Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Jim Madaus weather live on WWJ-TV channel 62 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hawthorne
Username: Hawthorne

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WWJ-TV (CBS O&O/channel 62) began airing a short weather forecast live at 11pm on Monday, January 7th featuring veteran meteorologist Jim Madaus. They have also updated their local weather inserts in "The Early Show" from 7 to 9am to include Jim and new electronic graphics. Has anyone caught any of these yet?

This is a small step forward in the station's plan to do more local production and brand itself as a more "hometown" station. Opinions are welcome.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2077
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Jim Madaus was Channel 7, WXYZ. Did he jump ship?
I miss Shay.

Hawthorne

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim started at WXYZ in 1984. Previously, he had been seen on WJRT-TV in Flint, WMTV-TV in Madison, Wisconsin, and WREX-TV in Rockford, Illinois. Later, he was the weatherman at WKBD and WWJ-TV until their newscast was cancelled in November 2002. He served as a weekend and fill-in guy again at WXYZ over the next few years.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm actually glad Shay is gone, she really got on my last nerves.

I heard about the Jim Madaus thing a while ago, and I'm happy for him.

(Message edited by detroitrise on January 09, 2008)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2204
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't he used to be on channel 50's 10:00 newscast back in the day? Also, at least at some point, he also did weather in Toledo like a few years ago. I think that was when he was doing the weekend forecast on WXYZ.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 201
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Shay on 7 just last weekend. Is she gone?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1358
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She hasn't been on there lately, that Jeremy Eisen kid has.

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shay is following her husband to New York, just in case anyone didn't know. She's gone for good.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 542
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Shay is following her husband to New York, just in case anyone didn't know. She's gone for good."

She was on maternity leave since November. She was on all last weekend.

Hawthorne

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul, as I mentioned earlier, Jim was on the WKBD (channel 50) newscast until it was cancelled.

Hawthorne

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone see the new weathercast and have any feedback on it?

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 231
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shay Ryan IS leaving, she just hasn't yet. And it looks like they're keeping this Eisen guy in her place as he's now been integrated into WXYZ's weather promos.

Also, JM was once the go-to guy at WXYZ--he was eventually replaced in the lead role when Hodak decided to give up doing the news on Channel 2 and came back to 7.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hawthorne, the graphics are a tad outdated, but his forecasts are still good as ever.

I haven't payed attention, but I know WXYZ copied right off the NWS Detroit/Pontiac's forecast. I'm not sure if Jim does the same thing at CBS.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 561
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hawthorne, caught Jim Mathis a fe days ago, solid as ever, but the Channel 7 UberDoppler graphics are tough to beat.

What I like about Jim Mathis is that he's a regular guy and just delivers the weather without the silliness. I hope that Channel 62 gets (back?) into the news business. Seems I remember they dipped their toe into the News a few years back but it was short lived. yes? We could stand for channel that delivers local news, and not a bunch of newswire feeds from whoKnowsWhere.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, it's Madaus, MADAUS!

Yeah, we're the only CBS affiliate without a NewsCast.

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 232
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be great to see WWJ with a full news operation--the lack of it hurts the CBS Evening News for one thing, as well as The Early Show. It's all a cost/benefit deal--with the local advertising market the way it is right now, it may not be the best time to make the leap into news...but I'd love to see it. Lots of talent out there to lure--Emery King, Eric Wilson...the list goes on...

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 562
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise, thanx for the correction ...:-)

Hawthorne

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the comments--I'll pass them along.

Fastcarsfreedom, I'd like to see local news come back as well. Sister station WKBD had news for about 15 years. They were the first and only 10pm newscast in Detroit for a couple years, and later, the only full-hour newscast in town, until WJBK switched its affiliation to Fox. For about a year-and-a-half, WWJ-TV had local news at 11pm which shared resources with WKBD's 10pm news. They were broadcast from the same studio with the same crew--just different producers and anchors.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 842
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad their website sucks ass. I thought WWJ was giving up producing their own shows in house anymore.

Hawthorne

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Genesyxx, please elaborate on what you don't like about the website.

WWJ-TV still produces "Michigan Matters", a half-hour weekend political discussion program hosted by Public Affairs Director Carol Cain. They also produced a two-hour special about trade with China as a first step towards even more local production.

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shay Ryan was on the 5:00 PM news Tuesday, January 15. Looks like she had the baby. Anyone know when and what she had?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.