Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Rumor: Utrecht Moving « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 299
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard a rumor that Utrecht Art store will be moving to South University Village when it is complete. This falls in line with other rumors that suggest Wayne State (who own that complex) plan to level the area and construct a large high tech auditorium and lecture hall. Currently the largest auditorium @ WSU is in the Community Arts building which has proven to be much to small for major speakers such as the mayor and more recently Dr. Kevorkian.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 474
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That doesn't sound like something that should be located along Woodward, if you ask me.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2201
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"That doesn't sound like something that should be located along Woodward, if you ask me."

An auditorium?? There are many theatres.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 476
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a difference between an entertainment destination like the Fox and a campus lecture hall.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4304
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rebuild Gen Lectures, build a new union with an auditorium over the Student Center, but don't take successful retail off of that part of Woodward.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11147
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WSU dropped the ball (IMO) with their welcome center and their use of eminent domain on the other corner of Warren and Woodward. Hopefully they learned a little from that mistake.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 493
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, the location makes perfect sense for a college conference center - I'm thinking about something like what MSU has with plenty of meeting rooms, etc (Kellogg Conference and Hotel).

The theatres around there are not laid out or sufficient for small to mid-level academic conferences. And putting it on Woodward makes it accessible as well as links it straight to downtown. Not to mention, if you can, for flexibility and cost if you plan on doing a lot of events you want to own the venue.

L_b_patterson
Username: L_b_patterson

Post Number: 334
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the rumour I heard years ago had to do with that corner definitely involving a hotel. A major university without a major hotel on its campus? Absurd.

Jt1

Post Number: 11148
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adding a hotel changes my opinion drastically.

Jt1

Post Number: 11149
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adding a hotel changes my opinion drastically.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 395
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because a dumpy arcade was so much cooler than a welcome center? Good thing that cheese got moved.

Jt1

Post Number: 11150
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The corner certainly offered more to the average passer by than the current, rarely if ever used welcome center.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6861
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw shucks, you got me reminiscing about Z's Place and Roscoe's now.

And yeah, it was a dumpy arcade. Z's Place is now Z's Villa up on PIquette & Woodward- great pizza as well.

Jt1

Post Number: 11151
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that Zs villa was open at the same time as Z Place and has stayed open.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6863
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, you might be right. I never ventured up to the Villa when the Place was right there for me to enjoy a frosty beverage & a slice of their pizza.

Jt1

Post Number: 11153
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could be wrong too - time blurs together. Can anyone confirm definitively?

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 523
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yah, I'm pretty sure the intention is to clear the Woodward/Warren site to develop a hotel and conference center. I just wish that there would be care taken with the few historic buildings that are there. From my understanding, there isn't much consideration regarding them...kind of like the Chatsworth when they were demolished.

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jt1 wrote:

The corner certainly offered more to the average passer by than the current, rarely if ever used welcome center.

obviously you haven't been to the Welcome Center, it is a very high use building on campus

Tiorted

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think this is related to any possible development but I saw that the Christian Science Reading Room on Cass south of Warren has vacated

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd hardly say the Welcome Center is "high use."

I'd reckon that the only reason most students have even visited the Welcome Center is to pick up their student ID.

I could be wrong, but the building seems strangely empty to me.

Tiorted

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'd reckon that the only reason most students have even visited the Welcome Center is to pick up their student ID.

I could be wrong, but the building seems strangely empty to me.

you are wrong, here is a list of all the offices in the building:

financial aid
undergrad admissions
transfer credit
parking
one card
cashiers office
grad admissions
accounts receivable
international student services

(Message edited by tiorted on January 09, 2008)

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point taken,

However, most of those offices are quite small, requiring few employees and even fewer student contacts.

Financial Aid, Parking, and One Card (aside from getting your picture taken) are mostly done online or over the telephone.

I don't know what type of traffic the Grad Admissions and Cashiers offices get, but I stand by my original point, that the building seems strangely empty and ill-used. I work next-door to the building, and seemingly the only time when the building is busy, is when Wayne is doing New Student orientation.

Mdoyle

Post Number: 301
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The welcome center is really only busy with students during the summer for new student orientation. During that time its jammed with new students. It makes a pretty good impression on newcomers also. But the rest of the time its primary function is an office building and its also pretty full. If you've been to the upper floors you find it is a very poorly layed out building which might give it a sense of emptiness. Id really like to see something big on the opposite corner.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4475
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news for CCS students, their walk will be slightly shorter.

It was a bummer when they moved out from the ground floor of the Park Shelton to consolidate Utrecht and Charrette's <sp> at the current location. That was basically an art store right on the campus of an art school. Seemed to make a lot of sense to me, but I guess it didn't have as much space as the other location.

I also miss Z's Place. Their jumbalaya was some of the best around.

Mdoyle

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Good news for CCS students, their walk will be slightly shorter."

Their walk will actually be quite a bit longer. Utrecht is currently at Warren and Woodward and would be moving to Woodward between Hancock and Canfield. That's Further away for everyone.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4487
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, you're right.

Ah well, Michiganders need more exercise.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"WSU dropped the ball (IMO) with their welcome center and their use of eminent domain on the other corner of Warren and Woodward. Hopefully they learned a little from that mistake."

^^ Mistake? did I miss something in the news?

Jt1

Post Number: 11156
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was talking about the design and use of the building at such a prominent corner. The main floor is typically empty and doesn't really lend itself to any feeling of that being a vibrant area.

The mistake comment is that it is my opinion the design of the building and use of the corner was a mistake by WSU.

(Message edited by jt1 on January 09, 2008)

Digitalvision

Post Number: 495
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a conference center - in an urban area as WSU is, you could easily stick Starbucks and other college and conference related food businesses in there and they'd make money. It's not an exclusive thing.

WSU needs a development like this because WSU needs to have the trappings of the level of school that it is to further complete it's mission, as well as anything that can be done to improve a main thoroughfare's look and feel I'm for. Beyond that, it'll generate way more economic activity than what is there now, as well as interest.

I say do it, and I'll be cheering all the way. This one makes sense in the big picture.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2256
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the idea of making that corner a conference center and hotel has been kicked around at WSU for a while.

I doubt the hotel would be built, mainly because of all the new hotel rooms that just came on line. It's also a challenging site to place a hotel. It's not impossible, but you'd have to have a pretty good guarantee of room reservations before investing the money needed to make the site work for a hotel.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Rackam (sp?) Auditorium as a result of this development. It would be great to see it put into more use, despite its small size.

An auditorium and meeting facility would be a great use for the site. As stated above, the businesses there are fairly low grade and/or the buildings poorly maintained. WSU will almost certainly continue their successful ground floor lease spaces on new buildings with the main building uses on rear/upper floors.

As for the Welcome Center, it's a pretty nice building on a marquee corner of Detroit, let alone the WSU Campus. Can't you find something better to bitch about?

Digitalvision

Post Number: 496
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know - the new hotel rooms online are downtown. If you have the choice of staying on-site for a conference or downtown, people overwhelmingly choose on-site, even for more money.

Not to mention, there aren't many visitor-friendly ways to get from downtown to midtown right now.

It's a draw of it's own and I think would totally justify a hotel. There isn't a lot as far as hotels in midtown, and frankly, people want to stay on-campus and walk to where they're going when on a trip.

Not only for conferences, but parents coming into town for graduations, DIA events, etc. etc.

Jt1

Post Number: 11157
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As for the Welcome Center, it's a pretty nice building on a marquee corner of Detroit, let alone the WSU Campus. Can't you find something better to bitch about?

I wasn't aware that people were only limited to critique one topic. Thanks for clarifying that.

My opinion is that it is an underused building on a marguee corner. WSU dropped the ball on the welcome center in my opinion.

Please be sure to let me know what I can and con not critique since I am limited to one topic in your opinion.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 478
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As for the Welcome Center, it's a pretty nice building on a marquee corner of Detroit, let alone the WSU Campus.

It is also a building that is used exclusively by people associated with the university. To me, it makes sense to place buildings like that in areas where they are convenient to the university campus, but where there is little outside traffic, since such locations aren't really viable for anything other than university buildings. Woodward and Warren are both major thoroughfares with high volumes of non-university traffic, so it seems logical to use that highly visible and accessible space for buildings that would be seen and used by non-university as well as university people. The Welcome Center isn't the worst thing that could have been built there, but it is kind of a waste of that space. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'd like to see the Welcome Center torn down, but I don't think Wayne should make a habit of placing campus buildings along major roads.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.