Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Help my sis party on her bday « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1768
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

next saturday my sis wants to party it up for her 23rd. I'm trying to plan a good night for a 23 year old. Any suggestions? I think she dug Northern Lights as one stop.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If she likes Northern Lights she'll love Honest Johns.

I'd recommend spending a good portion of your night at that bar.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1769
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ha thanks, I personally dig Honest Johns but i don't know if it is her bag.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kind of vibe is she into? I'm a Tom's Tavern kind of person myself (that's west side, but if you are an east sider and you think the old Honest Johns, back when he was on Field Street and still drinking himself, you're on the right track) but since I am a Professor I can seek advice from folks much closer to her age.

Having said that, Tom's is the perfect place for any kind of party whatsoever, so long as they happen to be open the night you want to party. The annual Babe Ruth party is a night to remember, except you won't.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1770
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she wants dancing i guess

Spaceman_spiff
Username: Spaceman_spiff

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If she likes electronic music, there are dance parties going on that night. Here in Detroit, theres an event at corktown tavern. In Ann Arbor, there's a party at the Metro Cafe. I'm planning on hitting up the Metro, I went last month and had a great time.

-spiff

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Comet Bar I went for the first time a couple of weeks ago. What a riot!

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

somewhat of a thread jack, but is Buzz Bar still open?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2702
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Buzz is still closed, but we heard from the owner over the holidays that they plan to reopen soon.

For the birthday girl, what about the "Torch With A Twist" show? It's music combined with performance art with a little burlesque thrown in!
We were at the Christmas Show at Cliff Bell's with an SRO crowd. A really fun night!!

This month they are performing in a new space at the 601 Studio on Washington Blvd. Friday, Jan 11 and Saturday, Jan 12. Check out their MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/torchtw ister

Here's a couple of Metro Times pieces:

From bizarre to burlesque
http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=11384

Torch song: Detroit’s one-of-a-kind circus sideshow vaudeville burlesque variety revue
http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=12017

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comet Bars is gone too

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comet Bar is gone too

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 260
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No More Comet? Billy sold out?

Bpjeff
Username: Bpjeff

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the Comet last Saturday. I heard that Billy sold to Ilitch and that he is looking to reopen at another location.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 506
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Billy sold out?

Debatable. I've heard different stories myself. I know Billy took a second job as early as last summer. He also cleaned house of his oldest employees. Last time I was there was between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 4:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard THE BUZZ is supposed to reopen on the 25th of Jan.
Call first!

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 850
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Detroit closes down the wrong bars/clubs. But I will woo-sah and move on. Northern Lights is only good for a late night stop, because it doesn't get going until 11pm. If/when Buzz opens back up, I'd stop by there too. I would suggest Magic Stick as a start, then follow the cars to whatever's hot.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 292
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, thats what i always figured. Billy selling, good for him. I thought Illitch would buy the property. He probably got a good price for it. Good Luck ! Billy Meth!!

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, where did she go?

Chitaku

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we ended up going to town pump and then to a loft party after followed by Dulys. it was a good time

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad you were right there when I posted. Thanks for the update!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.