is right next to Ford World Headquarters? How much crime could a mall attract? And who is causing the crime? Is it still an issue?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11226
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at Anton's Menswear from 1979 until June of '81. Knew every inch of that mall, service hallways and all!

In my mall-prime, I had friends working in every restaurant in the place...either never had to pay for a meal or always got lots of extras.

Wearing three-piece suits to work, nobody at the Toll Gate or Jonathon B Pub ever carded me...I was drinking at seventeen!

Those were the days...sold Alexander Zonjic his first wardrobe. Still remember

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6934
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Fairlane Mall opened in 1976 There were NO blacks shopping there at the time under Mayor Orville Hubbard. Today there are more blacks, and Arabs shopping there then ever. The first time when I went to Fairlane Mall in 1988 on my class trip. I went to the movies at Fairlane. It's was 2 floors with 20 theaters. By the 1990s United Artists took over and the theater fell low and closed in the late 1990s. By 1999 Star Theaters came and build their 20 seat theater outside of the mall. They have a great nacho loco bar and best refreshments ever, that's until greedy ole' AMC bought all of Star Theaters and change the concession stands to their boring liking.

It's a pity that Lord and Taylor closed down because Macy's with their greedy selves bought Marshall's Fields years after Marshall Field's bought Hudson's. For over the years Fairlane Mall recieve more kids hanging in loitering in the mall like its no tommorrow. So they created the policy to tell kids under the age of 18 to leave the mall after 5:00pm every 7 days. The plan really worked every good. Fairlane Mall is becoming a family patron mall again.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 620
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Police records would have be examined to definitively ID the source of crime, but somewhere along the way during the 80s the tenor changed. The easy answer is that Detroiters brought bad behavior and then criminality. But that's not the whole story: Detroiters of all stripes (in my experience - I saw their ID as they wrote checks) shopped there, presumably from the first days.

There's probably a dissertation in the question, but something triggered an escalation to rowdyism and then gangsterism. What? I don't know - was there a tipping point or a societal change? Don't know, but I did watch known long-time visitors & shoppers get pushed out by horrific acts: young teens being set upon by violent hordes, aggressive sexual advances, verbal and physical attacks upon men perceived to be gays, etc. Then robberies, and two near-murders. Imperceptible to shoppers was the growing rate of fraudulent transactions (e.g.counterfeit money, checks w/out sufficient funds).

In hindsight I see no evidence of a societal shift, but I do see a mall that drifted into the hands of the lumpen proletariat. Maybe it's better today, but when I left it it resembled the old Irving Theater in my old 'hood: a formerly decent place that became a gathering place for undesireables. Too many innocent victims were paraded before me -white and black- to allow me to feel safe enough to return.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rode the cherry hill bus to fairlane alot as a kid. never was afraid back then. now i go to fairlane i just get lost most of the places i remember are gone. go to steve&barry,s and get out.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember riding the monorail as a child. Loved it.

The first link on this page shows the monorail was demo'ed in 1988. Today the McDonalds is where the staion was, where the mall floors open up and the 1.5 level appears.

I personally think the Fairlaine food court was a big part of the malls revival. I go to sears at lunch to buy hand tools.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 860
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mention of Anton's Menswear brings back memories! AAA had a business and data processing office across the street (to the north) on Hubbard Drive.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 621
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DH - revival? Any sense of what proportion of the store fronts are empty? On my last visit (few years back) around half were covered over.

Anyone shopping evenings or weekends? I knew these to be the scarier times.

How about Mary, the tough security guard: still on patrol? Skinny black guy (Calvin?) who was mediating a dispute over a parking space and was deliberately hit by a 36th district judge?

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 338
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at a Canadian, clothing store, called Le Chateau at the time. They carried the European Pop look.... a lot of black and creative colors to match. The people who worked there were at least 20 years younger than I, and I learned a lot about the music of the time. I went to concerts with them and saw, Ministry and The Cure to name a few. We split up musically in the early 90's when I flipped out over Primus (LOL). All three of their stores closed in this area in the early 90's.

(Message edited by Ladyinabag on January 05, 2008)

Sbradke
Username: Sbradke

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up hanging up at Fairlane too... I ice skated, saw Rocky Horror at midnight many times. My first job was there; I worked at the Limited Express from 81 until 83. Even by that time the mall was getting a bit rougher. The mall opened when I was in middle school and kids would spend the whole day there when there wasn't school.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 503
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I somewhat shop there on a regular basis, it is the closest mall to downtown Detroit where I live. Yes, the demographics have changed from the time my mom used to drag me there in the 80s to get her "hair done" at Saks' salon. However, the demographics haven't changed so much compared to other inner ring Metro Detroit Malls which have a completely inner city/urban environment like Northland aside from Macy's.
Fairlane still has a lot of national chain stores besides the department stores (Express, Victoria's Secret, Coach, American Eagle, Hollister, etc.) However, some other national chains have left and have been replaced by "urban wear" stores. So what you get is a somewhat diverse mix of patrons. Go into Hollister or American Eagle and the racial makeup is probably 90% white and yes there are more than 5 people shopping, go into an urban wear store and it's 90% black, go into a department store and it's diverse. Other stores (especially the department stores) have a huge Middle Eastern following as Dearborn's Arabic population continues to boom.

I'm a little white boy and have never had any problems there or even at Northland which I still go to. I truly believe that as long as people are respectful of others most people won't find themselves in harm's way.

BTW, H&M was a wonderful addition to the mall and between this store and Express I finally can find clothes that fit me well!

Metro Detroiters just can't continue to be fearful and flee away from businesses because they don't like how all of the clientele looks. Fairlane is a decent mall with decent stores and everyone has to continue to support it unless you want another abandoned hulk.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 764
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is it with the fear of clientele that is a different colour? I have been to parts of Detroit, where my friend and I were the only whites around, and we had a blast with the black residents. Respect each other, and nothing happens. :-)

I can't believe people would stop shopping at mall, because it got a little more black.

Everytime I visit Detroit, my parents and I end up at Lakeside Mall.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It may be just a patch deeper than the type of shoppers. Maybe it's just the cultural/personal preference and overall income of the shoppers. For example, malls that are majority white are filled with stores that satisfy the white shoppers (such as American Eagle), yet at the same time, malls that are majority black are filled with stores that satisfy the black shoppers. For example, you wouldn't put a medical supply company inside a mall where the age of the shoppers are generally below 40.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on January 05, 2008)

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 238
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still shop at Fairlane all the time...I worked at the Radio Shack there from 2002-2005. We were the 2nd highest volume RS (behind the RS in Lincoln Park)in the district for most of the time I worked there.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 504
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike, I totally agree with you and try to convince all of my peers of the same thing.

It's funny, my canadian friends and relatives sound just like you!

I can tell you a little bit about why this happens: There is a perception (somewhat based on fact?) that Black citizens, mainly Black males cause more harm and crime than any other group of people. People don't want to put themselves in a dangerous situation and feel that when they are outnumbered, something bad might happen. That's a lot of what it is.

Please... let's not threadjack this thread to race baiting and keep on topic.

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 219
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had no idea Le Chateau had ever ventured into the Detroit-area market. They are still around--if you consider Windsor to be local--they are alive and well at Devonshire.

I think Fairlane has a tough road to hoe as far as continuing forward. I used to go fairly frequently, and the wife also, as it was the closest L&T location to us...a store she likes. Eventually I noticed we were going just to go to L&T and rarely ventured into the mall. Then L&T closed and there was no longer a reason to continue going. Unfortunately, as stores disappear in a center, this downward trend can be difficult to stop (Summit Place). I do think adding stores such as H&M and Steve & Barry's is a good start--and the food court helps too, no doubt. My impression, having moved to this area in '93 was that Fairlane was a bit overbuilt--that is, in my time visiting, there were always empty storefronts--in particular in that Lord & Taylor wing which is now sealed off. Perhaps demo-ing that wing and Saks will reduce the center to a more realistic size. The good news is that Taubman has deep pockets and doesn't seem to be ready to throw in the towel on the property.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1970
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True story: in the mid 80s I was shopping at Fairlane and had to take a leak, the big gulp I had ingested wanted out. I went to the nearest restroom, which was one of the mall rest rooms off of the main concourse. After taking care of business, while washing my hands I couldn't help but notice this huge graffiti on the adjacent stall wall: "N______S (N-words), leave Fairlane now, we gave you Northland"

A bit of the old Dearborn for all to see.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's sad that we can't even shop with racial harmony here in Metro Detroit.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 175
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this thread is a great reminder for me to go to fairlane, hope the disney store is still open. if i dressed better and had more money id, go to fairlane, but my shopping on mich ave stops at the home depot@ gulley.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 190
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they got h&m, express, aldo, and g by guess
works for me

i would argue that the clients are not too different than lakeside or oakland

the lakeside snobs have relocated to partridge creek

the ftc macy's is long overdue for an upgraded interior though

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 343
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fastcarsfreedon-

Le Chateau was in Illinois and some east coast states as well. I think that they were in New York if I recall. I went to Windsor and Sarnia to their stores. I really liked that company. They were really fashion-forward for the time. It took a couple of years, but a lot of other stores later, followed their lead. They were the first to bring back the coulotte, and the little black, spandex dress....very pop-goth.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6938
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miketoronto,

You quote that I can't believe people would stop shopping at mall, because it got a little more black.

Yes it's true! Like I wrote to everyone in this forum. When Fairlane opened in 1975 There NO blacks walking in the mall. Mayor Hubbard make sure that Fairlane would be a "WHITES ONLY" family shopping mall. By the early 1980s black families with their kids started to shop there. Hubbard didn't see it coming. Racial graffiti on the bathroom stalls and walls telling blacks to leave Fairlane Mall will not do. Black folks still continue to shop there. Thanks to the increase of bus transportation on D-DOT and SMART, more black folks and black kids continue to shop there. Than more white patronage at Fairlane Mall started to decrease. By the mid 1990s not just black kids and teens wanted to shop there but Arabs and hispanics came as well. As family patronage at the mall had started to decrease The Taubman management decided to install the new mall policy. No kids and teens under the age of 17 at the mall after 5:00pm. without an adult. The policy is working and family patronage at the mall has increased.

At Northland Mall there more black patronage than whites. Most white folks don't want to shop there anymore.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like Chis Rock says: "there are two kinds of malls, the kind where white people shop, and the kind where white people used to shop"

Gannon

Post Number: 11231
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno Danny, methinks you've your dates wrong.

I worked in the mall in the late seventies and early eighties. It was integrated pretty well back then, and security clamped down on ANY group of young boys clearly going around together...kept most of us off the ol' fountain after we sat there a while.

One of my closest high school friends is black, and we never, EVER had any trouble shopping, walking, and simply hanging out in Fairlane Center.

Things MAY have been different when the mall opened, but we were regulars there from about 1978 onwards. I don't even REMEMBER any Dearborn police in the mall unless there was an arrest to be made...it was always Taubman's reasonably efficient security. THEY were integrated, also.

Orville Hubbard suffered a stroke in 1974. I moved into Dearborn in 1975-6 time frame, his legacy was drying up well before he finally made it to his very black grave.

Shame its momentum carries it even today in the minds and hearts of a few lingering racists residents.

Mikeydbn
Username: Mikeydbn

Post Number: 357
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Children's Palace store, located on the mall drive loop.
You can see it in the old postcard picture that Detroitgalaxian posted a link to.

fairlane

The stores had the distinctive triple arched entrance.

childworld

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it's late to throw this in. Please, don't refer to that shopping mall surrounded by thousands of parking spots as "Fairlane".

"Fairlane" is the 1920's scottish baronial mansion (and landscaped grounds) Henry Ford built for his wife Clara on the banks of the Rouge River, now on the U of M-Dearborn campus.

That tired and tacky old collection of stores Ford Motor Land Development built on hundreds of acres of the old Ford estate is "The Town Center" at best.

Gannon

Post Number: 11233
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's funny, Alan, thanks for the reminder!

When I was typing in my rebuttal to Danny's comments, I HAD to add 'Center'...I guess I still respect ol' Hank the Once's legacy...racist that HE was, too.

heh